Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:26 pm  Post subject: Stupid VCD/SVCD question

Blood Sucking Freak
Hey guys,
I have looked around for the answers to this question, but I've come up empty handed.

I am going to switch from DivX to SVCD so that I can play movies on my standalone DVD player.

Now, I see a lot of SVCD movies in .bin/.cue format, which I understand how to burn. My question is in the filesize of the .bin files. Most are 750 mb+

Do I have to overburn these, or does something happen when burning that compresses the files down to a regular size so that they'll fit on a regular 700mb disc (without overburning).

For example, I have Terminator 3 disc 1, it's 800.93 mb in bin/cue format. Am I going to be able to burn this conventionally or what?

I am confused, I know that this is probably a newbie question, but I'd like some help!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:30 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
i think you can burn up to about 800mb on a 80min cd in svcd bin/cue format you may have to overburn that one over 800mb but it should be fine,i've done em in the past with fireburner or nero and all came out ok :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:36 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
The bin files for vcd formats are bigger, sometimes up to 850 mb, but they should fit a standard 700mb cd when you burn them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:43 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Thanks!
You guys are awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:44 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Bassline wrote:
i think you can burn up to about 800mb on a 80min cd in svcd bin/cue format you may have to overburn that one over 800mb but it should be fine,i've done em in the past with fireburner or nero and all came out ok :D

Change think to know because i can confirm that.
SVCDs do not have the error correction like normal data discs.

BTW, if your not sure if stuff fits without overburning. If it can't do it it will spit out an error. You can also mount the image with alcohol 120% and you'll see it's 'actual' size

I'd recommend burning all cue/bin files with alcohol. It is specially created for that purpose and has mounting feature built in so you don't need daemon tools too :)

edit: that was fast

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:53 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
i don't have alcohol or daemon tools heh....always used fireburner for bin/cue only trouble i've ever had was having to edit the cue in notepad to the correct filename but usually works a treat :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:58 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Bassline wrote:
i don't have alcohol or daemon tools heh....always used fireburner for bin/cue only trouble i've ever had was having to edit the cue in notepad to the correct filename but usually works a treat :D

waste of cds burning stuff. 6cds to a DVD-r and mount. A lot better than having to buy 6cds :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:13 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Bassline wrote:

waste of cds burning stuff. 6cds to a DVD-r and mount. A lot better than having to buy 6cds :)

one slight problem,no dvd-r drive here :wink: and i doubt i'll get one any time soon....the only thing that does put me off of burning 6 movies to one dvd-r (if i had one) would be if there's corruption or a scratch or some other bad shit going on then that's 6 movies you've lost and not just the one like as on a cd-r :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:19 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
What is this "Alcohol" that you speak of?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:31 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Bassline wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Bassline wrote:

one slight problem,no dvd-r drive here :wink: and i doubt i'll get one any time soon....the only thing that does put me off of burning 6 movies to one dvd-r (if i had one) would be if there's corruption or a scratch or some other bad shit going on then that's 6 movies you've lost and not just the one like as on a cd-r :(

oh sorry I thought you were one of us. :( As for the scratching I've never bust anything by getting it scratched, crcs on cds on the other hand! Never had a DVD-r bust on me and been burning since January :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:33 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
SPAZZ wrote:

vodka and lots and lots of it :mrgreen:

@spud i'm afraid i'm not one of "you" yet....but i may well be asking santa for a dvd-r soon....any good links to a cheap site for em? :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:45 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Bassline wrote:
SPAZZ wrote:

vodka and lots and lots of it :mrgreen:

@spud i'm afraid i'm not one of "you" yet....but i may well be asking santa for a dvd-r soon....any good links to a cheap site for em? :D

not off hand, 121cdr were boasting about how cheap they were selling the pioneer (I have 105, the latest model is 106 (4/2x -r, 8/4/2x +r)) pretty cheap

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

It's pimped out right away
A high quality DVD rewriter for use with DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W
?83.48 inc VAT

They are a quality make. Be less inclined to commit to brand makes, cdr and dvdr are different technologies too... I was dissapointed with the plextor -r/+r burner

Quote:
The Pioneer 106 is now the worlds best selling DVD+/- DVD rewriter. When you consider that it is not the cheapest DVD rewriter available, you can really appreciate the excellent reputation it has achieved. It is that excellent reputation that has put it at the top of the sales charts.

The Pioneer 106 can write to DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CDR and CDRW discs.

DVD+/-R write-once recording is 4 speed so you can write a full 4.7GB disk in approx. 15 minutes (this will require 4x rated DVD+/-R media)

Pressed DVD-ROM reading is at 12-speed (6 Speed for DVD-R-HS & 4 Speed for DVD-RW-HS) HS=High Speed DVD-R Media.

CD-R write speed has been increased to 16x.

High-Speed CD-RW speed has been increased to 10x.

CD-ROM reading speed is 32x.

Liquid-crystal tilt mechanism is employed to eliminate any decline in recording and playback precision caused by variations in the curvature and thickness of discs.

Smart laser driver technology.

Thanks to Pioneer's original Precision Recording Technology, the DVR-106 dramatically improves the writing precision of DVD-RW and ease-of-use. Writing performance is also improved due to the application of Distributed Real-time Defect Management.

The drives strengths are its reliability and its compatibility with a wide range of DVDR media.

This is the OEM version of the drive. It does not come in a retail box, and no software, cables, manual or installation screws are included.

This unit comes with a 1 year guarantee from the date of purchase.

We offer various pieces of software to help you get the most out of your Pioneer DVD Recorder. We suggest you look at the following sites for a description of each piece of software: -

http://www.nero.com (Fast, ultra-stable, powerful, and user-friendly)

http://www.vob.de (The most complete CD/DVD Recording suite available)

http://www.sonic.com (Make your own professional DVD's complete with menus!)

Shipping cost will be calculated and displayed by the website before you finalise your order. The price below is inclusive of VAT.

Works well with every brand of DVD-r i've personally used, but some older crappy dvd-r don't work with it (which aren't manufactored anymore)

@SPAZZ, search brings out:
Alcohol.120%.v1.4.7.1005-CORE.ShareReactor.rar

Should be fine, hundreds of sources

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:47 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
They have a liteon for ?116 too, seem to be doing well but pioneer has sold the most (bare in mind how misleading that is, they were in the market longer than the likes of liteon, but they still battled off sony etc.)

Here's a review of the 106:
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.p ... tent&id=53

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:50 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
thanks for the link spud :D

thats some cheap stuff, i thought they where getting close to a oner but 84 quid inc vat is a steal also didn't realise the media had come down in price that much as last time i looked they where about 4 quid each :?

now lets see if the wife has 85 quid i can err borrow from her :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:01 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
they do free postage and packaging sometimes. Sign up to their buyers club (use a free account if u don't like newsletters)

I buy all my discs from there, cheap and fast stuff and some great offers