Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:47 pm  Post subject: Help with ripping please

The Ancient One
Hi there i'm looking for some advice on ripping. have a few new dvds that i'd like 2 share and have been trying to rip using DVD2AVI,GraphEdit & Virtual Dub but the movie always comes out pretty crap (audio is fine) and is quite dark, blurry with movement and some colours are wrong. What is strange is that I have ripped b4 (a while ago tho) and had no problems then. i've tried divx 5.2 and 5.5 with the same result. my system is 1300mhz 100FSB Thunderbird, 640MB pc133 RAM, 30GB ata100 WD HDD, 80GB ata100 IBM HDD, Soundblaster Live! running Win2Ksp2 (clean install) and i dont think that is the problem
when ripping i'm not running anything else. any ideas/advice? should i use other apps??
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:07 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
WhO-HO-HO- !
One question at a time !

First relax though ! Propper ripping is not something you will learn in a few hours or 2 attempts....I know I'm still learning ! :D

Really it's a combination of knowledge , experience and....the RIGHT TOOLS ( very important that last one!)

If that wasn't bad enough,each step of the conversion requires a different tool(programm)....that dvd2avi you mentioned is excellent for sound, but an utter turkey when it comes to video compression/decompression...

I suggest Gordian knot rippack , wich you should be able to find at doom9 ..that is basically a graphical interface AND coordinator for & of all those little partial programms I mentioned above..It installs all the tools you need...

Seek here for a Very good guide for gordian knot : http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/dvd ... nknot.html
It has pics and all ...it really talks you thru it except subs I believe(I'm not sure -it seems the guide is updated)

One Important hthing though ! You need to install Gordian knot's CODEC pack FIRST & also !You can find both at http://www.doom9.org

It'll be daunting... print the guide ...stay calm.....
At least something will go wrong your first attempt !

So cheer up :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:36 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
wow!!!!!!!! thanks ohgodnotanotherone that was a very quick reply. didn't really mean 2 ask so much but was just frustrated as last rips i did were all fine and as far as i can tell i'm not doing anything different (though has been about 6 months).
also am using MPEG2AVI not DVD as stated above. (blinded by my frustration)
just discovered doom9 shortly after my post so maybe got yr reply telepathically :-)
thanks for your advice will look in to Gordian knot and hopefully be able to share my successes at a later date.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:37 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Official homepage of gknot:
http://gknot.doom9.org

Managed to get some really good results with it too. First time through follow the guides on the homepage and you'll shoot through :)