Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:21 pm  Post subject: DVDr/VCD forum

Site Admin
Seen as though its not overly used and there's a lot of low quality VCD/VHS rips as mpgs, do you think it is worthwhile, deleting the DVDr/VCD forum and moving all the stuff to lower quality.

The annoying exception would be full DVD rips, now these aren't overly popular on this site so its not a huge amount of releases, but I really don't like the idea of them being in with the mpeg4 rips.

short: i don't like the idea of moving the rare stuff into vcd, like the cat movies or mpgs, but i don't like the idea of DVD-r releases of dvds in the high quality section. Should we move them all to lower quality or keep it as is and move out mpgs when the crop up?

idea? opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Example:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=14314

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:29 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I dont think I've ever opened the DVDr/VCD section, maybe moving the VCD into low quality would be a good idea & renaming the other to DVDr & keeping them seperate & giving them their own section ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:34 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
DVD-r are hardly ever posted though, the forums been there since the beginning and has hardly any posts.

Its DVD-r that are the problem rather than the vcds, i have no problem with them in lower quality, i just don't like the idea of a DVD-r section with maybe two topics... I just can't figure out a neat way of accomodating em :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:51 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
VCDs that are converted to avi get posted in lower quality, those in mpeg still get posted in lower quality by the looks of it despite that section. If theres only a couple of DVDrs posted in that section, maybe give the section up completely as its not popular enough to justify having?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:15 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
I gave this one a bit of thought and figured that there are several things to consider on this topic.

1) A VCD/SVCD rip only has a point (IMO) if there is NO MPEG4 rip for it. (maybe some asian movies)

2) DVDr rips (IMO) again only have a point if they offer something (extras, etc) that a MPEG4 cant. (not big on keeping menus for the sake of it)

3) MPG`s that arent pure VCD/SVCD suck (meaning MPG ripped from VHS) only serve a purpose of there is NO MPEG4 rip available.

DVDr`s present the most problems as i think that properly labelled VCD/SVCD could be termed LQ rips.

Would a non-rencoded DVDr be LQ, as that doesnt seem to make much sense (if the original DVD mastering counts as being a high quality master)

...and to throw another spanner in the works i was thinking that when a higher quality rip is posted that all CAM/TS/TC`s should be moved out of their section too, but is the fake/invalid/dead section suitable for them....i`d be loathe to delete peoples posts but given that there are a lot of movies that have been "updated" and a load of old posts that are no longer the best version available don`t seem to serve much purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:02 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Well i've hardly ever touched a dvdr that has been posted here, but i don't like the fact that DVD-r releases of dvds would be up in the lower quality. I think doing that would be at first the best solution, but dunno how that would work out on long terms.
So IMO it would be best to keep it as it is and move out mpegs in the future.

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:26 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
How about an mpeg2 section for all DVD-R and (s)VCD releases?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:54 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
how would the name change improve anything over how it is atm though would be the question?

I don't want to promote anything or give it a different skew, i want to remove a section that only seems to get either a DVD-r posted, or more regularly lower quality vcds and mpgs. MPGs that fulfil 1 in ethriel's list. I think they might be better in lower than in an xvcd, and i don't think volume is high enough to support a DVD-r only section.

I'm not actually sure how popular DVD-r downloading is, i guess that's the question to ask? I rarely go for them myself, definitely not on mule :lol:

Simply renaming the existing section wouldn't achieve anything over how it is now; i just don't see its value as a seperate section, but DVD-r shouldn't go in high or higher, that would be a terrible step backwards, excluding it is restrictive.

That leaves a section with a tiny number of releases, putting it in lower quality, forbidding content outright, or putting it in screeners and unverified with a "oh and dvdr" tag :lol: It just seems like a waste of space as a seperate section when vcds and .mpgs probably should just live in lower quality, or not posted at all if there is actually a proper, better quality rip out.

Quote:
posted that all CAM/TS/TC`s should be moved out of their section too

I think i have mentioned that as an option before the screeners section existed which serves the same job, it sounds something that makes sense; historically, i have only ever trashed movies like this when people don't get the hint that a better version is out and keep bumping the poorer quality rip's thread.

So screeners acts as a trashcan for screeners anyway, some of the independants can have a screener out up to a year or even more before it hits retail though and it saves nanny work for the mods :)

That reminds me. Its important that people start (or keep) using the keywords for verifying threads:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=13980

They are very helpful :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
In that case:

- (s)VCDs etc --> LQ

- DVD-Rs: I don't have a strong opinion on this. I do occasionally DL them (to encode XviDs :)) but I can't remember having DL'd anything from that section on HHAH. But having choices is always a good thing IMO so I tend towards keeping the section despite its potential inactivity.

Hope this helps a little. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:20 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
lol, well that's what i'd like to do, except:
Quote:
I don't have a strong opinion on this

+1 since i don't care for them.

Beyond not mixing with the higher quality section, i'm not too fussy, i just want to optimise the number of necessary sections.

I'm failing to see the distinction with the crappy vcds of movies you can't find anywhere else these days, so i think it might be an option to merge that would benefit everyone

I just don't know what to do with dvd-r.

the vcd/dvd-r skew is a dying breed with the rise of mpeg4 standalones :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:28 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Only dvd-r I clicked was in the games section S.T.A.L.K.E.R blah.
I've been browsing this forum for a year before I registered if you didnt already know.
I see DVDs as something to torrent coz of the better speed & tbh, I dont even do that except for when I want a new game (99/100 times)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:36 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
i've downloaded dvd-rs from emule mind, i just would probably go for the rip if it were there :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
hehe, I didnt differentiate. DVD game shall I rephrase that as? the only other game I got off emule was a DVD9 split in 2 which was the last MYST PC game & took longer to d/l than for me to get wrinkles on my forehead lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:51 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
i've resorted to getting a hdd for roms, isos and gaming material. That way i can just mount and keep the updates and patches in one place.

Easier that playing with discs :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:52 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
the vcd/dvd-r skew is a dying breed with the rise of mpeg4 standalones :beerchug:

And rightfully so. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:00 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I'm one of those collector type peeps who mounts the isos in deamon tools or converts multi disk games into a dvd iso & after playing for a bit, burn to disk as iso as you never know when someones gonna ask for a copy. Similar with films as I burn almost everything. If someone asks for a reshare or posts a dead link & I dont already have on disk, I got friends on other P2Ps who will try to find for me so I can help here. Its like xmas, giving is better than receiving, unless youre with virgin bloody media ISP grrrrrrrrrrrr lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:16 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Quote:
Beyond not mixing with the higher quality section

That's the only section that makes any sense IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:18 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
unless we rename the unverified section to "preview and unverified and dvd-rs" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:20 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
or maybe highest quality? That section is already using tags anyway :(