Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:07 pm  Post subject: horror-sci-fi collection?

The Devil, Probably
eh?
a sci-fi horror collection? seems like there should be one, unless i missed it.
you know, event horizon, alien(s),darkside of the moon, deadly spawn, and the other corman crapfests are some of the more obvious horror/sci-fi blends.
i'd start it myself, but i would probably forget about it, like the others ive started. i have a bunch of links for emule for this genre, with imdb links etc, for anyone who wanted to start a collection.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:26 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Hehe, I thought about a collection like that some days ago. :)
"In space, no one can hear you scream" a.k.a. "Horror In Space Collection" :wacky:

All Alien movies, Event Horizon etc. etc...

Can do it in this/next week, if no one else doesn't want to. =)

Nothing to do with anything, but was just reading this :-P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:41 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Iconoclast wrote:
Hehe, I thought about a collection like that some days ago. :)
"In space, no one can hear you scream" a.k.a. "Horror In Space Collection" :wacky:

All Alien movies, Event Horizon etc. etc...

Can do it in this/next week, if no one else doesn't want to. =)

Nothing to do with anything, but was just reading this :-P

Professor Ohgodnotanotherone would have to object !

We all know the universe is a inflatable pool !

Besides time is 2 dimensional - My esteemed predecesor Onestone only took one value in his equation.....
Think time being quantified; but relativistic quantification ; i.e interval....ahh....Id imagine I;m boring the crap out y'all.....

back to the first post ;

Ofcourse a scifi horror collection crossed my mind too ; However it just would be too friggin huge - You could subcategorise like 1 horror in space (alien) horror from space (critters) etc.....

Where does one draw the line as far as qualification goes ?

Be carefull how much you're gonna bite off now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:51 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
there's nearly as many movies in this genre than there are Roger Corman movies :lol:

I have to agree with ohgo, there are enoguh collections that lack scope. A list of movies with no ed2k links is kinda useless and unnessecary, and I don't think it's worth the space in the database, i mean you can find this info by searching google for sci-fi horror films, so there's no point having a list of movies like with some other threads.

You could of course break it down into alien invasion movies, deep space horror, or something more creatable.

Oh and to whoever decides to tackle it, my advise would be to create all the info in a txt file, and then submit movies into your main post only when you get the ed2k:// for them. Don't bother wasting time with movies that aren't there :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:00 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
hehe, i know we've had these discussions before, the difference between what is considered 'sci-fi' and what is considered 'horror', and then what is 'horror/sci-fi' or 'sci-fi/horror'. some people take it all too serious, but the rule i usually go by-'if nobody gets killed, then it's sci-fi, blood fountains, chest expoding, then its sci-fi/horror'.
any broad category collection can be a bitch, depending on how much thought/effort the starter would put in trying to define it. blurring the lines is unnavoidable as it is all a matter of taste and personal opinion.

how bout starting with ones that i would say are 'obvious'(at least to me) horror/sci-fi, like deadly spawn, contamination/toxic spawn,event horizon.alien(s), the blob.

ah, dont mind me, it was just an idea, and scifi/horror is one of my favorite types.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:56 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Hm.. now that I think of this more clearly... I think I'll pass this one (as of building it). Way too big and after all; I don't even watch/download scifi-horror that much. But good luck to person who decides to make the collection. :)

spudthedestroyer wrote:
I have to agree with ohgo, there are enoguh collections that lack scope. A list of movies with no ed2k links is kinda useless and unnessecary, and I don't think it's worth the space in the database, i mean you can find this info by searching google for sci-fi horror films, so there's no point having a list of movies like with some other threads.

Oh and to whoever decides to tackle it, my advise would be to create all the info in a txt file, and then submit movies into your main post only when you get the ed2k:// for them. Don't bother wasting time with movies that aren't there :)

I have done almost all of my collections like that (Ilsa, Christmas, Werewolf ...) =)
Added just the movies that are available in donkey-network and update when new releases/links appear. Way I see it, it's the best/most logical way to build a collection...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:25 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
a thread with both Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Thing, Aliens and Event Horizon in is stretching it :lol:

IF someone can think of subgenres it would be popular though. I noticed threads over at fh.org like "50s monster invasion movies" and that seems a better way to tackle it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:29 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
a thread with both Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Thing, Aliens and Event Horizon in is stretching it :lol:

Exactly. :lol:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
IF someone can think of subgenres it would be popular though. I noticed threads over at fh.org like "50s monster invasion movies" and that seems a better way to tackle it.

Yeah, it should be done in that way.
Can't think of any good subgenre specifications right now... maybe something along the lines of "Scifi-Horror; 1975-200X". Why -75? 1980 would seem more logical, but first Alien is made in 70's.. that's why. ;)
And that way could get rid of all those hundreds of 50's and 60's "scifi-horror-ufo" flicks... :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:50 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
1979 to be exact, but there are lots for that period, methinks break it down to each decade or subgenre would be how to go about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:25 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
if its ok,
i put these links here, as an actual collection would be complex and timeconsuming. if its ok to have an unnofficial/lowquality/unconfirmed sci-fi section?
i think it would be good, and i think a lot of sci-fi/horror fans are at HHAH. i usually try and grab every classic or decent sci-fi movie i come across and dont already have, and download them. here is a start for whoever, if anybody does start one. if mods want to delete this post before it gets to messed up, okeedokee. or if its ok to keep posting them, i can add more.

these have full sources-
ed2k: Kronos(1957)Lm.avi  [692.62 Mb] [Stats]
(done, shared)
ed2k: Invasion.Of.The.Saucer.Men.(1957.-.English).avi  [697.19 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Journey.To.The.Seventh.Planet.(1962).avi  [694.86 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: The.Quiet.Earth.1985.Dvdrip.Xvid-Icicle.avi  [695.48 Mb] [Stats]

these are some that said they had full sources, but i got em paused for a while-
ed2k: 1,000,000.Years.B.C.(Hammer.1966).Divx.5.05.Mp3.96Kbps.-.Kurisutofu.avi  [699.73 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Angry.Red.Planet(1959)Lm.avi  [690.74 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Barbarella.(1968).Dvdivx.avi  [684.17 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Discovery.Channel.-.Conspiracys.-.Aliens.avi  [171.21 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Slaughterhouse.Five.(1972).avi  [702.47 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: The.Deadly.Mantis.mpg  [1.01 Gb] [Stats]
ed2k: This.Island.Earth.(1955).(Dvd).avi  [700.37 Mb] [Stats]

[ Add all 11 links to your ed2k client ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:02 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Quote:
This.Island.Earth.(1955).(Dvd).avi

I tried to get that for soooo long, but then I co-incidently watched MST3K the Movie, and found that it was in there. Since it sucked SOOOOOO much, I was the contempt with that version.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:57 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
haha, your drunk.

this island earth is a decent cheezefest, not what i would call a serious sci-fi film, though at the time it was. mst3k has to cut the movies they show, so they fit into a 90 minutes long block, subtract the host segments(bout 20 minutes i reckon) and that is almost 1/3 of a movie being cut.