Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:26 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
The only ones that are inherently Italian is "Bird' and 'Cat' and 'Profundo Rosso'. THe rest could go either way. Should I pass up a DVD with the best transfer and 5.1 ac3 Eng, for mono Italian? Like fierysky requested, the other languages can be given seperate. Its almost like it would be against AFR to not use the 5.1. (I mean does Jennifer Connelly speak Italian?) I would rather mux the 5.1 and share the mono, though doing the opposite would allow more bitrate, at the expense of more bandwidth/hddspace. Most people I think would prefer English, meaning more clicks/shares.

One of the films had 5.1 Italian track, I forget which off hand, but I'm not importing and purchasing another disc (since I watch Dario films in English). Someone capable and equipped to pitch in that one is more than welcome to.

I'm open to more opinions, so please people speak up now...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:29 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Profondo Rosso should be watched in English, in my opinion. Whoever is dubbing David Hemmings on the Italian audiotrack spoils the movie like whoever is dubbing Asia Argento on the English track of The Stendhal Syndrome. If you have the Italian and English audiotracks (like you should if you have the AB DVD), just take the scene where the characters played by Hemmings and Daria Nicolodi are arguing and watch it in Italian and in English. You can easily see that even Nicolodi is opening her mouth to English and that the English version works much better.

Bird with the Crystal Plumage is a tough one. I think it's one of the few Argento's movies that I prefer seeing in Italian, even though the lead is obviously speaking his lines in English. Nonetheless, it's easy to understand why some people like the English version better, even when they aren't scared of subtitles.

With The Cat o' Nine Tails I also prefer the English version mainly because both leads are American and the Italian voice talent don't do them justice.

Most of those 5.1 audio tracks are evil remixes and I'd suggest you to avoid them in most cases. If the original was released as mono (or stereo), the rip should express this, especially if you feel like doing the definite rips of these movies. As far as I remember, Suspiria was the first Argento movie where he didn't use a mono track for audio. Although I'm not sure about the English versions. Some of them might've been done in Stereo.

By the way, Whiggles.com is a great site for finding out which versions of Argento's movies one should get. He pays attention to the original audio versions et cetera: just check out the Tenebre DVD comparison page.
http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/writin ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:50 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Maybe with some Argentos it might be better to drop the strict AFR interpretation and include both audios on the problem movies. Just a thought, what's everyone else's opinion?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:16 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
IMO it would be best to go for the best possible audio if it's the original one and add the other(s) seperate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:21 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
My vote would be for strictly one audio stream, choose the best sounding one that syncs the most. Don't mux two or more in :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:23 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I knew people would be split on these issues.

All of his movies had an English actor in the lead, and Daria speaks English most of the time I think (from what it looks like). I always watched his movies in English, and Dario seems to get (and the use the same) good English voiceactors.

Basically what I want to do is use Eng 5.1 when I can. I just reviewed the discs, and Bird is good Italian, and Cat is better in English. Deep Red I am missing, someone else can do that one.

So now heres another issue. Scene standards for AFR are what exactly on length? Most films are 100 mins plus (NTSC). Is it ~90 mins = 1.46GB; ~2 Hrs = 2.18? And what about compatibility? Recently i have stopped caring, but these rips may be popular.

(I don't care how often you point me to fileheaven's threads, they are sporadic and leave me confused, so dropping the constraints here(hhah) in a simple matter would help.)

and @ Member13: Thanks dude, you know your stuff on this subject I see. That link is fabulous! I had visited whiggles before, but forgot it. The comparisons are topnotch.

I won't mux dual audio into it. And 2gbs for each seems too much for me keep sharing. Maybe suspiria with DTS?

I will probably try to keep some compatibility, no CQM, etc. I will share the alternate audio tracks as well. I don't mind remixes (shit man its what I do!) because I know how to remix into 5.1 from either a mono track (not recommended) or the original master tracks; Whiggles says he hates most of them though.

Sorry for all the 'asides'. LOL

EDIT: this is going to be a major headache.

Last edited by GrindCallus on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:28 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I'll throw a wild goose mutilation and say that they're all probably compressible enough to look great as 1/3 size rips 8)

You can ignore this post if you wish :wacky:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:54 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
GrindCallus wrote:
I knew people would be split on these issues.

All of his movies had an English actor in the lead, and Daria speaks English most of the time I think (from what it looks like). I always watched his movies in English, and Dario seems to get (and the use the same) good English voiceactors.

IMO like people have said earlier, the rips should be done in whatever syncs up best. I forgot how Argento shot his films.

Quote:
So now heres another issue. Scene standards for AFR are what exactly on length? Most films are 100 mins plus (NTSC). Is it ~90 mins = 1.46GB; ~2 Hrs = 2.18? And what about compatibility? Recently i have stopped caring, but these rips may be popular.

I'd completely ignore the scene rules on length and go on common sense. I think the only one that goes over 2 hours is Deep Red, and that seems compressible. Not to mention that if you want to make these rips SA compatible so they'll be more popular, how many people would download 1/2 DVD-r for Deep Red or Phenomena? If a movie seems compressible and you want to keep it at 1/3, I'd recommend lowering the res a bit if you're not satisfied with the results. Or you could just rip them 1/2 dvd-r, it all depends on how much time you're willing to spend toying around with rip settings. With something as popular as Suspiria, however, a 1/2 dvd DTS of that would probably stay alive on the network for a while

Quote:
and @ Member13: Thanks dude, you know your stuff on this subject I see. That link is fabulous! I had visited whiggles before, but forgot it. The comparisons are topnotch.

Indeed, the giallo knowledge never fails to impress me :beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:02 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Hmmm... Any HDcaps? I would love to encode from that. I'm sure you've all kept your eyes peeled for DarioHD, but I figured I toss it out there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:08 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
If your doing AFR, it would have to be original language not just one audio, otherwise the advanced file size keyword tag can't be used ;)

I know I've had a heated discussion with Spud and others on subs vs dubs here before, but I think there is a different issue here.

This is a scene rule. Why should we be governed by scene rules? IMO the scene is populated in the main by elitist wankers, I have seen various attacks on the P2P community in scene nfo files and yet we just take this and treat them with respect. I know of only one exception to this rule, although I guess there are others; you know who you are, and this group started out in P2P.

Go ahead GrindCallus, tag your rips whatever you want, and bollocks to the scene :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:48 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
it isn't a scene rule, its an advanced file size spec rule! dubbing RUINS movies, an additional audio track wastes space, therefore the advanced file size guidelines excludes there usage. its grossly out of sync with the movie, and its usually unbareable to watch.

The search keyword for advanced file size (no spaces) is for advanced file size rips only, if its just a 1/6, 1/3rd but your including other streams, you miss the spec by wasting space therefore its not advanced file size, its just a rip of filesize 1/6th, 1/3rd dvdr.

If your doing an advanced file size rip, the specs for them are up at fileheaven. Of course you can include a rip, its just not AFR then.

Its got nothing to do with seen rules. AFR = advanced file size regulation = can only use the keyword if you meet the requirements

For these movies there's no language though, so either could count as dub. However, dual audio is at least 50% waste of space.

edit: The sticky for it is in fileheaven.org, in the mpeg4 release sections. Can't access the site from work.

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:48 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
George Tatum wrote:
Go ahead GrindCallus, tag your rips whatever you want, and bollocks to the scene :wink:

Now that's the right attitude :D :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:22 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Well, in any case, I'm working on Inferno for awhile now, and it will be in ENG. CUz I like it, I understand it. Whatever fileheaven wants to tag it with is fine by me, all the guys who cooked it up nevr mentioned a word about any of my advancedfilewazoo rips being outside of rules. Italian movies shouldn't count anyway ;) :wacky:

anyway...

Inferno is coming nicely. 5.1 ENG ac3, 704x384, ~1500kBit\s, 0.233.

The source was soft and grainy, so I've been trying some different filters from the usual I swear by. Loading up UnFilter on the 6th test right now. Also trying MipSmooth instead of UnDot/Convolution3D. Those are both ALOT slower, hope they are quality. If not :BOOT: back to the good oldies.

I'll edit a some screens to show you what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:41 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I guess its all an aside anyway, but i get people aren't quite up on what AFR is.

Its only a keyword, people think it means the filesizes but its the filesizes AND the assurance that there's no waste (ie dubbed track, filler to make up space, etc.) :) I guess its confusing for people that don't use fileheaven but its based on the concept or rare movies in the best quality (hhah is kind of the same philosophy/offshoot), but they also exclude anything without original audio to be automatically religated from higher quality (ruins the movie's quality). So given that AFR is developed by some of the best ripper @ fh, its logical that they are lax guidelines for achieving the maximum quality on a rip.

Like i mentioned i can't double check the sticky atm, but i'm pretty sure the specs were something very simple like:
1. Must contain original audio
2. Can not contain a dubbed stream
and it has to be dvdr sized (1/6, 1/3, 1/2). That was it.

It doesn't disclude the inclusion of director's commentaries afaik, but a lot of people argued that that is just wasting space too. I know some people say you should choose the best audio, ie. its automatically DTS you should release, but i'm not a fan of DTS myself and luckily its not part of the whole AFR thing. :)

I'll port over the thread though since i guess people without access aren't sure. A keyword for 1/6,1/3,1/2 rips containing dubs doesn't exist as far as i know.

As mentioned if its dubbed in italian / english on both counts just pick the one that sounds best, I guess you can discount italian movies. You'll probably be able to still use the keyword in your post :)

ps. what matrix are you using?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:56 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
My bad, must admit I don't visit FH very often, I can find most of the stuff I'm interested in here or at T3. Comments about the scene still apply though :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:00 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
comments about the scene always apply :googley:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:20 pm  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
wow! I really love argento movies, and there are just 2 or 3 avaiable here on dvd, and mostly shitty releases... was planning on getting nice rips to watch a whole bunch in a row, but figured it would be kinda hard to achieve this goal cause the rips didint look great in the first place, now I'm tottaly signed to this thread to stay informed about the progress of your journey callus :D great stuff you're attempting there ;) and nice enjoyable arguements all over the thread too hehe good luck, see ya on the release posts :D drooling already

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:48 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Grindcallus, how far did you get with the Argento AFS rips?

Mascareiro has requested Opera (from the R1 Anchor Bay DVD btw) from me, shall I do this or is this in progress (or done) from you?

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:23 pm  Post subject:
dario my fav' :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:15 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I say go for it, I won't be ripping for awhile. Sorry to offer then flake out on ya'll. Anybody wants to up any Dario AFRs is welcome, won't step on my toes, but leave me Suspiria ;)