Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:35 pm  Post subject: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!?

Buried In The Backyard
Hey I'm pretty good with torrents and stuff but this is all new to me so I could really use some help.

There is a warning at the bottom of my client that says I have received a low-ID. My download speed is only 7 or 8 kb/s from the lone movie I am currently trying to get from just one or two people. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to correct this or speed up the download rate? I'm using a program called aMule 2.2.5, It's one of the only ones I could find from a few years ago that would work with my G5 Power PC Mac since everything needs to be Intel now.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

The Ancient One
You should Google for that message. There are plenty of sites describing this problem and a solution to it.
Could you describe how you are connected to the internet? I mean your router, pc and isp setup.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Site Admin
Usually low id means its a networking/firewall issue, do you have all your ports open? You'll need both the TCP and UDP ports. You should also try another server if you aren't using KAD completely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Buried In The Backyard
It was downloading last night and said there was 8(1) seeds or whatever you call it but I was still getting only 7 kb/s and to top it all off I was uploading it to someone at 24+ kb/s!!! Talk about a kick in the nads.

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Usually low id means its a networking/firewall issue, do you have all your ports open? You'll need both the TCP and UDP ports. You should also try another server if you aren't using KAD completely.

I don't know how to see if my ports are open or how to open them one I do. I added the program to the Mac firewall thing and set it to "allow" when I set this all up the other day. I also don't know how to try another server or even to see what server I'm on... Sorry I'm so ignorant.

elchupacabra wrote:
You should Google for that message. There are plenty of sites describing this problem and a solution to it.
Could you describe how you are connected to the internet? I mean your router, pc and isp setup.

Okay I will Google it after this. I'm running an older Mac G5 and connected to DSL. The router is a Linksys running different software then it came with, forget what it's called but it's suppose to be better. lol

K, I will do this stuff and get back to you guy's. As always, thanks so much. I know everyone is busy these days and what not so taking the time to help me out means a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

The Ancient One
If you are behind a router, you need to forward several ports from your router (as spud mentioned) to your Mac in order to get a "high ID".
Your router can probably be configured via a web interface. You need to login in there and look for a section called "port forwarding" or similar.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:09 am  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Buried In The Backyard
Okay I set up my router for port forwarding and I no longer get the low-ID warning but I am still downloading pretty slow and from what I am read that's the way it goes with this so that's fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Site Admin
mule is ratio based, your nads might be a little sore for a while :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:05 am  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Buried In The Backyard
lol Two downloads in one for me with Mule... my first and my last. lol

Thanks to all who to the time to help me and "seed" though, good group of people here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Site Admin
I think mule is aging a lot, it now fits in as a super rare acquisition channel, and would be based living on a NAS along with something like SABNZBd for new things (newsgroups == no upload == negligible affect on mule downloads/uploads*)

If only everyone could / would switch to newsgroups, would be super awesome for everyone :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:11 am  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
If only everyone could / would switch to newsgroups, would be super awesome for everyone :)

Are they free yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Site Admin
Slayer wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Are they free yet?

As free as your ISP, which many carry btw.

Time vs Effort vs Money.

NNTP
Time is low
Effort is low
Upload effort is medium
Money is a couple of dollars.

Mule
Time on mule is high
Effort on mule is medium
Upload effort is low
Money is n/a

BT
Time saving on bit torrent is medium
Effort on bit torrent is medium/high
Upload effort is medium/low (seeding/ratios)
Money is n/a

NNTP has no uploads for leeching :. its not a parasitical model. Once uploaded its there, and there's no line degradation due to ACK TCP packages or floods of UDP.

Ergo, it costs me more to use bit torrent or mule as my time is more important to me than a couple of dollars.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

The Ancient One
Time does not exist. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Site Admin
elchupacabra wrote:
Time does not exist. :lol:

Time is money, my friend :googley:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 am  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

The Ancient One
Money is worthless. Some people make money by buying and selling stocks. They don't generate anything of value. Yet they are rich. So what value does money really have? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Site Admin
elchupacabra wrote:
Money is worthless. Some people make money by buying and selling stocks. They don't generate anything of value. Yet they are rich. So what value does money really have? :)

Indeed... that's my whole point, i value my time more than my money.

Emule, Bit Torrent all take more time to feed than nntp, and ultimate at 10$ a month i think that's worth it for 1000d+ retention (1134 days was the lasty 1080p film I downloaded, got it fine!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

The Ancient One
I think that a lot of people (like me) don't want to switch as long as eMule does "the same" for free. For me it's not really about the resolution of the movie. Nor do I want a 3D movie. I want a movie that is fun to watch. Sometimes I want a serious movie which makes you think. What I mean is that I don't need the BluRay rip with 4 GB file size, if there is a DVD rip with around 1 GB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Getting A "Received Low-ID" Warning, WTF Does This Mean!

Site Admin
It's a shame there's no way for you to experience it without the $3 plunge. I don't think it does the same, not by a long shot. Its vastly more inefficient in every respect except one, an uploader needs to rar and par once (but once uploaded its done, not like the retention issues on emule). I think mule is losing more people than its retaining, its very very slow, and uploading and downloading takes far too long. The technology underpinning simply is antequated, which is ironic because nntp is older.

All your other points don't really apply; nntp is a binary dumping ground, they've got plenty of old shit too, pr0n, whatever floats your boat.

Couchpotato and sickbeard really streamline a lot.