Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:42 am  Post subject: lock the sections so the guest.....

The Ancient One
lock the sections so the damn guest have to reg up to see what is inside, all the damn guests just look grab links and give shit about our community, our horror site and us. dont want to be apart of anything just grab and grab all the shit they can get their hands on....i say lock the sections for guests make them sweat before they grab the links.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:02 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
what do other users think about this?

I mean if you download from edonkey you have to upload, so it's not like they are leeching, but then again it is load on the database and what have you. I don't mind if they are left unlocked, and I've had lots of support through e-mail.

I did after all create this site based on already existing releases on the network so maybe it should be open to all. Are you saying i should just hide the release/request sections so people look around and join in? That would probably be the best?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:49 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Ah,doc is just sour the Spawn transfer took as long as it did -
you and doc should have had it by now were it not for 2 lurkers( 1 is a silent member ) who stole bandwidth..

tell you what doc why don't you send them a nice warm charming Private message ! :twisted:

Edit: Then again , If you could implement in the release list some kind of delay for non members,if ONLY one week ... after a week let it go public :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:13 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
@ ohgodnotanotherone i have sorted out that with the person that did the download......

@ spud,i was more thinking of the ppl that only go here as guests and dont want to be apart of our horror community at all, i dont see any point why they have the right to read all the stuff we type in the forum? like it is now everyone can surf the forum and see what u have typed and that stuff aint for the public its for us that have joined the forum, the link is public yes but u gotta know where they are and can be hard to find if u dont know where to look. so make them sign up to our forum if they want any part of it, dont u think it would have been better with some sort of controll/security to see who logs on your forum also, but its up to you....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:11 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Yup, I think the forums should be locked for guests. Maybe a poll?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:28 am  Post subject: Too bad, good things don't last.

The Devil, Probably
Just registered to post my first release here and now I have to go. Why? Sorry, but boards where I have to login to _read_ are an absolutely no go for me. Nevertheless, it was fun. Thank you :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:21 am  Post subject: Re: Too bad, good things don't last.

The Ancient One
wargand wrote:
Just registered to post my first release here and now I have to go. Why? Sorry, but boards where I have to login to _read_ are an absolutely no go for me. Nevertheless, it was fun. Thank you :-)

if its to hard work for u to reg at our board becouse u want to read our posts then bye... some privacy we must have if u ask me......... but remember u gotta reg at our board if u want to post anything anyway, and u can see the headers of the sections, so whats ur problem really? :roll:

@spud when will u decide to lock the posts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:58 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
@ doc they already are.

edit:
Quote:
Just registered to post my first release here and now I have to go. Why? Sorry, but boards where I have to login to _read_ are an absolutely no go for me. Nevertheless, it was fun. Thank you

I understand that, which is why I was reluctant and still not sure about it. However, I am more concerned about the users that are contributing the forum feeling that they aren't able to spread their movies efficiently enough (see deadly spawn thread) and be more of a community. The mainpage is verified films and that will of course always be open to everyone, but the forums are like a community for own releases, discussions etc. so i think it may work better this way. The database was also seeming a bit slugish because of the number of connections (at least that was i assumed it was :) ). It's not what i wanted but I feel it might stand a better chance of growing this way. I mean people can sign up easily and not post anything if they wish, just makes the community of this size a bit better :)

Please if your against it/for it, please post here and tell me. :)
Spud.dupS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:37 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Im for it..

Even if there's a few drawbacks i think it's better to have the forum locked!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:42 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Okay one of the reasons that influenced me locking the boards is gone thanks to Station51.net and their great hosting. I know quite a lot of ed2k forums operate in locked content mode but I just talked to someone who doesn't like it.

Anyway, what do people think about some of the sections being "locked" like they are now? they are visible to some extent so people know what's here, just not what's in topics.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:51 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Basically buddy, the sections that contain releases should be locked, the general chat sections are up to you matey. Maybe users should also let us know if their mule names are different from on here, cos I wanna start banning ppl that falsely use the HHAH tag just to get a movie, then I am gonna track em down and do a Deathwatch on em :matrix:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:52 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
I'm against it. Also read-only users are part of the community imo.
Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:14 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Ohh christ - if it's such a sore brick in your stomach then release them - Though what takkyon proposed sounds eh..sound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:58 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Fuckin' eh, someone agrees with me. Gonna burn down my local pensioners home to celebrate :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:38 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
hey gio :)

Yeah, that's the great thing about emule. By the way the problem that started this thread is a I believe, a movie was being shared on this board for some of the members. An anonymous user who wasn't regged jumped the queue, downloaded and then pulled the file from his shares (is that what happened?). I don't think everyone is like that, I suppose it's a bit disconcerting when your trying to get some rare horror flicks spread :)

Still imo, I made the list from mostly other people's rips, the forums are a community but it's based on filesharing still :)

BTW, i updated some of the permissions, i think the bug that killed the troma collection is gone so deletes of posts are re-enabled :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:59 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
The good thing about this mod, morph v8f, is it will tell me when ppl on my friend list change name, and everytime I see a HHAH tagged user I add them to my friends list, and almost all of them will stay with that tag until I start upping to them and then they change it to another community tag, and it goes on like this. It is extremely fukin annoying to say the least, especially when a rip was done by one of us for us primarily and some tosspot starts nicking our bandwidth. Dont get me wrong tho, if someone sticks with the HHAH tag then that is fine as they obviously wish to be a part of our community, just the leeches piss me off, altho the latest mods are blocking these now, thank God.

A good example is this, when I was grabbing the CTP release of Reloaded at one point I had over 250 ppl in my queue with the HHAH tag.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:13 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
thank god i've never witnessed something like that. :shock:

Well I don't want to get guests confused with leeches, for every person that leeches there are hundreds that don't do that so I don't think it would be right to do it solely on that premise. I have quite a lot of HHAH people in the queue, and lots on my friends list but all have the tag still there (most I recognize from here, filenexus or fileheaven anyways) :)

Quote:
A good example is this, when I was grabbing the CTP release of Reloaded at one point I had over 250 ppl in my queue with the HHAH tag.

They will never have visited this site, it was must likely a bug (if your using morph that's probably right) Some clients show the same nickname when they aren't really set like that I think, most likely a bug in emule. Then again there are mods that mimic tags but that doesn't have anything to do with locking sections imo, it's an unfortunate by product of open source.

btw, don't put them in [] just write your name like HHAH tackyon , the spoof clients aren't clever and don't realise it's a community tag. Same goes for tahhahyon or any other variation :) You will notice a drop in the number of people with the tags. Same goes for any other community tags you use. I noticed this with the fileheaven one I use too, there were hundreds when i had it in my name as [fileheaven]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:35 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I gotta say I have no idea what mod I was using, but since the latest batch of anti-leech mods popped up the problem is almost gone, thank god.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:54 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
hehe,
i actually thought i was blocked/banned from the forum a while ago, as i dont normally put my password and stuff in until i post something.

though its already a 'member's only forum' now-

having to register to see a forum can make a visitor not want to bother at all. I usually wouldnt sign up just to view. I also tend to post a link to this forum from other sites, and some people who have never visited may think the forum is dead if they cant get in, or just one of those trick sites that wants a valid email address to spam.

on a plus side,if someone doesnt want to take the effort to sign up, they more than likely wouldnt release anything,fill requests, or have thier upload higher then 10k/sec. and cut down on stupid, stupid people.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:10 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
well i set it to visible for all after gio posted because the server had settled. Like i put earlier, it was the freehosts that forced me to turn it on, i'm not a big fan of locking stuff, i could just understand why people would want it done :)

I think that a lot of people might be users of other boards and just aren't huge fans of horror so signing up would be pointless :)