Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:38 pm  Post subject: Older model HDTV owners get a banana shoved up their rear !

Demon Of The Abyss
The bullet has been fired !
Now let's see who's yelling AAA@@2arghHHH !!1

Quote:
Next-Gen DVD Copy-Protection Debacle
Hollywood screws 3 million HDTV owners, sucks in general.
by Gerry Block

February 24, 2006 - In perhaps the greatest disservice to the general consumer market yet perpetrated by players in the electronic entertainment industry, it has been revealed that next-generation DVD technologies (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) will only function with monitors and HDTVs with HDMI or DVI connections.

What does that mean to you? If you purchased an HDTV more than a couple of years ago, chances are you are using Component Video (the red, green, and blue plugs) to connect HD sources to your TV. Component Video is an analog transmission, which means that it can't work with the absurdly stringent AACS copy-protection Hollywood has insisted be integrated into the new formats. Thus, no HDMI input on your TV, no hi-def DVD for you. If you don't have a compatible TV, you'll either receive a massively downgraded sub-720p resolution version of the content, or what the studios are suggesting, a warning screen followed by nothing.

Who's to blame for screwing some 3,000,000+ HDTV owners in America that were good consumers and early adopters who purchased TVs without HDMI? A group put together by the major movie studios called Advanced Access Content System (AACS). AACS was responsible for the Reuters report last week that speculated that Sony would miss its spring launch date for the PS3, due to the fact that the AACS had still not finalized the technicalities of the protocol. After a good six months of deliberation since version AACS v.0.9 was put into testing, and only 2 or 3 months away from the supposed release of the first HD-DVD and Blu-ray players, AACS has finally made the baby step of offering provisional licensing to the likes of Sony, Toshiba, and the other early manufactures of hi-def DVD solutions.

Even if you've got an HDTV with HDMI or DVI inputs, it's unlikely your TV has more than one. Just about every HD source these days is best in HDMI, so what are you going to do when both your cable box and next-gen DVD player/PS3 need the same plug? HDMI switchers or enabled receivers are not cheap, or even easy to find. In addition, it would appear that every component involved in the transmission of an HD-DVD/Blu-ray signal must make use of Intel's HDCP technology. This extra level of protection works with the AACS protocols on a hardware level.

Why is this bad? Say you decided to be future proof and purchase a high-end AV receiver with HDMI connections and up-scaling capabilities. Seemed like a good idea last week, but not anymore. Unless it supports HDCP, and it doesn't, because no manufacturers have made HDCP models yet, you won't be routing your HD-DVD or Blu-ray player through it.

Perhaps you're a progressive type and decided to make your media center PC centric. You're screwed too. Even if you purchased a high-end ATI or Nvidia graphics card advertised as HDCP compatible, that all it is: compatible, not compliant. HDCP chips must be bios flashed at the factory, and though these new "compatible" cards have space for a TI HDCP chip, none have them yet. In addition, every link in the chain must be HDCP ready, and only a very few PC monitors have adopted the standard. Get ready to buy both a new high-end graphics card and a new monitor if you want hi-def DVD for your PC.

It gets even worse. At the same time the AACS story came to light, it was discovered that the first wave of next-gen DVD players will not support the "managed copy" option that so many proponents of the new technologies have been hyping. Now that it is apparent Hollywood is willing to absolutely screw more than three million early-adopting consumers (who are probably also some of the best DVD-buyers) is it wrong to be skeptical that the "managed copy" features aren't quite going to be as fully-fledged as we all have hoped, if and when they actually appear? Expect massive downgrades in resolution to be the major movie studio's requirement for any content they allow to escape from the closed AACS-HDCP loop.
This is a dark day for the entire consumer electronics industry. Huge manufacturers like Sony and Toshiba have allowed Hollywood executives to punish consumers for the studios' inability to protect their own content in the wild. Despite the fact that the relationship between movie piracy and the floundering movie theater receipts of recent years has not been proven to be direct, Hollywood is applying an iron fist in their aim to control the next generation of the home-theater experience. You know those previews on DVDs that you can't skip through? That's only the beginning of the ways Hollywood wants to control your entertainment experience.

Consumers shouldn't take this lying down. The difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray quality and normal DVD isn't huge, especially in light of the rather nice results produced by up-scaling DVD players available today from Oppo, Sony, and others. Should we allow movie studios to force their biggest fans, the early adopters of HDTV and related accessories, to buy entirely new entertainment systems? Is the upgrade even worth it?

Next-gen DVD is looking pretty questionable at this point. Not only do we have a format war to deal with, we've got Hollywood's accounting departments in charge of deciding the minutia of how we're able to enjoy the content we pay for. No copy protection scheme yet developed has been able to stand up to the genius of the hacking collective, and it's unlikely that even AACS and HDCP will last for long. Just long enough, perhaps, to strangle what remains of the traditional disc-based content distribution model and open the door for ubiquitous digital content and on-demand distribution.

Peh ! I was gonna buy one of those last year.... decided to wait another year... :lol:
I have yet to see a model with more than 1 HDMI port :o !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:15 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
yup i remember reading an article about this a while back (btw where's the source url? ;) ).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:09 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
yup i remember reading an article about this a while back (btw where's the source url? ;) ).

IGN Gear section

...and some not-so happy feedback

...so who already has a so called HDTV or HD-ready ?
Or is planning , like me , getting one before years end ?

I really am looking around right now...but after reding this.... :wacky:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:09 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
there aint even hdtv channels over here, but its been in and out of all the tech news for a while now this little article, the problem is the standards don't seem to be done on paper yet imo, so hdtv is just being used as a gimmick rather than a technical standard seal. Pretty much one of those "designed for Microsoft Windows XP" stickers you see on pcs, erm and how is that exactly? :lol:

HDTV was the perfect opportunity to ditch ntsc, and they've blown it by being backwards compatible... i mean backwards compatible and HDTV seems a tad retarded to me. Should have it so if you don't have a compatible tv it shouldn't compromise to the crappy tv system to get it to display.

We could have had 24fps and correct colours, but noooooooo lets stick with ntsc and pal :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:04 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I got a HDMI CRT 32" 1080i widescreen not long ago (also has component inputs, or y pr pb)... planning for the future. HDMI devices are slowly becoming widely available: DVD players, receivers, etc. I'll tell you though... even with standard analog sources through composite cables or coax the picture is superior... just better tv's altogether. I wouldn't hesitate recommending them. The whole compatability thing though is a little unsettling with HDDVD's. Time will tell. My Xbox 360 looks pretty sweet through component inputs @1080i, ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:13 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Erm, let me think what I can say about this problem...I got it: Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa. They deserved it. The first time I heard about HDMI I heard about DRM possibilities this junk allows. And I knew: Don't buy. I like it that the money-having no early brain adopters are punished now. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:14 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I've just got a 42 inch HD plasma.

Thankfully I researched my purchase very well: it has component, HDMI and DVI. 8)

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:01 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
jeez, who would've thought i'd actually be happy to live in a country where most people have never heard of HDTV, let alone have it.