Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:20 pm  Post subject: Computer Question

Dead But Dreaming
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here,
My little guy did something to my computer and now some windows stuff is not working and it keeps asking me to put in my windows xp cd to replace missing files, what I want to know is if I reinstall xp will I lose my drivers and stuff or will it just replace the things I am missing?
Hope that makes sense

Thanks,
Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:20 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
It should just replace the missing/corrupted files, but from my experience it is much better to reinstall the whole system (format c:, that's the easiest solution), because some corrupted files may remain on your computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:21 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
See that's my trouble it won't let me format my c drive and having never done it before i have no idea what i'm doing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:22 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Ah, I forgot: we've got a nice help section for such questions. :) :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:23 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
oops am I posting in the wrong section sorry about that

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:54 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
did you try using your system restore save points? they are on by default.

i thought there was something like a repair function in the add/remove options in control panel.

formating c: would start you over from scratch, but maybe you could just put a partition in your harddrive and either put your original xp in there as a backup or install new xp on the partition, then see if you could copy the files that were different over.
or just start hitting it with a hammer. works for me.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:47 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
I did try a system restore and that is one of the functions that no longer works lol I will try the partition thing I think

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:18 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Easy thing ot do is "find" a copy of Partition Magic and create a smallish partition and stick any movies, pics, mp's etc on there and then format ya C drive and reinstall XP and all ya progs, thus leaving all ya movies etc still intact.

I actually have a partition for all my progs and a seperate one for all my documents, music, pics and movies, so when I have to reinstall I do not lose all my shit I have "found". :matrix: :matrix:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:09 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Partitioning is a breeze, like TaKYon says. I have a small 4GB partition for windows so if i need a reinstall, i don't lose everything.

Second partition is for incoming files, programs, some movies and warez. Third Partition is for my web server.

2nd disc is for temp files and network shares :)

Reinstalling is a breeze with XP, if you got boot from cd setup in your bios (is normally by default), then simply put your cp disc in, then press space bar when prompted to at start up. It's then ultra easy steps (like F8 = new setup, D= delete partition, C = confirm). Does everything automatically.

If you don't have boot from cd set in your bios, look for the section where you choose your boot device. I find the best order it

Floppy,
CD-rom
HDD

If it only allows 2, switch floppy to CD-rom :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:02 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I used to have 1 partition for XP, 1 for progs and 1 for media like movies and music. I merged the first 2 tho as everytime I had to reinstall XP I usually ended installing all progs again anyways, and it also made no difference to performance. Altho I do clean my registry weekly and defrag every 2 or 3 days with diskeeper, and also do a complete/name defrag with o&o defrag monthly.

I take good care of my rig, and the only problems I have ever had have been caused by me, usually thru tweaking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:23 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Third Partition is for my web server.

OMG, you're running a WWW server on WXP!!! Is it IIS? Are you into S/M? :twisted:

<hr>July, 8th - day of TLA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:25 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
graag wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Third Partition is for my web server.

OMG, you're running a WWW server on WXP!!! Is it IIS? Are you into S/M? :twisted:

<hr>July, 8th - day of TLA.

Apache - local access only.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:55 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
okay I must be doing something wrong here...I put everything I wanted to save on my E hard drive then I tried to format my C drive and it kept telling me unable to format C....so then I tried to reinstall windows xp pro thinking that would work ...nope it installed and when I got to my desktop everything was the same...missing files still missing ect...any ideas?

Thanks,
Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
are you doing boot-up install?

I suggest you delete and don't restore... it's *never* worked for me. Installing via windows isn't a good idea. Leaves lots of crap left over.

Boot from cd, first option (fresh install), Then F8, I think you have to press escape then to not repair, tehn you delect the partition press D (i think) and then

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:08 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
I'm not certain that I did click escape actually that might be the problem ...hmm this would be so much easier if you could format with that remotey thing lol I will try it again thanks spud :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:31 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
ok I did what you said and it seemed to work okay but all my programs are still there, so i must not be formatting properly. How to get my C drive totally wiped clean before reinstalling windows?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:42 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
hmm

did you delete the partition (First one displayed in the list of partitions), then format with NTFS?

That's m$ disk management software and works whatever

/me scratches his head

You aren't trying to use an upgrade version are you? That might explain the curious behaviour.

From the official m$ page:

Quote:
At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER to continue.
Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. Press ESC (do not repair).
All existing partitions and unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the arrow keys to select the partition or unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition, and then press D to delete an existing partition or press C to create a new partition using unpartitioned space. If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this process for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, you can then select the resulting unpartitioned space and then press C to create the new partition.

Note: If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions and then create the new partition.
Type the size (in megabytes, or MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition using the maximum size.
Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to create additional partitions if you want to.
If you want to install Windows XP, use the arrow keys to select the partition you want to install Windows XP on, and then press ENTER. If you do not want to format the partition and install Windows XP, press F3 two times to quit Setup, and then do not continue with the following steps. In this case, you must use another utility to format the partition.
Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. The options are:
Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
Format the partition by using the FAT file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
For additional information about the differences in the format options, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

302686 Differences Between a Quick Format and Format During Windows XP Setup
The option to leave the current file system intact is not available if the selected partition is a new partition. The FAT file system options is not available if the selected partition is more than 32 gigabytes (GB). If the partition is larger than 2 GB, Setup uses the FAT32 file system (you must press ENTER to confirm). If the partition is smaller than 2 GB, Setup uses the FAT16 file system.

NOTE: If you deleted and created a new System partition but you are installing Windows XP on another partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and Boot partitions at this point.
After Setup formats the partition, follow the on-screen instructions to continue Setup. After Setup is complete, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format additional partitions. For additional information about using the Windows XP Disk Management tools to partition and format your hard disk, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Or for pictures, and easy guide
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... _clean.asp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:49 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
omg im so retarded LOL I think I just might be using a freaking upgrade cd shit how would I find out for sure?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:12 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
says on the front of the disc :D
If you downloaded it will be the full version, just playing up on you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:20 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
yes it's a downloaded version :)