Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:04 pm  Post subject: The main page does not like me. Cannot login.

The Devil, Probably
Don't know why, but I just tried to login on the main page, but I am not known there. Nope, I won't register two times. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:54 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
main page and forums are seperate.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:45 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
main page and forums are seperate.

Is there a certain logic behind it, or is it just coincidence, bad coding?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:25 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
yes. if one is hacked or corrupted, they will both be affected. I don't like the whole integration method. It is a lot easier to manage if they are kept sepearte.

If you use the same memberlist and settings, you can not update as you would like. You have to wait for nuke to come out with an update patch. Secondly the site is stored in two seperate folders, one for the main site, one for the forums, with the appropriate forwards setup like that.

The forums and the main site are stored in seperate databases like all sites should be imo. i wouldn't recommend to anyone to use the same database. If you've used some of the big sites you know that this can be a huge problem, even resulting in rolling back to a previous backup or starting again.

You can vote and write reviews without signing in. You are just not allowed to make comments on existing reviews (which are currently disabled for movies atm).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:12 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
yes. if one is hacked or corrupted, they will both be affected.

Will happen anyways in 99.9%. Or do you really think someone is using different logins/passwords for forum and mainpage?
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I don't like the whole integration method. It is a lot easier to manage if they are kept sepearte.

Generally yes, but one common table for user credentials between forum and main page would not make it more difficult (I think).

spudthedestroyer wrote:
If you use the same memberlist and settings, you can not update as you would like. You have to wait for nuke to come out with an update patch. Secondly the site is stored in two seperate folders, one for the main site, one for the forums, with the appropriate forwards setup like that.

Ok ok, I know, I know nothing how the site is actually coded. :-)
spudthedestroyer wrote:
The forums and the main site are stored in seperate databases like all sites should be imo. i wouldn't recommend to anyone to use the same database. If you've used some of the big sites you know that this can be a huge problem, even resulting in rolling back to a previous backup or starting again.

Use three databases. One for forum, one for main page and one for user handling.
spudthedestroyer wrote:
You can vote and write reviews without signing in. You are just not allowed to make comments on existing reviews (which are currently disabled for movies atm).

It's ok. I was more suprised than angry. Actually logging in twice is not such a big deal :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:25 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
http://www.phpnuke.org is what the frontpage is done in, and its highly modified so i could get it to do what i wanted. I've added three review modules and spent a lot of time modifying them to work (it is only supposed to have 3). I fixed the search (although i made a typo if u read the topic below this :( ). I've also removed lots of content and moved it around to ensure it is more secure and that it performs as I'd like.

The whole register thing is integrated into the frontpage code, even if i used the forum built in to phpnuke, i still think you'd have to sign up again. I've modified the code so accounts are automatically verified and they can start posting straight away. I've removed access to the e-mail addresses and everything (wouldn't want anyones e-mail address being shown to the public :) ). So i've done everything I can to make it as secure as possible.

I've thought about how the site works and I suppose it could share a member list, i'd just be weary of doing so.... I wouldn't know how to integrate the memberlist as you purposed without spending a long time going through the code. Then again, I got the local database and apache server for testing the latest builds of the site so I'll look into it :)