Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:59 am  Post subject: Updated standalone settings?

Skull Full Of Maggots
I'm encoding some vids and wondering if I should use 2 b frames or just 1. Even bluray players can play divx/xvid avi files now but I'm not sure if the divx profile now allows this or not. Most of the time I only use 1 b frame anyways so should I keep doing that or is it now alright to use 2?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:03 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

The Ancient One
I always use 2 consecutive B-frames when encoding to XviD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:01 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

Skull Full Of Maggots
elchupacabra wrote:
I always use 2 consecutive B-frames when encoding to XviD.

I want to use 2 from now on I think. Maybe it'll be safe as long as I don't also use qpel, gmc or a custom matrix. As I understand in the past 2 b frames was okay for DIVX as long as there's no packed bitsream.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:54 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

The Ancient One
Don't use QPEL, GMC and Packed Bitstream if you want standalone friendly encodes. A custom matrix should be no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:45 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

Skull Full Of Maggots
I won't. Just 2 b-frames and maybe a matrix. I only ever used EQM HR. That seems more balanced for most videos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

The Ancient One
That really depends on the compressibility of the video and the file size used. You should use the final quantizer value (watch the XviD dialog for this) to decide which matrix to use. You can guess depending on compressibility and the desired file size, but usually it takes several encodes to get it right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

Skull Full Of Maggots
I've been trying some of the other matrices the past week and have been able to get about the same file sizes with 5 minute clips using increased overflow settings in encraw. For the quality though I think I like SixOfNine and Soulhunters v6 but Jawors zsm looked good too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:12 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

The Ancient One
elguaxo wrote:
Matrices: there are many nice matrices, but to simplify and ordered by Less Details/more compressibility to More Details/Less Compressibility:

Less Details/More Compressibility
Jawor's 1CD (or Soulhunters v8)
EQM V3LR
Jawor's ZSM
EQM V3HR
Heini_MR
6of9
More Details/Less Compressibility

If you get an undersize with one, use the next bigger one. If you get an oversize, use the next smaller one.

Recommended reading:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119399
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=93539
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 am  Post subject: Re: Updated standalone settings?

Skull Full Of Maggots
Okay, thanks for the infos. I admit I was a little lazy about doing the compressibility test.