Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:21 pm  Post subject: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
Hello,

I would like to announce that we now have a little bit of extra security that you may wish to utilise... with the upgrade to a new server we also got a heftier box, complete control of our setup and several ips.

This has allowed me to setup https for those that are interested. Obviously due to the cost involved I have not purchased a signed certificate, as the signers charge a hefty fee for a year, instead I have signed it myself. This will mean you will get a popup prompt, with IE this is backwards, you will have to click the red text to continue and with firefox 3 you will have to click "Add Exception", "View Certificate" and then click "add".

Despite the prompt, this is secure.. the prompt merely states that the issuer is unknown (its me :wacky: ) and that it maybe that someone is impersonating this site. All logins, post, etc. will be encrypted between you and the server, although this will not extend to static content (images for example) which will still be http.

There is a performance hit with using SSL for communications, however if you wish to use it:
https://www.dead-donkey.com
https://forum.dead-donkey.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
Sounds nice, but why is this useful for me? (This may be sounding as a stupid question, if you feel like it is, please answer it anyway ;))

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
It may very well not be, however there are a lot of paranoid people out there and it will be encrypting all your traffic between the server and your browser.

Not only does ssl encrypt logins/etc (which is why you will always see it at checkouts and banks), it also encrypts the entire content and infact your request headers... this means anyone sniffing traffic will not be able to decipher any requests you send to the server, no infact the destination of the packets... it will all be encrypted bytecode.

If you want to know the difference, at work if i run a packet capture on our proxy servers i can see all get and post requests to any servers made through that node... that contains post content, urls, etc. if i packet capture ssl its useless.

Now there's a lot of paranoid people out there, and the EU and ISPs are passing silly laws requiring the caching of data and are worried about the MPAA/RIAA/Nazi-Zombies getting a hold of their browsing history. With ssl they will just get encrypted crap on their caches and it will be next to useless for anyone examining it. You can brute force SSL but it takes far too long.
On the flip side of things, the data won't be cached so its going to be slower, and there's an overhead on client and server sides.

To be honest, I probably won't use ssl myself... I just don't see the need and would rather spare resources, but it was free and easy for me to setup with the new ips so now its there if people decide they want to use it.

There's no reason for you to use it, but i know some people are paranoid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
HTTPS is encrypted. It's harder to find out what you are looking for on the site, if someone is sniffing your packets... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
big emphasis on IF obviously in this case, because you'd have thought people have better things to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
OK, thanks for clearing this up :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
I've just moved over the https successfully but...

When browsing the text size goes from normal to massive and back again, seemingly at random.

EDIT:

This is it seen normally after posting this:

And then hitting refresh gets this:

Any suggestions?

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

Last edited by MCMLXXXVIII on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
what browser are you using? not getting that in firefox 3.
text and colours is controlled via style sheets... check you aren't blocking them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
Yes, FF3. How do I check the style sheets?

I'm also using NoSquint to set the text size for each site, but have had no problems with it so far.

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
I think you have a bug in that plugin, maybe try another ssl site?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
I've been using Binsearch SSL and shopping online on many sites since I installed NoSquint (a few days after FF3 was released) with no problems, so I don't think it's that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
I'm pretty certain the problem is your plugin, it, after all, is what is changing the font size after it loads, not the site. ;)

I would suggest it is not correctly loading the stylesheet via https, raise a bug on the project homepage and use the site as an example.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
on a side note, what is wrong with holding down ctrl and scrolling up on your mouse wheel? This works in most windows applications.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
on a side note, what is wrong with holding down ctrl and scrolling up on your mouse wheel? This works in most windows applications.

Because I'd rather have it done automatically for me based on my preference for each site, rather than use CTRL/SCROLL every single time I re-visit it. Much more flexible than changing the font size in FF too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
Bloody hell, it's still happening with NoSquint disabled. :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
what other extensions do you have?

My recommendaiton would be to disable them all, clear out your cache, restart your browser and see if its still there. If its gone, re-enable your plugins one at a time.

I'm using FF3, and used control+scroll and the font is exactly the same size until i manually change it back. This works in both http and https

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:11 am  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Devil, Probably
I'm having the same issue with Firefox 3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

The Ancient One
I've been ignoring this, but have just realised that the top of the page remains at the correct size, whatever size the rest of the page is:

karstmobile wrote:
I'm having the same issue with Firefox 3.

Do you have any extensions running alongside FF3?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:50 am  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
My extensions:
AdBlock (dead-donkey is excluded)
AdBlock Plus
AdBlock Plus Element Hider
Firebug
Firecookie
Firefox companion for ebay
Googlepedia
imagebot
Quick Preferences
ReminderFox
SpeedDial
TamperData

absolutely no sign of the issue you describe:

Tried:
Windows 2000 + IE6, firefox 2 and firefox 3
Windows XP + IE7, opera, firefox 2 and firefox 3
Windows Vista Ultimate + IE7, opera, firefox 2 and firefox 3
Windows Vista Business + IE7, opera, firefox 2 and firefox 3
Ubuntu + Firefox 3

That's from 5 seperate machines, in three seperate locations with four seperate ISPs. No sign of the 'bug'.

My guess is you are tampering with the site locally. The code has not changed since before the move, all stylesheets are present. You must be overriding them.

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="./styles/deadsmart/theme/stylesheet.css" type="text/css" />

This exists:
styles/deadsmart/theme/stylesheet.css

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:54 am  Post subject: Re: Security Feature for Dead-Donkey.com Users

Site Admin
Oh and the standard stuff for local issues:
  • Clear your cache
  • Restart your browser
  • Turn off your firewall (and/or check for hits)
  • Turn off your adblocker (and/or check for hits)
  • Make sure you disable your extensions

In my experience running a number of sites, these kind of problems are nearly always local misconfigurations. The look and feel of the site is configured by a stylesheet, so if you are blocking it or overriding it then that would explain why it looks different.

You didn't turn off no-referral did you?

I can't think of any other local diagnostics I can do, since I don't get this problem on any machine i have access to.