Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:21 am  Post subject: Your ip is currently blacklisted

Mod of the Living Dead
Today I noticed I lose conections with all bigger servers very quickly. I checked my log I fould out that "my ip was blacklisted because of my client behaviour". Have you perhaps seen something like this before? I have two doubts:
1. What behaviour (I'm using Plus 1f)
2. What ip (I use ADSL with dyn ip and changed it several times during the day)
Anyway, this is f*** annoying.

Last edited by Polityk on Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:42 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Is it possible that I'm just sharing too many files? AFAIK, many servers have limits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:37 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
i have a few ideas, hypothesis/ guesses.

your ip is part of a range that is blocked. A few people have the misfortune to be in the same range as copyright police, p2p spying companies, and them types. Some of the ranges supplied for peergaurdian type programs are too broad, and covers regular emule users. if u check
http://www.simplyclick.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp
and see your ip# listed as one that is blocked, u can post a message there. I dont know if that would help, but its an idea.

ive seen were dynamic ip's can be filtered out on some mule mods. I guess most dynamic ip#s are dial-up, aka low speeds.

i just tried to message you in mule, at Polityk HHAH, but it wouldnt connect. if u have been having problems like this since july 13th(is the last time i had connected to you) then i think i know which blocked list you are on, if you are blocked.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:02 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I am not on any list of blocked ips. eMule messaging not always works, and I've been actually messaging quite a lot during the last two days, so this is not the cause of the problem either. And it is not about mods, because these are *servers* that refuse connection.
I can still log onto the small ones, with limited numbers of users, which would actually prove my theory about too many files shared (I've been adding tons of files during the recent days). I suppose smaller servers have smaller indexes of files and don't list all my files, whereas the huge ones would have to index all of them, and I am pretty sure there are some limits recently as to the number of files.
Currently I'm tring every server one by one in order to provoke some message which would explain the cause for refusing connection.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:58 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
hehe, i was thinking about something else when i posted above.

have you tried taking stuff out of your shared and reconnecting?

whenever i hit 1000 or so things im downloading, thats when i start weeding things out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:42 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Friend had a similar problem - he was kicked from more and more servers. Until he decreased the number of shared files...

Hope this helps :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:17 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
say,
what is considered a 'huge' amount of files?
I thought 1000 was extreme. 100 seems a bit excessive to me too, i usually keep mine so that there is never so many as to have a scroll bar to see them, like downloading que with about 16 or so files. though i do click on stuff that i never get around to start downloading, and they pile up to hundreds of files. Mostly pdf files, or text files. collections and such.

the highest amount ive seen in someones shared folders when i did a 'view files' was around 4200 files.

how many does it take to do that server blacklisted thing? under 'number of files' do you have like infinity or something? a little mobius strip?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:22 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
He had 2000-3000 files (which could happen very quick if you're coming from Kazaa with it's bunch of mp3 files). You can check the server's soft and hard limits in your eMule under the servers tab - they range from 50 to 50000 files. My max was 25GB shared in 71 files.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:54 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Bingo!
"Too much files index in my list, so I can index 0 of your files", thus spoke Silent Bob.

It's odd though, I have only reached 90 shared files. After taking everything out of my shared folder I still had 48 files and I still got kicked out by most servers (although I changed my ip). Perhaps they make some distinction between shared and downloaded files? This would explain much; I've never had so many files downloading at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:08 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
The files you are downloading are counted as shared files if you've received at least one chunk. Downloaded files that aren't anymore in one of your shared dirs IMHO don't count - although your mule knows about them it would be a nonsense sending their info to the server. If it isn't a MPAA server, of course. :twisted:

Banning a user only on the base of his IP also isn't very effective. If I was the author of the server, I'd probably ban the userhash. The IPs come and go, but if you change your userhash you start from zero.
When a server bans you, you're probably banned for a period of time and cleaning your incoming dir doesn't help you momentarily.

Of course, I'm only guessing. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:21 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
graag wrote:
The files you are downloading are counted as shared files if you've received at least one chunk.

That I know of. :)

graag wrote:
Downloaded files that aren't anymore in one of your shared dirs IMHO don't count - although your mule knows about them it would be a nonsense sending their info to the server.

This is quite obvious, I never suggested anything like this. Actually, I was thinking of the contrary - when the server doesn't care how much you're sharing, but how much you are DOWNLOADING, but this was just a theory, don't think it's very plausible.

graag wrote:
Banning a user only on the base of his IP also isn't very effective. If I was the author of the server, I'd probably ban the userhash. The IPs come and go, but if you change your userhash you start from zero.
When a server bans you, you're probably banned for a period of time and cleaning your incoming dir doesn't help you momentarily.

Yup, this would seemmore logical, but because it says "Your ip is banned" I gather that it's my ip that is banned, not my hash. (fortunately). This is why it seems strange to me that I am still banned. Anyway, some servers are beginning to like me again, so I think the problem is solved. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:35 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Polityk wrote:
This is quite obvious, I never suggested anything like this. Actually, I was thinking of the contrary - when the server doesn't care how much you're sharing, but how much you are DOWNLOADING, but this was just a theory, don't think it's very plausible.

Server probably doesn't care how much you're downloading in gigabytes, but it probably counts how much requests/searches/whatever your client fires on it?

Polityk wrote:
Yup, this would seemmore logical, but because it says "Your ip is banned" I gather that it's my ip that is banned, not my hash. (fortunately). This is why it seems strange to me that I am still banned. Anyway, some servers are beginning to like me again, so I think the problem is solved. :)

That's all that counts. :mrgreen:
Thinking through fingers: because you got yourself a new ip you could got banned again (still to much shared files) or you were just unlucky because the previous owner of your new ip was banned too. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:43 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
If you plan on sharing effectively, share 1-5 additional files (high, normal or release). Anything over 30 is really excessive and counter productive imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:18 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
If you plan on sharing effectively, share 1-5 additional files (high, normal or release). Anything over 30 is really excessive and counter productive imo.

/me scratching head looking at his 48 downloads in progress :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:52 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
/me gives ohgod his glasses

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:33 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:

I know, but I like to keep rare releases for a long time to help spreading them.

graag wrote:
Server probably doesn't care how much you're downloading in gigabytes, but it probably counts how much requests/searches/whatever your client fires on it?

Yup, I didn't mean gigabytes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:55 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Shit, it is happening again. Many of my friends started having this problem recently; could it be because of the new version of lugdunum?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:12 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
nothing to do with low id/blacklisting, but i think i figured out how(or at least one way) to upload 0 (nothing) but download at full speed.

I cant really think of any use for this besides, well cheating and screwing over the network. I shouldnt even mention it. I just kind of like to brag.:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:19 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I can't see how I could use my connection's upload if not for uploading.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:29 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Polityk wrote:
Shit, it is happening again. Many of my friends started having this problem recently; could it be because of the new version of lugdunum?

Same problem? What does it say in your regular/debug log?
lugdunum? - maybe, but much of us aren't having any problems. yet. :wink: