Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:34 pm  Post subject: The new quote boxes

Mod of the Living Dead
Is there anyway to get these HORRIBLE quote boxes to default to expanded?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:45 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Yeah, I was going to propose the same. You never know whether what you see is already the whole content or there is something below the bottom line... And when there's a post containing a few of them, it's really annoying to open every single of them manually.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:35 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Okay maybe I'm insane but am I the only one that finds them a vast improvement?

a) its a quote, you should have already read it/know it 2 seconds before, unless its used to quote from another source
b) if its a nfo, this crap isn't needed most of the time, so is viewed only if you need it
c) specs are hidden to the bare essentials
d) FAQ is more readable
e) collections look much better if they use quotes since you don't have as much unnessecary information displayed

Poly wrote:
Yeah, I was going to propose the same. You never know whether what you see is already the whole content or there is something below the bottom line... And when there's a post containing a few of them, it's really annoying to open every single of them manually.

I don't understand at all your complaint poly, its a quote of something thats already been posted in the thread 90% of the time :? I don't understand, I mean you should know what you just typed surely?

I'm currently trying them out as you've noted, and so far they seem a huge improvement in removing duplicate/unneeded data. There are instances where you need to click expand, but most of the times, people simply quote the post above them... so I really don't understand what the problem is as it stands...

edit: the link sent to me by pca was to an article i quoted in a thread, which kinds of makes sense I guess, you have to click another if your going to read the article (although I'd guess many would skip it and just reply to my summation). Take a look at the FAQ to see what I mean anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:15 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I like it. Handy dandy. But...

First post of a new thread that is a quote of another first post from another forum... would need to be expanded. Would it be possible to create a special tag for quotes/codes etc. that would not be subject to collapse? [special] [/special]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:09 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Nah, I like all the info at my fingertips. Afraid I am not a fan of the new boxes either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:32 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I also liked the old ones better. Alot of the time they are used to quote other sites, like IMDB comments, or some tech-specs, or a whole movie-post from FH, and then it's much better to have it in the old way IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:46 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Okay maybe I'm insane but am I the only one that finds them a vast improvement?

a) its a quote, you should have already read it/know it 2 seconds before, unless its used to quote from another source
b) if its a nfo, this crap isn't needed most of the time, so is viewed only if you need it
c) specs are hidden to the bare essentials
d) FAQ is more readable
e) collections look much better if they use quotes since you don't have as much unnessecary information displayed

Poly wrote:

I don't understand at all your complaint poly, its a quote of something thats already been posted in the thread 90% of the time :? I don't understand, I mean you should know what you just typed surely?.

I usually do.

Did you understand the above answer immediately?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:50 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I usually do.

But this:
karstmobile wrote: ? Select ? ? Expand ?
I like it. Handy dandy. But...

First post of a new thread that is a quote of another first post from another forum... would need to be expanded. Would it be possible to create a special tag for quotes/codes etc. that would not be subject to collapse? [special] [/special]

Seems very reasonable. And yes, what about copying releases from other sites? Does this: http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... ghlight=fh
look good to you?

If I understand it correctly, if someone quotes something, they do it for a reason, so the quote is actually *supposed* to be there and be read. At least that's how *I* use quotes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:29 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Kinda ironically I hit the wrong button their poli :lol: my bad, I copied and pasted what it said but its missing the quotes....

-----

Anyways:

Quote:

Well there were three questions asked, and you quoted all of them :o i'd say your either unrealisticly using the quote, or you've proven the point about people just quoting the entire posts above them. You should really quote something relevant ;)

I did know what you were saying since, I hit expand... isn't that the point? I mean the option is there if people aren't using quotes properally or making life hard for people.

Quote:
Seems very reasonable. And yes, what about copying releases from other sites? Does this: http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... ghlight=fh
look good to you?

I think your unfairly representing your arguement. Whilst I'll get to the quoting of different sites in a second, that was posted before, you could just have easily corrected it:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... ghlight=fh
;)

I realise your going to the extreme with your first quote to prove your point, but I'd say it kind of backfired. You could just have easily typed @spud... or even clicked my name to the same effect.

Quote:
If I understand it correctly, if someone quotes something, they do it for a reason, so the quote is actually *supposed* to be there and be read. At least that's how *I* use quotes.

Well to be fair, in your 'test' example you did it merely to say you were responding to an entire post, which isn't a actual usage of quotes i see beyond lazy people doing. So no, I think your wrong if you quote like that. Relevant quotes are always snipped, posting a full size post would only be applicable if its off site quoting. I don't think you would use a quote like your example, or at least I've never seen you do that. Why not quote the question you were answering alone? What did the rest of the quote prove in that situation? But I understnad you were attempting proving a point in that instance :)

Why couldn't you have done:
Quote:
I don't understand, I mean you should know what you just typed surely?.

Instead of forcing someone to scan through a lot of stuff you don't adress at all in the reply?

It seems an unrealistic way of chatting to someone and (putting database and physical wastage away), the extra time it takes to understand the blubbering by scanning through the data seems a bit harsh, shorten the quote to relevance and there's no problem! Instead of picking out key points, just canninly repeat the entire thing, and then only adress one point. Reminds me of newbie/lazy newsgroup posters, that reply without trimming out the points and you just end up with a huge mass (or rather mess ;) ) of useless data you have to scroll through.

and even then, all i did was I hit expand to read the whole thing, its not like its gone or anything :lol: If that extra scope is needed, which it rarely is, then the option is there and all :)

I think the thrust of the arguement, from speaking to PCA in RealTime 2.1 (:mrgreen:) is that large quotes from other sites is the problem, and I agree totally. The purpose of the test is to perfect the system. I think as it stands its a heck of a lot more functional, but it needs modifying (as said, It is a live test as it were). The rest boils down to personal taste (and who is willing to scroll through pages of quotes for one word answers ;) ). I'll look into it. I think a seperate quote might work just as well, maybe [offquote][/offquote] or something like that for static, although I'd recommend strongly against there over use. Making a selectable option is asking a heck of a lot from me, I'd have to edit the code extensively and add a check and another field in the database just to get any closer to it I think. Adding a duplicate template might work I suppose, so you could choose different subBlacks for the quoting. The rest of the complaints are based on taste I guess, since I've had just as many for as against (I asked peeps at fh since I proposed it there in a thread listing mods for problem solutions).

Don't worry though, I'm not ignoring your opinions or anything, just getting a picture of what it improves and what it doesn't :) At the moment, I'd say it improves a lot more, but there is the very important offsite quoting that needs addressing :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:35 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Would it be possible to maybe have it activated by default, but make it possible for each user to change it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:56 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
oh and that first part is just about usage of quotes in general, I think the usage will change for the better with the system as a result. I wasn't saying people don't do it, I was saying that it would be better for everyone if it wasn't, and maybe this system will sort that out (or maybe not). Just pointing that it was a microcasm of quote usage that thankfully isn't used often :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:59 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
oh and that first part is just about usage of quotes in general, I think the usage will change for the better with the system as a result. I wasn't saying people don't do it, I was saying that it would be better for everyone if it wasn't, and maybe this system will sort that out (or maybe not). Just pointing that it was a microcasm of quote usage that thankfully isn't used often
/QUOTE

Yeah I am rebelling. Guees I will just have to get used to it. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:13 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Why not quote the question you were answering alone? What did the rest of the quote prove in that situation?

Because I see many people using quotes this way. And by saying that this is how I use them I did not mean I quote the entire content of the relevant post, I meant I want people to read the quotes. I only use them if the quoted post is a few posts above my answer, so that it is clear what I'm answering to. But this still proves the point, what I quote *does* matter and is meant to be read.

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Don't worry though, I'm not ignoring your opinions or anything, just getting a picture of what it improves and what it doesn't :)

Glad to hear that. :) :P

Oh, and thank for ruining my post. You've had your revenge. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:35 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Check out a quite normal way to post a film:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

See how messy that quote box looks?

I have to scroll down, just to find out what language the film is, and if I will need the subs or not....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:21 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
It'd be good if we can set it to Expand or Contract by default in our profiles..

By the way, these boxes takes more space in one-line quotes :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:40 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
John_Doe wrote:
Check out a quite normal way to post a film:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

See how messy that quote box looks?

I have to scroll down, just to find out what language the film is, and if I will need the subs or not....

That post is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better though with the quote box minimised, because that nfo is butt ugly :lol: Having that maximised would be hideous.... look at how much space is wasted by the ugly characters. Sad but true :( Maybe the plot would have been better maximised, but I can easily click expand which isn't much of a pain to me... but I know people are lazy so fair dos :lol:

Anyways, sorry i was meant to disable it yesterday but haven't had much time lately. Okay I disabled it for now (sorry guys who like it), and will tweak it before uploading again. There's lots of things I can do to fix it, the hardest would be the best way. To have an option to expand or contract by default... the easiest is a template choice. I could hack subBlack and link back all the images and then have one template with it applied and one with it not.

Quote:
Oh, and thank for ruining my post. You've had your revenge.

A jedi never seeks revenge... only ticket sales :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:02 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I could've handled it if perhaps the size of the scrolling boxes had been a bit bigger, maybe another 3 or 4 lines extra.

I just like to have info to hand, and seeing those puny scrollboxes would have meant me having to scroll thru em, and I guess Spud is right, altho I prefer lazy wanker myself, seems to fit me more for some reason :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
I could've handled it if perhaps the size of the scrolling boxes had been a bit bigger, maybe another 3 or 4 lines extra.

Stuff like that is easy to do of course (although what about one line quotes?), but I was looking more of quote habits that might not make it easy to implement.

Quote:
and seeing those puny scrollboxes would have meant me having to scroll thru em,

okay sorry its late and i haven't slept for ages, but I'm not quite sure what your meaning. You mean you sat down and scrolled through the text instead of hitting <EXPAND> so you didn't have to scroll? Or do you mean, just because the scroll bar was there you felt compelled to scroll it? or do you mean that it saved you the effort of having to scroll through that repeat data?

The scroll bar was just there to say there was more after the quote box finishes, if u didn't see a scroll bar = no extra text.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:06 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
What I meant was that if I just wanted to refresh my memory I was just scrolling thru the first half dozen or so lines just to jog my memory.

Don't mind me anyways, I always do everything arse about face LOL