Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:46 pm  Post subject: 300GB disc set to challenge DVD

Site Admin
Quote:
A computer disc about the size of a DVD that can hold 60 times more data will go on sale in 2006, according to its American developer InPhase Technologies, a Lucent spin off.

The discs, holding 300GB each, use so-called Tapestry holographic memory technology to store data by interference of light. They are also able to read and write data at 10 times the speed of a normal DVD.

InPhase Technologies has formed an alliance with Hitachi/Maxell to market and sell the discs. The first public demonstration was held at the International Broadcast Equipment Exhibition last week in Tokyo.

Tapestry can store more than 26 hours of broadcast-quality high-definition video on a single 300GB disk, recorded at a data rate of 160Mbps. The discs are 13cm in diameter and a little wider and thicker than conventional DVDs.

Normal DVDs record data by measuring microscopic ridges on the surface of a spinning disc. Two competing successors to the DVD format - Blu-ray and HD-DVD - use the same technique, but exploit shorter wavelengths of light to cram more information onto the surface.

The Tapestry system uses light from a single laser split into two beams: the signal beam and the reference beam. The hologram is formed where these two beams intersect in the recording medium.

The process for encoding data onto the signal beam is accomplished by a device called a spatial light modulator, which translates the electronic data of 0s and 1s into an optical 'checkerboard' pattern of light and dark pixels. The data is arranged in an array or 'page' of around a million bits.

At the point of intersection of the reference beam and the signal beam, the hologram is recorded in the light sensitive storage medium. A chemical reaction occurs in the medium when the bright elements of the signal beam intersect the reference beam, causing the hologram.

By varying the reference beam angle, wavelength or media position many different holograms can be recorded in the same volume of material.

Just imagine getting a CRC at the end of that bugger :lol:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21467 ... llenge-dvd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:47 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
as long as 1 disk doesn't cost as much as a 300gig hd,I'm in :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:45 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
antropomorphic personific wrote:
as long as 1 disk doesn't cost as much as a 300gig hd,I'm in :P

I would not care if the reliability is ok. Currently I have all my stuff on a couple of hds and dvds. I trust neither of them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:52 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
i'm in the same boat, all my stuff is backed up on midgets, and since they got their own union I trust none of them either. :)

300GB would be a pretty steep price i'd imagine when it hits consumer level, i'd be well pissed to have a CRC at such a price.

Of course if the discs cost 29p, i wouldn't be so fussy :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:19 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
The target price is said to be 100+ bucks per disk and the drive itself will be around 10000+
This is far more than affordable. When Inphase first announced this technology it was claiming that 30GB holographic cards would be around less than a dollar. I was very glad to hear that but now by getting in alliance with Hitachi/Maxell we can forget it. It seems there is a long time to wait until this technology can be used in homes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:13 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
DVD cost a hell of a lot on release remember, it took a couple of years before the price leveled out and players came down to ~?300, and years still until they dropped below ?100, and Blue Ray cost several thousand pounds for a player atm and that's basically dvd with a better laser in it.

You can't get a price until its actually been implemented and produced, i don't think it will stay that price when its been mass produced, although judging by the technical bits of guff i've heard, the burners probably will cost a pretty packet for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:05 pm  Post subject: Re: 300GB disc set to challenge DVD

Site Admin
Three years later...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/26 ... aphic_may/

Quote:
Holographic storage developer InPhase Technologies has said it will announce its Tapestry hologram storage product in May. A version of the product was demonstrated at the NAB2008 show in Las Vegas earlier this month.

The bare facts are these: Tapestry consists of 120mm (5.25-inch) diameter clear plastic disks in a cartridge case. Holographic images are stored in the depth of the recording medium on the disk's surface using a blue laser.

The first disks are said to have a 50-year life and will perform reads and writes at 20MB/sec in a Tapestry drive which appears to be priced at $18,000. The disks will cost $180 each in volume and store up to 300GB.

"Subsequent generations of WORM devices will increase capacity to 800GB and transfer rate to 80MB/sec and then to 1.6TB and 120MB/sec," InPhase says on its web site.

It has taken 8 years for InPhase to develop its products with virtually all the functions of the technology requiring custom development. In this respect, InPhase has similarities with Plasmon, which has also developed its blue-violet laser UDO optical disks on its own.

A quick set of comparisons and contrasts looks like this:

LTO3 is four times faster than Tapestry and holds 100GB more but tape is not guaranteed to hold data for 50 years and needs its contents re-written to fresh media every so often. It is also not a random access medium, somewhat negating its faster I/O.

Blu-ray optical disks hold 25GB or 50GB and so have an immediate capacity disadvantage. They are, of course, cheaper but they are not promoted as having a 50-year life. That may change.

Plasmon's UDO has a capacity disadvantage, holding 60GB in its generation 2 version with UDO-3 set at 120GB and UDO-4 at 240GB on the roadmap. It does have a 50-year life but UDO-2 has a slower 12MB/sec I/O rate. UDO is also in use and not a version 1 product.

It would seem that InPhase will have the high-capacity, 50-year archive store market pretty much to itself for a few years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:22 am  Post subject: Re: 300GB disc set to challenge DVD

The Devil, Probably
This is going to be way too expensive for consumers. It doubt that it is going to become spread in the next 5 years.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:15 pm  Post subject: Re: 300GB disc set to challenge DVD

Site Admin
You had DVD writers for $18,000 remember, back when they launched.