Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:30 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Okay seen as though i can see again, so whats the deal with the header?

Do you think it will be better with only one column for news (6 items), one column for ed2k (6 items) and then the block on the right extended?

Its not that big a deal to change so if its wanted i'll try out any suggestions..

As for the search, the forum search will be the same, I can use the frontpage search to search through the titles and the intro, its just whether text is entered as to whether it will make a difference. Search optimisation is... well its difficult, google make a packet out of huge algorithms...

Thanks for all the comments btw, I wondered if it was futile but glad to see people have noticed :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:38 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Okay seen as though i can see again, so whats the deal with the header?

Do you think it will be better with only one column for news (6 items), one column for ed2k (6 items) and then the block on the right extended?

Its not that big a deal to change so if its wanted i'll try out any suggestions..

one column for news IMO and enlarge the nav side but if the nav side is big enough for everyone else then maybe have twice the amount of space for the ed2k links?.....i mean 6 movies is not that many considering the amount that get posted?

[edit] and i see your avatar is linking to the frontpage now but erm...whats the avatar from?....could we have something more zombified?...heh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:43 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
if someone wants to make a logo, then please do, its not a lot of space to work with mind :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:46 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
could you not just rip the house from the old banner?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
yeah, but something new and refreshing is always better. When i have time i'll paintshoppro and have a look...

As for the top banner, I'm just trying to cater for everyone btw, I will sort it out though and see if i can make it smaller for the little guys, I did plan on posting 6 or so news articles a day since there's section for the site, horror, movies and games, but if people are interested the frontpage is one click away.

You should notice i've trim the top down a lot, it was kind of bloated so now (well as a little guy you'll know more about this) you don't scroll down as far on every page, its just on the smaller res' the text wraps over several lines, and makes the box bigger verically, even then the actual space taken up by it is less than the old one, just seems like more :lol:

Feedback on everything welcomed :)

ps. its from Majora's Mask, the moon hits the ground and kills everyone :lol: Seems like an apt choice for some new software that could possible do the same ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:48 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Well can not read a damn word on the front page now unless I highlight all the text, is it just me?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:16 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Maby a small touch would be to add an alt to the a tags.
For example 11.07.05 Alone In The Dark (2005...
Is now incomplete, but with an alt text you can see the complete text with an hover.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:52 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Vae Victis,
/me slaps forehead...

Yeah, good idea :)

Quote:
Well can not read a damn word on the front page now unless I highlight all the text, is it just me?

Its the same css file as always if that's what you mean, the font size for the content is slightly smaller than on the forums, however my eye sight isn't good but i don't have a problem reading it that much.

@ 1600x1200 so its smaller than at lower res'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:09 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Vae Victis wrote:
Maby a small touch would be to add an alt to the a tags.
For example 11.07.05 Alone In The Dark (2005...
Is now incomplete, but with an alt text you can see the complete text with an hover.

Okay done, sorry ... i completely forgot about accessability features, i'll go through all the links and add similar notes and descriptions for all the links...

oopsie-doodle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:12 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I just thought of this.
A doesn't have an alt attribute, but it does have a title.

My bad :oops:

[edit]
Luckily you didn't make that mistake :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:14 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Vae Victis wrote:
[edit]
Luckily you didn't make that mistake :beerchug:

lol, yes i did, force of habit from alting images :lol: Remembered after doing it wrong though :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:01 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
sparhawk wrote:

Can you elaborate on which text, when, page, etc. and I'll see if i can sort it out for you :)

Eyes are a funny thing, I wonder if its the white/black of the quotes that's doing it, I remember reading about that can cause a distraction, I'll gray the text a bit, and increase the fontsize by a point for those center blocks :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:20 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
spudthedestroyer wrote:
sparhawk wrote:

Can you elaborate on which text, when, page, etc. and I'll see if i can sort it out for you :)

Eyes are a funny thing, I wonder if its the white/black of the quotes that's doing it, I remember reading about that can cause a distraction, I'll gray the text a bit, and increase the fontsize by a point for those center blocks :)

On my work pc it is fine, nice and neat and tidy - at home on a better pc, same resolution it does not appear correctly.

The left hand side sidebars are all in blue text, the main middle sections are illegible, the quote box does not appear, only a c: above it.

Tried my second monitor as well at home and still looks the same - must be some set up on pc at home - cleared cache and still the same - sorry dude only HHAH looks like that so far :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
great work, spud! very handy layout.
is it possible to have the tables aligned to have the same height? (see red circle):

then again, when there's more than one line e.g. in the News list i'd align the text (if possible) from this:
to this:

but all this only because they call me mr.perfect
cheers! :beerchug:

EDIT: :oops: i just re-read the post about refreshing the page with the new css and the situation changed in better (differences are not so noticeable as in the screenshots).
"GTA: SA..." is on one line now. "Candyman 3:..." still goes on 2 lines tho..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:43 pm  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Personally I like the new layout very much. Looks really clean and sorted out. Like the movie catalogue thingy too (the forum links will finally be more well spread, now they usually die out in about a month). Nothing freaky so far, though my display isn't the best in the world (1152x864 on 17" Iiyama Visionmaster).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:59 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
tweye, its down to the wrong css file and your res, hopefully i've fixed it on the froums now... I dumped that box, moved the options to the bottom of the top table and added so that will wrap :lol:

Union.Simon.616, wow, iiyama are actually the best monitor makers in the world :lol:

You've just got a better display than most people.
I got a DELL 2001FP, so everything looks brilliantly clear... but that's TFTs advantage over CRTs...

I will find a CRT and install opera, haven't tested in that browser yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
cool! now it's purrrfect.
i vote for this one layout :)
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:25 pm  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
LOL, I think I actually liked the options in the box at the side better, but maybe I was already getting used to it :wink:

Spud, yeah, I know about Iiyama, I'm actually very happy with my HM703UTA 20kg piece of hardware (did quite a lot of research before buying it almost 3 years ago), even more since I found out that Iiyama cancelled them, but they still IMHO beat the shit out of the newer models (and far as I can tell it's a perfect picture on a natural flat) - kind of like Radeon 9500 compared to higher numbered. I meant basically that a)I'm still only on CRT b)it's still only 17" c)I'm using only 1152x864, as opposed to 1600x1200, as you mentioned (I like that res best, it's not too much, not too little and allows me for ~100MHz refresh rate) - so it's not the best of settings, but still no funny stuff.

btw just remembered, I got a similar situation to sparhawk once, a site looked perfect on IE and Opera, but Netscape for some reason (still don't know why, the html used back then should work for all of them and was as simple as they get) made all the font black (and indistinguishable on the black background). It might be a browser thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:27 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Perfect. I much prefer the options moved to the bottom of the top tab;e :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:30 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
bare with the errors, its me frantically uploading news.php since it seems to be missing an article in the header :lol: