Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:51 pm  Post subject: Anyone interested in CHiBi Rips?

Skull Full Of Maggots
I was wondering if anyone was interested in releases from the group CHiBI. I've just bgeun encoding for them, and while they have a small library of horror titles, I want to expand it. Was wondering if you guys would want me to share them with the community, and also, if there are any special requests for encodes (nt rare titles, new group = no access to that stuff yet)

Their encode presets are of pretty high standard. I just finished up Top Gun for them, with a whopping 3CD, DTS, 1800kbps bitrate. Looks and sounds pretty good for one of my first encodes.

I'm doing Session 9 tonight, so I can post screencaps of that later on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:48 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I'd be interested in any high quality rips, but not 3CDs, too many files for my taste. But if you plan to do any AFR (if the group knows/cares about that standard) I'd be in.

You can always just post'em anyway, many people might want them, most of which won't make a peep about it, they'll just click. So, hay its a free world, post'em!

Does this group spread internally and then release on different p2p networks (ed2k, torrent, newsgroup,etc)? Or are they more 'indie' and concentrated on one network? I'm just wondering :)

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:04 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
3cd DTS? so not a scene group.

If not, perhaps consider dumping cd sizes and convert to the Advanced Filesize Regulation directive. That's filesizes, 1cd -> 744mb, 2cd -> 1.46GB and then 1/2 DVDr and aims for maximum quality. Much more suitable for the modern day; there's little point still doing cd splits. Of course if its a scene group you'll be hindered by TDX.

For the horror though, that's great your ripping, 1cds of bmovies is usually the best way to go, but for high budget or impressive video/audio, 1.46GB is perfect (1/3rd DVDr). Obviously top gun wouldn't be allowed on this site, what with it being not horror, but if you got some big budget movies doing the same treatment for our little genre, go for it posting wise.

Grind said it all, you might as well post them, although if you want maximum downloads, i'd go for AFR and perhaps dropping a cd and dts.

Check out UNSEEN, c00ldude, etc. rips for examples of AFR (or search for advanced file size [without the spaces]). I think they are examples of maximum quality, single file, maximum convience rips.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:20 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
1cds of bmovies is usually the best way to go

Usually :wacky:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:45 am  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
spudthedestroyer wrote:

I'll be damned if a scene group comes into an ed2k forum and asks "hey guys do you want our rips?". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:47 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
We are not a scene group, mainly based internally. Personal rips that can be spread amoung our members. It's a give-recieve relationship.We have a variety of members that encode films, upload them to a central hub, and download various other movies by other members from that same hub. Lately we've been releasing a few films outside via networks, and with positive feedback we have decided to go "public". Or at least try it out. In the coming months, I wouldn't be suprised if you see a few CHiBi rips amoung your private trackers and edonkey servers. Not sure when that's going to happen though.

We're dumping CD sizes for our public releases, using the AFR system you refered to. It's better for spreading on networks such as edonkey, as it becomes a hassle when only one section of the film is availible, and the other is not. Instead of having one file, easily shared. We aim for most of our releases as being 1/3 DVD, while high-action films with a long runtime may be boosted up to 1/2 DVD with some better features (DTS - if possible).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:17 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
Session.9.2001.DVDRip.XviD-CHiBi
AFS - 1.4 GB - 1/3 DVD - XviD - AC3
640 x 288 - 1637 kbps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:59 am  Post subject:

joshaube wrote:
640 x 288

Couldn't you have taken your resolution higher with that target size and decent looking bitrate? 640x is soooo non-AFR like. :lol: But of course, if the compressibility is poor, but is it? Horror movies are usually very compressible. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:22 pm  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
I'm very new at encoding, so bare with me while I make tons and tons of mistakes. I'm trying to learn as I go, which isn't always the best thing. I've thrown out my Top Gun and Session 9 rips, and will be re-doing them both in the next few days. Possibly under a different title, as these will be public and not exactly affiliated with the CHiBi hub.

Here's what I plan to follow with these new releases;

I'll be using resolutions where the width is 704; not lower.
I'll be using Jawor's Quantization Matrixes.
I'll be using QPEL where needed, to boost quality.
Filesizes will be 1.4GB per release, unless runtime is excessive.
Files will be single files, not split for CDs or other media.

Now it's time to break out the horror DVDs, and test this new method out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:29 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
unskinnyboy wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

I'll be damned if a scene group comes into an ed2k forum and asks "hey guys do you want our rips?". :lol:

Yep, that'll be the day. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:16 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... ht=session
I wouldn't worry about that one :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:52 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
Well, I believe my ripping skills jumped a view notches today. I looked at some AFS files from Unseen, Arcon and Shitbusters, and created a list of specs that a lot of them had in common. From there, I applied them to my own knowledge and came out with a re-rip of Top Gun. AFS style, properly.

Which do you prefer?

Top.Gun.1986.DVDRip.XviD-CHiBi
2.05GB / 640x272 / XVID 1889kbps / DTS 755kbps

Top.Gun.1986.DVDRip.XviD-TAMPON
1.4GB / 704x288 / XVID 1328kbps / AC3 448kbps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:30 am  Post subject:

^Rogue^ wrote:
unskinnyboy wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Yep, that'll be the day. :)

...when they will get scene banned for hobnobbing with the peasants.

joshaube wrote:
Which do you prefer?

Top.Gun.1986.DVDRip.XviD-TAMPON.

TAMPON? Why didn't I think of this name for a pseudonym when I needed one? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:27 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Oh boy this gonna be a hardcore thread!

TAMPON is defnitly better, screens don't show motion, so that grain will look natural (I'm guessing). AFR doesn't limit to standalone compatible (right?!), so for a lot of players Jawors 2CD works great and is a good choice. I'd shy away from Qpel for now, though I've uploaded rips with it, people shy away.

What filtering are you using? I dont' know if you are using GKnot (I'd assume), but there are an array of filters and matrices you can use. Spud, unskinnyboy, and MANY others on this site would love to discuss and can give some great feedback I'm sure, myself included.

This raises a question: is AFR going to be accepted ass the standard (new flesh)? TDX dead? I never ripped to TDX, cept for CD sizes and compatibility of MY standalone. Of course my rips never spread like the scene ones. Except Hardgore! LOL!

Anyway, the TAMPON rip has a slightly discolored grain to it actually. You should use the preset GKnot filters "fluxsmooth" and "mergechroma" with either Undot or removegrain. Then the res of 704W wont crush the bitrate as much. BTW whats the bits/pixel? ie, '0.233' or '0.179'? Very important to know.

Did you crop the sides (L/R)? If you didn't crop, then make sure the width is 720. More often you have to crop it to 704, because the cropping adds to 16.

Sorry I've had a few < and some ' and wanted to rant!
Hope I gave some questions with answers.
:beerchug:

BTW Shitbusters are located at link in my sig JSYK ;) Go there for the Encoding Q&A thread. [advertisment end] :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:34 pm  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
I followed the guide on Doom9 for Gknot, and simply applied the custom matrices and checked qpel. That's what I did for Top Gun. Nothing all that advanced.

How do you guys go ahead with the encoding process? What steps do you take, and what steps should I be taking to get the best possible looking rip? I like high resolution rips, and I like the grain effect (if it's present on the VOBs to begin with - see Arcon's Silent Hill... imo great quality, I assume Qpel created that?).

I'm going to test out some different settings with Soul Survivors and see if I come out with a nice looking rip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:17 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
joshaube wrote:
I'm going to test out some different settings with Soul Survivors and see if I come out with a nice looking rip.

Just released:

http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=12733

:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Give us a looksy into your DVD list, maybe there are some nasty crappers that need propers :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:00 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
I do these rips mainly for personal reasons, and I know a lot of what I chose has already been done here. Soul Survivors, for example. I'm in the testing phase right now, but once I have a process down-pat I plan on doing some for the community here;

Urban Legends Trilogy - 1/3 AFS each
(so all three fit on one DVD)

Laaame, but I thought why not.