Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:10 am  Post subject: Potential Sins of Topic Posts

Site Admin
This is regarding release topics.

I hadn't realised it was problematic, however I thought I would state that in release topics I have sometimes corrected the following issues in the past (for purely HCI/readability/setup reasons):

• Over use of red/yellow or a light colour that will make the post horrible on the other themes, generally needs removing and let the style sheet handle it. Use red for highlighting; its probably a shame its present on the posting menu.. I might remove it.
  • Over use of sized fonts, for people on mobile or ultraportable devices this introduces a lot of scrolling.
  • ed2k link hidden away in the middle of the posts, if it takes more than 10 seconds to find it, it will get shifted to the bottom of the post.
  • Posters / Covers over the size of ~500 pixels, large images over ~800 pixels should be resized down.

There are a birrage of different configurations of devices, browsers (as i'm painfully aware), and on the server side themes that are in use. This means that things like large images over the size of the standard 'minimum' resolution will introduce a horizontal scrollbar, which as you'll know is just a pain.

Using the following code you can resize images down:
Code:
[imgsize=WIDTH]URL[/img]

or make it clickable with:
Code:
[url=URL][imgsize=WIDTH]URL[/img][/url]

Better yet is to use a smaller images (than 800x) as this will be better quality. Obviously with things like hdtv screens, due to bandwidth its better to use a thumbnail anyway.

Next up is the frontpage portal, considering a 800x600 minimum resolution, there's about 80 pixels on either side of images, so 720x really should be the max without using thumbnails.

Best advice is to make sure large images are linked, and scaled down... movie screens should be 100% and never resized as usefullness is removed if you do this.

That covers images, next up is the varying themes; several users are using light/bright themes as the dark theme is hard to read (either because of their eyes or because of their display settings). I would [b]strong[/i] advise against using any bright colour, red, yellow, green.. at least not on mass. Yellow is however unviewable in all but smartDark, so I would avoid it.

Fontsize is a sticky wicket; however its worth considering low resolution devices and the amount of scrolling required for a large font. My advice would be reserve it for titles and only bother with small size increases if you have multiple movies/content on the same post.

Happens a lot on horror sites, largely because of the darker themes which aren't to everyone's taste to start off with.
Thought i'd clear that up; its just to make it more readable for the varying users and setups.

Any other sins or suggestions, please post them here... there's certainly a lot that I'm not aware of?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Potential Sins of Topic Posts

The Devil, Probably
So what are the colors that we are actually allowed to use? I mean using bright is not good for a bright theme. But this is also true the other way around. Can you post some colors that are most likely fit each theme?

Thank you.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Potential Sins of Topic Posts

Site Admin
I'd honestly suggest not overriding the style sheets at all if you can avoid it; they are there to ensure each element looks correct on each respective theme. By using the color tag you are trashing that in a way; each theme has high contrast by default - white and black, and greyscale.

Personally, I'd say don't use any beyond highlighting the odd word, they end up looking like a myspace/bebo/horror page if over used. I don't use it for this reason. I think red doesn't look too bad on the other theme, but it does in large blocks, so if you simply have to highlight a "DON'T DO THIS" kind of comment try bolding and reding. Green doesn't look too bad either, but once again, I wouldn't bother and leave it up to the theme to do the colour markup. Torquise, light blue... any of the top or bottom rows from the blocks of colour types on the right, and even then I'd suggest use sparingly.

Have a test, turn your monitor brightness down, put your monitor into 800x600, then go to the other theme and preview some posts... see if it looks hard to read; I'd definitely say avoid blocks of colour, reserve it for a single word or use italics or bold instead :)

I was just seeing to what extend it overrides style sheets, obviously its a bit nasty because you can do...
Spoiler:
wrecked spoiler

:lol: