Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:28 pm  Post subject: Scripts to detect defects in video encodings

Site Admin
I'm wondering if there were something like a set of scripts that i can run on a set of files that would output "bad cropping", "interlaced", etc.

Something in python would be ideal. Does anyone have anything like these?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Scripts to detect defects in video encodings

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I'm wondering if there were something like a set of scripts that i can run on a set of files that would output "bad cropping", "interlaced", etc.

you don´t need a script just donwload the rips from trusted team and will be fine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Scripts to detect defects in video encodings

Site Admin
telmoMRC wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

you don´t need a script just donwload the rips from trusted team and will be fine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is for automation and inventory, unfortunately there's not a mechanism to harness the power of the best members of this board for instant gratification :lol:
you might point it at a folder of 1000 films for example.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Scripts to detect defects in video encodings

The Devil, Probably
I really doubt that there is such a tool. I just wrote a program to make a mkv slideshow from a list of images using the x264 codec directly. I write the created x264 frames directly into a matroska container, which I write from scratch. So I know exactly what is in this container and what not. And what this container can contain and what not. I also have some lesser knowledge of the avi container. From the data in the container you cannot get any information about cropping or interlacing. At least not reliably. You would have to extract the raw frames and analyse them. Certainly not impossible, but damn hard to do. And much more profitable not to publish such a fine piece of work as open source for free. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Scripts to detect defects in video encodings

Site Admin
Quote:
At least not reliably. You would have to extract the raw frames and analyse them. Certainly not impossible, but damn hard to do.

That was what I was hoping existed; bad cropping shouldn't be that bad - you'd probably have to convert it to edges and then check the extreme edges of the screen, analysing the same areas through out the film. Definitely hard though.

I was just thinking it would be neat to extract the stats and do a bit of analysis that marks up 'imperfect' rips as "to replace" in a movie collection app.