Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:51 pm  Post subject: Concerning hobbits... erm Movies

Site Admin
Okay, its been brought up that maybe the non-horror movie section is better placed up in the movie releases. Whilst it isn't horror, the comment was made that if you limit your search by the movie sections, the non-horror won't appear in the search which is very true. I am very happy moving the section up a notch if need be. Would make it more consistant I suppose and help out if you do a search.

Secondly, I am now in favour of meging the *dead* DVD-r section with another, as it has had zero posts (I guess its just too early for DVDr releases :( )

Regardless, I believe in light of both SVCD and DVD-r being the 'same' technology, ie. Both designed for standalones, both are an MPEG2 format, and the current unpopularlity of VCD that the most local place to merge will be SVCD and DVD-r.

I believe that would be the most logical thing to do as both sections, as stated are for standalones and aren't exactly buzzing.

Please let me know what you think of the two suggestions, personally it depends on if we can eliminate a section first non-horror would be better in movies, and I am in favour of removing DVD-r.

Feel free to make any other suggestions regarding board structure :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:33 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
yeah i'll go with that :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:52 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
While you're at it install me a minibar in my private quarters.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:31 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Location: A local town, for local people.......there's nothing for you here.
That's fine with me spud.

As you are asking for suggestions for the site, i have to say that when i found this site, it was luck rather than judgement which led me from the mainpage to the forum (and all the delightful goodies within). Initially i just did the usual "where's the movie links button?" thing, went straight to the movie links via the mainpage, and although smart enough, thought that was all the site had to offer. A friend of mine who i sent the dead-donkey url to, did exactly the same. Would it be a good idea to bring more attention to what lies in the forum with some larger, maybe different coloured text than is in evidence at the moment?

One other thing, (bet you're so glad you asked now! :lol: ), is it possible to add an "@dead-donkey.com" tag to any files that have come via the links on the site, like SR, SVCD Plaza, The Realworld and others do. This has led me to many sites, and assuming you always want to encourage new users here, it would be a good way of advertising the site. I have @dead-donkey.com as part of my username btw.

It's still a super site by the way, and i'm enjoying my time here.

Keep up the good work my friend, and best of luck! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:55 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
yup merge vcd,svcd and dvd-r ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:56 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
ohgodnotanotherone wrote:
While you're at it install me a minibar in my private quarters.... 8)

imposter.... grrrr :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:02 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
EagleEater wrote:
One other thing, (bet you're so glad you asked now! :lol: ), is it possible to add an "@dead-donkey.com" tag to any files that have come via the links on the site, like SR, SVCD Plaza, The Realworld and others do. This has led me to many sites, and assuming you always want to encourage new users here, it would be a good way of advertising the site.

The problem with that is the downside, what right should a site have to tag a file knowing full well that it's not their release/rip. I know a lot of people don't like tagging files. I tag my own with dead-donkey, but as for tagging other people's, I don't think that's what people want, and as they are their rips, its best to leave it up to them to decide the filenames for their files.

Quote:
I have @dead-donkey.com as part of my username btw.

Greatly appreciated :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:08 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
EagleEater wrote:
One other thing, (bet you're so glad you asked now! :lol: ), is it possible to add an "@dead-donkey.com" tag to any files that have come via the links on the site, like SR, SVCD Plaza, The Realworld and others do. This has led me to many sites, and assuming you always want to encourage new users here, it would be a good way of advertising the site.

The problem with that is the downside, what right should a site have to tag a file knowing full well that it's not their release/rip. I know a lot of people don't like tagging files. I tag my own with dead-donkey, but as for tagging other people's, I don't think that's what people want, and as they are their rips, its best to leave it up to them to decide the filenames for their files.

Quote:
I have @dead-donkey.com as part of my username btw.

Greatly appreciated :beerchug:

mmm, I'm happy for my releases (PCA and STR (if ripped by me)) to be flagged as either HHAH / Dead-donkey as long as the PCA/STR tag remains, and ONLY if they make frontpage release (I'm aware of the fact that I can add my own rips to the frontpage, but wouldn't do so as I believe it's a little egotistical).

I have no problem at all with my releases being used to publicise this site, I guess the only way you can really decide is to ask all the active rippers here for their opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:21 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
One thing I've done in the past is add a comment to the file(s) I've released in eMule.

Something like "For more movies like this, check out the forum at http://www.dead-donkey.com"

:D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:23 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Okay merged the two sections and lifted non-horror. Don't think any other re-arrangements are needed unless there's some radical changes in formats or uberconnections appear or something. thx peeps.

@Eagle, I had recently added some new text at the center of the mainpage with enlarged forums text, but I'll look into something to post/empahsise the forums. thx for letting me know

@PCA, thx, but I think it might be better to leave it to the rippers. I guess a poll will see what people think if need be.

I won't be using 'hhah' on any of my files, dead-donkeys been spammed off the first page of google :( Only the forums appear on the second page. Will have to use 'dead-donkey.com'

@DZbenz, yup, I do that too :lol: :mrgreen: With emule (and thusly ability to read comments) being so popular its probably more fair to do something like that.

'reshared as per request @ dead-donkey.com' is what I put :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:31 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
@PCA, thx, but I think it might be better to leave it to the rippers. I guess a poll will see what people think if need be.

Fair enough, I actually quite like getting the filename amended with a site that has "frontpaged" the release, it makes it easier to see how the file has spread and where has publicised it (hence the reason for requestign only adding dead-donkey.com to frontpage releases), Friday the 13th and the H666 releases have a whole load of filenames with release sites which I'd never heard of until I spread checked those files.

The choice is your (of course), but I was giving you my blessing to do whatever the hell you feel like with my filenames (within sensible parameters) ;)

Last edited by PC_Arcade on Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:34 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
PC_Arcade wrote:
whatever the hell you feel like with my filenames (within sensible parameters) ;)

Damn, so I'm not allowed to change Friday the 13th --> Islamic.Fundamentalist.Training.Video.ripped.by.PCA.(home address, telephone number).avi

is out of the question? :wacky: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:39 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
:LOL:
Leave out the phone number and hell yeah, go for it ;)

to got a little OT, apparently that F13 rip was one targeted by those lovely Baymedia / comcast people as lots of people who were dowloading it got letters warning them not to share. I felt quite cheated by the fact that it was MY RIP and I didn't get one :LOL:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:04 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
lol, they went after all the friday movies. Maybe someone wants to inform them that the reason no1 buys them is that they suck donkey balls :D

Bah! humbug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:48 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Location: A local town, for local people.......there's nothing for you here.
Wow! I've opened quite a can of worms here it seems. :lol:

DJBenz wrote:
One thing I've done in the past is add a comment to the file(s) I've released in eMule.

That's a good idea. I didn't know that was possible, having not used emule yet. It's not a feature here in Overnetville (population: 0 rare files). It is the only feature i miss from those not so halcyon Kazzarrgh days. Pleased to hear i'm gonna have it when i get on my mule! :)

Spud wrote:
I'll look into something to post/empahsise the forums. thx for letting me know

My pleasure. :)

Spud wrote:
I think it might be better to leave it to the rippers. I guess a poll will see what people think if need be.

A good idea also. :)

PCA wrote:
I was giving you my blessing to do whatever the hell you feel like with my filenames

Bloody nice chap! :)

Spud wrote:
Islamic.Fundamentalist.Training.Video.ripped.by.PCA.(home address, telephone number).avi

Ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:49 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
PC_Arcade wrote:
to got a little OT, apparently that F13 rip was one targeted by those lovely Baymedia / comcast people as lots of people who were dowloading it got letters warning them not to share. I felt quite cheated by the fact that it was MY RIP and I didn't get one :LOL:

:o

That is the coolest thing ever. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:00 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
TBH spud, I was given the link to the forums by someone, i forget who, and I never knew for quite some time there was a frontpage. I am too used to the forums now, and I rarely visit the frontpage. I did notice on the times I did tho that the link ot the forums was puny and hard to spot, like someone above said, I think, the forums are a great resource and community.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:29 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
DJBenz wrote:

Something like "For more movies like this, check out the forum at http://www.dead-donkey.com"

Good idea, but note that some clients filter comments containing http:/ and www.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:06 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
i thought they filtered pms with www. and .com? Do they do that to the comment system too? That's totally gay, what if it has a site like cut details or something?