Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:26 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
Https weblinks still don't work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:36 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Master Of The Dead Donkey
ok, here's a very very noobish-ish question... the email problem, concerning the hotmail/msn accounts, is it something to be solved individually or more of a question between the board administration and msn, like "guys, unblock the frigging ip...it's ok, I'm running a board etc..." or we'll have to deal with it taking chances at rather it'll work or not? though again very noobish (I guess) I found a little bit of logic in my thinking, since the problem happens to ALL hotmail/msn users, I believe proving the email notifications to be safe and not spam or anything "dangerous" should solve the problem... am I being too naive or just plain stupid?

In other words, there's any light on that problem? chances it'll get fixed somehow? I mean, if I have to use my gmail account to receive the mail notifications I'll certainly stick to just visiting the forums and looking out to what's new, as I literally check that mail once a month if that. I'll probably even forget to check hehe I check my regular email when I open msn messenger, I never use hotmail.com by itself on a browser.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:37 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
I'll put that on the list, its probably needing a code fix.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:57 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Slayer wrote:
Well, I received genuine spam on that mailaddress, so something which maybe is spam should come through too, or is this really n00bish of me to say?

its really n00bish of you to say. :)

I thought so, that's why I included that option in the first place ;)

Quote:
Read through the thread because I think you might be misunderstanding; they are just guessing and blocking ips.

I still have too much faith in stuff working logically and correctly sometimes... :suicide:

Quote:
Take a look at how mickey mouse peerguardian blocklists are ;)

How Mickey Mouse? Huh? Is this meaning that using PG is stupid?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:08 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
Regards Peer Guardian, I personally won't use it as it blocks the wrong IPs regular.
When hosting a chatroom I had a reg from canada & with PG running he couldnt get in coz some dumbass decided to add his IP to the PG blocklist. Theres a lot of recent arguments on its reliability lately & it would seem that theyre now blocking various antivirus software company updates. Theres a thread about this on FH you might be interested in reading.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:25 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
OK. I just got using it after reading a thread here about it. That was after I got a seriously corrupted file of Hell of the Living Dead off the mule. Someone suggested I should use PG to block the user who gave me all that parts (or something like that - I might be mixing up two stories here). One thing is for sure though: I started using PG when I read a topic about here.

Will read up on it on FH.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:55 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
I would suggest never using an ipblock on anything other than the p2p port, since there is a certainty you'll be blocking legitimate ips.
Bluetrak who compile a list just got classified as malware because they blocked a norton virus definition update site :lol:

But anyway, I just wanted to point out that these ip blocks are beyond an annoyance, poorly compiled and that in regards to spam it will have very little effect on the amount you'll get... it just means anyone legitimate who gets on the list has a major ballache getting off it whilst the spammers don't since they'll just find another smtp server to use :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
OK, just read up on it. Most of it was a large reply to GT from the spudster here. Being it all from 2004, I take it from your latest comments it still goes? It is not outdated or something?

Then now, my questions:

- I read a lot about Protowall, and like PG, it has fans and foes. More fans than PG though. Is it any good?
- I read that RIAA and MPAA are actively scanning and searching HDDs from private persons? Is that really true?
- How do I block bad users in eMule if it's not done properly by PG? I read something about a file called ipfilter.dat and my version of that file is empty. Is that good/bad, sould I change something?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
1. PG2 is a fine app in concept, but its the blocklists that are the problem since they are completely over the top and block many, many legitimate ips. A basic blocklist is fine though, but when you start getting the bigger and bigger lists you are blocking good guys as well as bad guys.
2. That's bollocks
3. Use an ipfilter.dat file, its a format of blocklist. Do a google for a basic ipfilter.dat blocklist. People like BayTSP are good blocks since they are a company that actively send out cease and desist letters.

I suggest creating a post in the hardware/software section if you require info on blocklist.

Think of it this way (role playing required)
I'm a paranoid tool, am downloading some warez and see someone pings me, or i visit a site and get an ip of 87.210.xxx.62. I then think its a mpaa agent since why else would I get a ping. I do a ip lookup and see there's an ip like Hollywood Media (who have nothing to do with anti-piracy, they are a big webhost iirc) at one of the hops. i then suggest 87.210.xxx.0-255 be added to the blocklist because it is an antipiracy company... I just proved it right? :wacky: So not only has one legitimate user been blocked, 255 legitimate users have been blocked. This ip is then distributed on a silly list and people doing automatic updates then end up blocking 255 legitimate users.

Blocklists are good on one hand, but terrible on the other. I'd say using a barebones one is smart, but you just need to be aware that you may experience legitimate blocks and connectivity problems, particularly if you apply the block to port 80. The big emule ip block that used to be compiled had fileheaven.org's server ip on it for example :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:52 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
Blocking an IP range doesn't work anyway mostly as the vast majority of people have Dynamic IP addresses thus after they reboot they get a new one & your old IP is assigned to another innocent. :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:54 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
Emule site says this:

Quote:
If you wish to get right to the action, then you will definitely need to use Bluetack's blocklist manager (Instructions found here) and Bluetack's blocklist converter. These programs make very light work of using and merging public block lists. The Blocklist Manager pretty much does automatically everything we'll be doing by hand in this guide. I also suggest just hitting all of bluetack.co.uk for related tools and public blocklists (Props to seraphielx for all this information, folks).

Before you start, be aware that using a firewall, Peerguardian, or Protowall might suit your blocking requirements a bit better than using eMule's built-in filter. The main reasons for not using such programs are concern over resources/ram, compatability with eMule or other programs, stability, being a minimalist, and handling larger blocklists. That said, Protowall is striving to allow much larger blocklists with less resources used, so you might want to check it out.

They are advertising it themselves???

That Bluetack stuff, is it reliable, or is it overexaggerated like in your example? Many sites link through to Bluetack, that's why i'm asking.

Downloaded this one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
I'd say you'd be looking at about a 50% legitimate split, obviously its whether you feel it necessary to apply such a blocklist. I'm not advocating its use nor condeming it, i'm just saying its very likely for every block or so, you have a block that's nothing remotely anti-p2p related.

As I mentioned, they just got themselves added to norton's blocklist for blocking norton's update servers :wacky:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:05 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
I'll take a look at how things go without any of this stuff. It seems it does more harm than good. If I get any probs in the coming weeks, I can always copy-paste this nipfilter.dat into my eMule folder.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:13 am  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
search is working 100% now, seems the newer version of php has some different session quirks.
I enabled it so if you sign in the search limit time is halved to 15 seconds. Just to tempt some signups/logins. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:49 am  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Devil, Probably
Not a bug exactly, but didn't "code" allow you to show the whole ed2k link in the previous version (not auto create a link)?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:32 am  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Ancient One
Non horror topic allows you to type what you want & not the old.. title/year/genre/source

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:25 am  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

The Devil, Probably
I am still unable to login to the frontpage.
I tried it with Opera, Firefox, IE clearing cache and cookies. It is not working. :cry:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:38 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
RedVeil wrote:
I am still unable to login to the frontpage.
I tried it with Opera, Firefox, IE clearing cache and cookies. It is not working. :cry:

i didn't realise you couldn't. Without giving me your username and password i can't verify this i'm afraid since its all secure. I've logged in with the 5 test accounts i have, which are different users and different passwords.

i would suggest changing your password and trying again. The details are your forum ones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:39 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
BadBugs wrote:
Non horror topic allows you to type what you want & not the old.. title/year/genre/source

already raised as a bug, that was a custom hack i added to phpbb2 and just needs rewriting when i get chance :) I figured people would follow the standards for a little while before needing pushing... guess i was optimistic :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:41 pm  Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Bugs

Site Admin
karstmobile wrote:
Not a bug exactly, but didn't "code" allow you to show the whole ed2k link in the previous version (not auto create a link)?

It will be where its applied in the code, its not a mod i wrote. I'll try patch it and distribute the fix to the mod creator.

The problem with phpbb is it applies markup BEFORE posting, not after.... its a big criticism i've got on phpbb3 since it alters the text you insert into the database. i can understand why they've done it, i just do not agree with tampering with input data as its no longer generic.

Now the ed2k mod marks up after so it doesn't distinguish the code sections from any other. It may be incredibly hard to patch infact thinking about it :(