Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:09 am  Post subject: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Site Admin
I've noticed torrent and nzb are awfully scare these days, and in the case of nzb there's a worrying thread of who's posting:
viewforum.php?f=49

I know people are downloading, as it says, but i was wondering if there's something about the format that makes it difficult to post a nzb/torrent at dead-donkey? I don't want to think that the software is preventing people posting them. I understand the "no registered trackers" rule makes torrent posting slightly more difficult due to most of it being closed membership and strict ratio trading, but nzb should be simpler.

If its the attaching; Rarring and attaching should be simple, install winrar and then right click the nzb and add it to a new rar. Then below your post, go to upload attachment, click browse then hit add the file. Then when its uploaded hit submit :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:

I know people are downloading, as it says, but i was wondering if there's something about the format that makes it difficult to post a nzb/torrent at dead-donkey? I don't want to think that the software is preventing people posting them. I understand the "no registered trackers" rule makes torrent posting slightly more difficult due to most of it being closed membership and strict ratio trading, but nzb should be simpler.

Well, since I've lost access to free newsgroups through my provider I do virtually no
downloading via the newsgroups any longer. Do you think there are a lot of users here
that either don't have access or don't want to pay for them? I fall into both categories.
I did the futile search for 'free binarie newsgroups' but those are just a myth. I guess I
feel I can get most of what I want via private trackers and the mule.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Ancient One
Same here, no access and unwilling to pay. Otherwise I'd be all over he nzb section. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:32 am  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Devil, Probably
I'm mostly newsgroups these days. I'll keep the section in mind and contribute more if I can. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
i guess i fell victim to demonoid. its just so damn convenient.

I have some really awesome old b/w movies that i could upload. most of them aren't on this site.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The reason I dont post torrents is that most torrent sites I'm on is privat ...never tried Nzb ...Where is the "go to upload attachment" is it in the wirar program ? cant find it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:36 am  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Devil, Probably
slasherman wrote:
... Where is the "go to upload attachment" is it in the wirar program ? cant find it

It is on the post reply screen on the forum. Click "post reply" and you can see the upload section.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

karstmobile wrote:
slasherman wrote:
... Where is the "go to upload attachment" is it in the wirar program ? cant find it

It is on the post reply screen on the forum. Click "post reply" and you can see the upload section.

Think I need a screenshot explanation from start to finish to understand how that Nzb thing works.. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:50 am  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Devil, Probably
slasherman wrote:
karstmobile wrote:
slasherman wrote:

Think I need a screenshot explanation from start to finish to understand how that Nzb thing works.. :oops:

Nothing really that complex...

If you don't know much about .nzb's and newsgroups:
Dead-Donkey guide: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14869
Slyck guide: http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

NZB files may be uploaded for others to download (if you look in the torrent/nzb forum you can see the attached files).

The above shows what you will see when you create a post. Just upload the .nzb as you create the post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:57 am  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Site Admin
zip the nzb btw, saves a lot of space since its plaintext :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Devil, Probably
I am absolutely not interested in news groups. Most of the stuff I want I get from a private torrent tracker. Since I am such a great member I would not even need bittorrent since can download directly via ftp from their seedboxes. :-P
Funny thing is I don't do even this. Except for a few tv eps. I rarely download more than a single movie a month. And in most cases I delete it after 10 minutes. Maybe I am even pickier than I was before, but nearly all new stuff I deem as almost unwatchable crap lately.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 am  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Site Admin
you suck...

Even though I'm not watching most, I am stocking up; I'm over in spain with just my laptop now, but I've setup mldonkey on a nas which is trundling along and i can feed it remotely. Also got a windows box i can do remote encodes on but I have to use a "script" to change dvds in it (phoneImpl().phoneSomeoneToChangeDVD()) :lol: Luckily all the best p2p / download agents all focus on remoting so i can scp torrents across or use the webguis.

That all said, there's a lot of shit around... there always has been though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
(phoneImpl().phoneSomeoneToChangeDVD()) :lol: Luckily all the best p2p / download agents all focus on remoting so i can scp torrents across or use the webguis.

:lol:

A real geek would have built a robot. :wacky: :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
you suck....

Possible, but don't get excited. I won't suck you :-P

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Luckily all the best p2p / download agents all focus on remoting so i can scp torrents across or use the webguis.

For Bittorrent I wrote my own client/server program. Same gui/core separation as in mldonkey for edonkey. But since I suck, you won't get it. :-P

spudthedestroyer wrote:
That all said, there's a lot of shit around... there always has been though.

Maybe I have all the shit I needed. :-D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Site Admin
wargand wrote:
For Bittorrent I wrote my own client/server program. Same gui/core separation as in mldonkey for edonkey. But since I suck, you won't get it. :-P

Reinventing the wheel?
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/

:p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Reinventing the wheel?
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/

:p

Yes and no. Of course I know this project. I also wrote an auto uploader for my favourite tracker. A new release just has to be copied into a certain folder via ftp or scp and it is automatically torrented, seeded and announced on the tracker website. For the seeding part I currently use rtorrent. Soon it will be replaced with my own client. rtorrent is good, my client certainly is not better, but allows me to implement features I want. And of course teaches me quite a bit about bittorrent and similar protocols.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Demon Of The Abyss
Rarely use news in this period.

Don't down DVDr's anymore, and until I get my new rig early next year I have no need 720/1080 stuff.

For now, the mule and a few trackers like CG suffice ....

Don't most pay news providers host their own NZB files ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Torrent and Nzb not being used?

Site Admin
Quote:
Don't most pay news providers host their own NZB files ?

no; i assume you mean you've never used news? :lol: