Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:35 am  Post subject: Hoping to get some guidance!

Skull Full Of Maggots
Alright let me start out by saying that I have no idea how burn a file to a DVD and be positive that it will play on my cheap ass DVD player. That being said, I was hoping on getting a little help from some of the Pro's on the site.

I just recently ran into this site and wow... its like a gold mine to me.
I downloaded the Emule client and immediatly started a few files. Five to be exact. I am under the understanding that it will take a while for me to get a good download speed, and I am okay with that. Apperently i need to keep the files on my computer and offer them as uploads to boost my personal speed and it might take a good while. Cool. So now I have these 5 files about 70-80% done each. I guess it is time to prepare to burn them to disks.

Here lies the problem! I have no idea how to go about that.
My DVD-r's hold the normal 4.7 gigs and these files are all 700mb, or around that. What I want to do is.. put these on DVD's in batches of 5-6 movies per DVD.

I have a cheap ass DVD player from walmart, Magnavox DP100MWS.

Here is what I am hoping to get some help with. Preperation, execution and clean up.

In preperation step, what programs will I be needing to get ahold of before attempting to burn? I've been reading random topics and it appears I will need to do some converting? From an AVI to another format? Also, will my DVD player be able to read any of the formats/any of the easiest formats?

Execution, what program am I burning with and what steps should be taken to put multiple movies on one disk? What options do I need to look at while making the disk that can ensure a better burn? Any tips that you can think of.

Clean-up! I know, WTF is clean up? Well, its something that could have had a better name. I do plan on ripping and sharing some of my movies soon. I actually have a fairly clear idea of what programs to download and how to go about transfering the file to Emule. I've got some movies I didnt see on here.. like the puppetmaster movies .. woo... and Heartstopper.. some other crap. Someone might like it, Im sure. This will also help my download speeds over time right?

Anyhow, again, I know next to nothing about all this. I am however, one of those people that learn quickly and enjoy the learning process. I hope to be a full-time sharer/ripper before to long on these forums.

Any help pertaining to what I have asked in this giant wall of text would be wonderful!

Thanks

Ahunt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:51 am  Post subject: Re: Hoping to get some guidance!

The Ancient One
Welcome Ahunt. I couldn't find detailed information on your DVD Player, but here is information on one with a similar name: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/mag ... 00mw8/8528

Unfortunately, it looks like a really cheap piece of crap you have there. :D

The player can't play DivX or XviD files (let alone x264). As you said you would have to convert everything you download to MPEG-2 that normal DVD-Video discs contain. But that my friend is a very slow procedure. Moreover that way you'll not be able to burn 6 movies on one DVD, that I can tell you.
A DVD can contain aprox. 4,35 GB of data (4,7 GB is the size used for marketing :(). When you convert them to MPEG-2 you probably have 1 DVD for 1 movie. Just put one of your commercial DVDs in your computer and browse it. There's not enough space for more movies with decent quality.

My suggestion is to buy a DVD player that can play MPEG-4 (DivX and XviD) files. They aren't that expensive nowadays.

The advantages of a new DVD player are:
- you can simply burn more movies to a single DVD or even a CD
- you keep your free time, because you don't have to convert anything to MPEG-2 (that can take 4-6 hours for a movie)
- you can later reshare movies for other members on the forum if the rip got unavailable on emule
- you can have subtitles for foreign language movies by simply burning the subtitle files with the video

The disadvantages are:
- you have to buy a new DVD player and throw away the one you already own (maybe give it away as a present to somebody you don't like :))

I myself was once like you converting movies to MPEG-2. But it all was so slow and sometimes failed that I simply did what I now suggest to you: get hold off a DVD player with DivX & XviD support. This is the one I have: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/phi ... -5960/7060 (looks like it is only 20$ more expensive than the Magnavox I linked to above)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:50 am  Post subject: Re: Hoping to get some guidance!

Skull Full Of Maggots
Well that is just god-aweful bad news! I would rather cut my dick off than set around 5-6 hours staring at my monitor.. just waiting.

But, here is the good news. I would call it ironic, but I know its not. Between posting that and getting back online today, I received a late christmas gift in the mail from a friend of mine. Bless her heart. It was a DVD player. I used that site you just linked to look up the capabilities.
It is a Phillips DVP3962. Says it plays everything save DVD-rw. Even says "Divx/Xvid play" right on the faceplate! So that is good!

Okay, so now I randomly have a DVD player that will play the disks.

Going back to the original post. When I burn them now, I wont need to convert anything right? Just pile them onto whatever burning program I use, seal it up.. and its good?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Hoping to get some guidance!

The Ancient One
Yes.

However most DVD players don't support specific DivX and XviD settings like: packed bitstream and quarter pixel (QPEL). So before you download something, you should check the video specifications posted with the rip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Hoping to get some guidance!

The Ancient One
Ahunt5714 wrote:
I just recently ran into this site and wow... its like a gold mine to me.

It is, eh? I know the feeling, it's what most of us had when they first saw this site.

Quote:
I downloaded the Emule client and immediatly started a few files. Five to be exact. I am under the understanding that it will take a while for me to get a good download speed, and I am okay with that. Apperently i need to keep the files on my computer and offer them as uploads to boost my personal speed and it might take a good while. Cool. So now I have these 5 files about 70-80% done each.

Nice, you're an exception to the rule: you read the FAQs and know how to download and understand how the mule works. Kudos!

Quote:
Execution, what program am I burning with and what steps should be taken to put multiple movies on one disk? What options do I need to look at while making the disk that can ensure a better burn? Any tips that you can think of.

I'm using Nero, there's copies of it available on eMule. Standard burning options in WinXP are OK to start with, but Nero just does the job better. In Nero, you just select the type of disc (DVD or CD) and then you select "Data disc". Then a pop-up window opens, giving you the option to select the file(s) you want to burn. So if you want 6 movies, you select them all (by holding down Ctrl while you click 'em) and then you press "Burn". It sounds easy, because it IS easy.

The WinXP burning option is quite simple as well: just drag the files you want to burn into the DVD drive in My Computer. After you're done you press "Burn these files".

If you're not on XP and can't get a copy of Nero, you'll have to ask other people for advice on this one, as I wouldn't know any answers.

Quote:
Clean-up! I know, WTF is clean up? Well, its something that could have had a better name. I do plan on ripping and sharing some of my movies soon. I actually have a fairly clear idea of what programs to download and how to go about transfering the file to Emule. I've got some movies I didnt see on here.. like the puppetmaster movies .. woo... and Heartstopper.. some other crap. Someone might like it, Im sure. This will also help my download speeds over time right?

If you're trying out ripping, please be patient. I myself had a hard time getting to know the program (it took me several weeks) and sometimes I'm still pretty confused about what o do to make a good rip. Every movie is different and needs a diffrent approach. It's in the details, but still.

About the puppet master movies: I found 8 different ones by using Site Search at the top of this page. So if you don't wanna spend your time ripping a movie everyone already has, use Site Search first ;)

And yes, they will help your download speeds indeed.

Good luck, Ahunt!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Hoping to get some guidance!

The Ancient One
I use K3B for burning under Linux. It is as easy as Nero and free. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Hoping to get some guidance!

The Ancient One
dvd players are cheap as ever these days though. we recently bought one here, that cost about 25 euro, and not only does it play divx and xvid, it also support sepperated subtitle files! It's a crap player, indeed, but it works, so we're all happy happy joy joy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Hoping to get some guidance!

Skull Full Of Maggots
I'd spent the majority of my time on the board so far reading through things I thought would be helpful to me and mostly neglected the "search" for movies options. I just kinda ran through the pages speed-reading the titles. I guess I missed the puppetmaster ones >_<

It's cool though. I got other things I can try to rip instead.

Oh as far Linux goes, no idea lol. I just use WinXp. So I will stick to that rather then trying to install and learn a new operating system while Im trying to learn something else at the same time =)

Okay, well... gonna try to burn these now and Ill let you guys know if I have any issues that I could be helped with. Errrr... better do the dishes first! Piling up!