Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:19 pm  Post subject: Lets make a explotation forum

Demon Of The Abyss
Time to put a new section for exploitation in my opinion. It is becoming a major part oif this board. Assumign some mod wanst to split the topics out...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Devil, Probably
How about a subsection that consists of the exploitation flicks and the non-horror ones?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Ancient One
Do you mean like NZB & torrent?

Perhaps that exploitation section could be the one only members who donate can access.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Devil, Probably
Yeah that's what i meant :wink: Dunno about the availability only for donating members, but if that brings the necessary cash in Spuds pocket why not. But that would also mean IMO that it needs to be a booming section

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:45 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

Site Admin
Well i did have a test subsection thing setup with non-horror having a variety of subsections; the issue at the moment is its nice to have the "conglomerated" view of everything in the subsections, and that's being achieved by a rather nasty phpbb3 hack i did rather quickly.

If i can fix the hack, I don't have any real objections to subsections in non-horror. However, native subsections don't have the list of childrens topics in the parent.... you may notice if you use the mark all read in a child section it doesn't do mark all read in the parent in torrent/nzb.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:27 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Practice Girl
Location: Back in the glistening folds of Barbara Bush's Twat
What is the point?We got a UEC.....Would just be overkill in my opinion...this place is for horror....spud let's us have our sick smut collection but an entire new subsection is just way to much work to go through all the movies to put them in...I just don't agree with it at all.
And yeah...there are some completely selfish reasons on my decision...1 being I don't spen all these years of work on the UEC for someone just to come along and chop my fucking legs off with a subsection for it.Non-horror should just remain as it is...no changes...of course as I say again..its is only my opinion...but it will certainly piss me off if it does happen...Just being honest here..I am not above petty selfishness.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:36 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

Site Admin
The problem is that a single thread takes way too much processing power to serve as you know, loads very slowly, and must be a nightmare to manage; whilst a subsection is self-managing, uses little resources and serves as a repository for multiple users to manage. Everytime that page is loaded it chomps 2mb for example.

There's still a place for a collection for grouping, details, comparisons, etc., that is the primary goal of the collections after all; direction and grouping, however you have to admit its become rather wild in terms of scope which threatens that somewhat; and updating will/does suffer because it can only ever be managed by one person.

I don't see how an exploitation subsection would be a threat to the exploitation collection, which is so big now that it really needs a logical point of seperation, say 2 - 4 seperate collections (ie nunsploitations, sexploitation, etc.) to actually physically server the data efficiently.

What do people think? Subsections aren't that big a problem technologically, and the issue i mentioned above isn't an issue after all, although you only get one page on the parent and have to mark all subsections read individiually to mark all as read; ala. torrents and nzbs.

I'm sure i could whip up some javascript or something to mark all child forums read.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:39 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Practice Girl
It's not a nightmare to manage...whatever...it's just one man screaming against the wind anyway...do what you want.I'll just shitcan the collection.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:43 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

Site Admin
i didn't realise you'd get all pissy :outsider: :lol: :googley: :wacky: :lol:
:wink:

Just trying to understand everyone's point of view here:
In what way would it trash your collection?
How is it different to non-horror now in your view?

All I see is that jynks is suggesting that instead of just the one section, there'd be 3 or 4 subsections with the "non-horror" being a parent listing... just like the nzb/torrent section is now. That accurately capture your suggestion jynks?

All the information and themes wouldn't be in one place still as a collection is, it would just be all the similar movies are in one separate section and promoted to a mixed section, rather than in *just* the mixed section. The content is present on the forums regardless so I don't see much difference.

I don't see how that either negates your work on the collections, or changes things beyond the fact that people with an interest in just gaillo or sexploitation or art house, or whatever, can look directly in a subsection for content... and use all the features supported by that (ie. forum subscriptions, etc.)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:10 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Practice Girl
Like I said..Do what you want..It's your site..I am not going to make a big drama over this or run away and cry and bitch somewhere else because I didn't get my way...I really don't expect anyone to understand where I am coming from..and to try and explain it would just be feeble on my part suffice to say that one of the reasons there have been so many exploit flicks as of late is because other people besides myself are helping out with filling the collection..but if this is what everyone wants is a new subsection then I won't make any waves.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

Demon Of The Abyss
Quote:
All I see is that jynks is suggesting that instead of just the one section, there'd be 3 or 4 subsections with the "non-horror" being a parent listing... just like the nzb/torrent section is now. That accurately capture your suggestion jynks?

Yea this is all i ment. That though STR, junkboy and others, the exploitation flicks are becoming very popular.. with more and more posted. Just thought it might be easier for people to find them if they had their own section, as a sub section of non-horror. Also allowing others to post there own random finds and rips.

Quote:
The problem is that a single thread takes way too much processing power to serve as you know, loads very slowly, <snip> whilst a subsection is self-managing, uses little resources and serves as a repository for multiple users to manage. Everytime that page is loaded it chomps 2mb for example.

Exactly.

But, I am happy either way... it was just a thought. I just sorta assumed that Dxa exploitation thread would not be a 100% representative of what is on the site... meaning that some would be lost. Though he dose a great job maintaining it. It still must be a load on the database and it is a slow page to load with all those images....

Not that we do not appreciate your time dxa.

Quote:
but an entire new subsection is just way to much work to go through all the movies to put them in...
[/quote]
Totaly.. this is why i said at the start that this may not be a good idea.

I didn't want to start a drama.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Practice Girl
Quote:
I didn't want to start a drama.

You didn't :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:17 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Practice Girl
After thinking on it for a bit I guess I am not so opposed to a subsection...There is a positive aspect to it that I didn't really think about then and that is it having a subsection devoted to it..it might attract more of that type posting here which is a good thing and certainly something I am in favor of. So sorry about the little rant before...ramblings of a deranged mind so to speak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

Site Admin
I think it will be more positive than negative on that front dxa; which leaves your exploitation collections as linkage, history, and making sure its all in one place... or even subclassification (nunsploitation, sexploitation, blaxploitaiton, etc.)

What are people's views on a split of non-horror so it would be more like torrents/nzbs?

Something like:
Action / Adventure
Comedy
Drama
Exploitation
Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Shorts
Misc / Other

maybe?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Ancient One
Sounds good to me. Maybe an additional Thriller subforum, that could contain everything which isn't horrendous enough. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

Site Admin
What subgenre to Giallo sit? Thriller?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:28 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Practice Girl
A subsection for giallo is a must imo..We got enough of those films here to choke a horse so it would be a good little section.Thriller is good..what goes in there though?Movies like seven or what?I guess we leave it up to the posters discretion on what goes in there..Not sure on how many drama's and shorts we got here..not many though...and a few comedy's...not many though :lol: .I don't know....however you want to work it..Don't want to make to much work for you. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:47 am  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

Demon Of The Abyss
Scifi fantasy should simple load the sci fi forum up.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Devil, Probably
How about something like:

Code:
Action / Adventure
Comedy / Drama / Thriller(?)
Exploitation / Giallo
Sci-Fi / Fantasy or Thriller / Fantasy
Misc / Shorts / Other

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Lets make a explotation forum

The Ancient One
You actually would put comedy and drama into the same sub-section? :o