Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:49 am  Post subject: A bit of maturity and forethought please.

Site Admin
There's been a noticeable trend in posting messages that's ultimately degenerating into puerile racist, homophobic or general abusive banter, and the posting of topics that are placed wrongly or simply shouldn't be here. If the fact that doing so is ignoring the board rules, annoying a vast portion of the user base that don’t want to hear this and definitely not spam in release topics, and ignoring concepts such as general courtesy; please bare in mind that your wasting the time, time that people really are spending at great cost to them, and effort of people who are providing this site and all of its content for you to enjoy on the principle that you can follow relatively simple guidelines (most of which can be interpreted as common sense and were traditionally intended to ensure things posted were productive rather than aiming to be restrictive).

Spamming topics, unnecessarily bumping releases, and drawing people into arguments in release topics are a nuisance to many board users, try and keep the topics related to the releases and the movie, its runtime, its quality, the movie itself, the sources or your thanks (if necessary). However, you should report to a moderator or admin, or post in this section about any topics you don't believe should be on the forum, or any posts you believe to be better placed elsewhere.

As a genre site, the requirement is large, beyond just a major genre classification to ensure that everything that should be here is. Sometimes people interpret it differently, that's to be expected.

What is not expected is a pissing contest or any kind of significant flaming in release threads, just critical comments on movies and rips or light banter. There is a section for discussing forum development, and moderators and admins can deal with any threads or escalate any issues about what you want to see on the site so that it can be peer reviewed and accepted or decided against. The response from one of these options will be far more productive.

There have been some distasteful comments bashing homosexuals by the use of derogatory terms or common slang posted without thinking, which intentional or not, shouldn’t really be posted unless you’re intending to cause offence and kick up a fuss.

I also want to point out, it’s evident that there is and of course will be a language barrier and slang English varies wildly between English native speaking countries, and counties, let alone international non-native English nations. If there's not a bit of understanding on both ends, people can go off half-cocked. A bit of maturity is needed, when posting and in reacting. I don’t expect people to be abusive on purpose, maybe its naïve but language has usually been the root cause, and reaction has the connotations of poor moderating I’ve experienced as a user, mod or admin on the countless boards I’ve been on.

I've opted to post a message here as just a general point that the rules are likely to be rewritten to be clearer if possible, and secondly to note that flaming/racial/abuse won't be allowed. I don't expect to see anything like this stuff occurring again because I’d like to think after the process of registering and then actively using the site, you'd want to start degrading it (intentional or not); I'm sure people care about this site and want to ensure its as good as it can possibly be.

I’ve rarely had to take actions against users, such as warnings, suspensions or bans since I’d like to think that people should be given chance to try and help out and get into the way things work rather than be destructive. Since things have now been pointed out, and the rules will be updated over the coming weeks to be clearer if necessary, then a re-occurrence will be regarded as the latter and lead to warnings.

Unfortunately, this means its forcing me to spend time I don’t have going through the rules and rewrite them for the modern site and to be much more specific since the interpretation is becoming significantly warped, some of the simple rules seem to need retuning, some of them need emphasising.

For those that made it through and are okay with that, thank you.

Please make use of this section for site development issues.