Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:19 pm  Post subject: H.264, what's the deal

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
On my other computer I once installed Videosoft's H.264 codec. I can play most of the new HDTV movies that I download well.
GSpot doesn't understand much of the file but it says the codec is installed.

If I install the same codec on my current computer I can't play the H.264 HDTV movies. Anyone familiar with this codec or format?

I need some help :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:42 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
its incompatible with standalones, its good at lower bitrates, but imo its not as good as xvid and blurs the picture on highbirates

x264:
http://x264.nl/
http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:36 pm  Post subject:

I tried those.
I tried most H.264 codes (legal or illegal :D )
also X.264

Gspot claims the headers are broken. The runningtime and bitrate are unknown.
Size is unknown.
And still on my old computer it runs fine using videosofts codec and on my computer I tried any H or X.264 codec and it wont play.

DARN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:26 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Can gspot render the file and show what is being used on each computer?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:50 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
it's mainly used in the anime scene atm;personally I got a few dvdrips done in h264 & the quality is stunning.if you install the Matroska codecs (or matraska pack)it should work fine.also VLC opens h264 without any problems.there's also CCCP (a filterpack mainly used in the animescene) this will also make it work.as for gspot...it seems to me that gspot doesn't like matroska

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:03 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Yeah KAA really makes some astounding quality anime encodes with the stuff...

http://www.kickassanime.org/phpBB2/

:beerchug: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:00 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
antropomorphic personific wrote:
it's mainly used in the anime scene atm;personally I got a few dvdrips done in h264 & the quality is stunning.if you install the Matroska codecs (or matraska pack)it should work fine.also VLC opens h264 without any problems.there's also CCCP (a filterpack mainly used in the animescene) this will also make it work.as for gspot...it seems to me that gspot doesn't like matroska

only when you artificially undercap your rips bandwidth. Its brilliant at lower bitrates, but when your bitrate is over 1500 and you do a direct comparison with Xvid, Xvid kicks its ass. Whilst xvid you can really get sharp results and keep all the film grain, x264 blurs the picture.

But with anime and low bitrate rips it just wins out :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:09 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Damm crap crashes my (somewhat old) machine every time I try to FFWD it :matrix:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
spudthedestroyer wrote:

But with anime and low bitrate rips it just wins out :)

indeed,it rules for anything that is drawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:16 pm  Post subject:

I got one that gspot claims to be working bit it wont
Gives me a black screen.

I also got Elecard. It works fine, but other movieclips dont have sound anymore.

Anyone got any other codecs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:18 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
you want a pack??or a codec?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:58 pm  Post subject:

antropomorphic personific wrote:
you want a pack??or a codec?

I uninstalled all the x.264 and h.264 codecs and reinstalled the newest ffdshow that I already had.... now it seem to work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:08 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
yep,that's all you need :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:38 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
yeah for playback, if your planning on encoding though you'll need to secure the latest build of whichever codec you choose. Complies with the MPEG4 standard for most parts so ffdshow should be able to keep on top of it as long as you have a powerful enough pc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:39 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
You're completely wrong about x264 codeocs, spud. It's MUCH better than XviD and will eventually replace it once and for all. Now the only thing that's holding it back are the stand-alone incompability and slow encoding times. This codec didn't win the latest Doom9 codec test for nothing.

As usual the resizing filter is the reason why the image is blurred. You can get blurry results with Neutral Bicubic (I'm not even gonna mention some other filters) resizing with XviD. All the x264 encodes I've seen have been better quality than XviD with the same filesize when properly done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:01 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
I don't think you can make the wrong claim. The blurring is intentional and a product of countering xvid style artifacts I belive. That's the whole means of x264 achieving superiority at lower bitrates, as is my understanding, whilst XviD goes for blocking when its heavily compressing, x264 blurs together blocks to make the picture look good. At higher bitrate, where blocking doesn't occur as much, there's really slight/no blocking with xvid, but x264 blurs loosing film grain and detail. That is why its great, its very scalable and capable under all conditions, but it does blur, that's how it can achieve this. RV10 is another blurrer, only that codec is shite since it does it way more than x264. Its the same debate though, blocking vs blurring.

Its a great codec, but the advantages only become "revolutionarily" evident at lower bitrate and if your a fan of preserving film grain and detail you'll see blurring as an annoyance at very high bitrates.

That's not to say it isn't great looking at very high bitrates, it just means you've got to oversharpen to compensate imo and that means it doesn't match the original. I prefer details and grain on my picture, gives it a more filmy look.

Its a trade off to whether you prefer sharpness or blurriness but its a fact that x264 blurs, that's how it works. Here's a neat rundown i found in the first few hits of google, i can't be arsed looking for a whitepaper on the difference between the codecs. I'll leave that for you to do if you so wish.

Quote:
In the 400kbps version, XviD produces rather extreme blocking, to such an extent that I don't consider it watchable. x264 also shows signs of blocks yet it blurs them amicably, making the clip watchable. At 1000kbps, XviD produces a relatively crisp image with still a substantial quantity of artifacts, the crispness also comes at the cost of the artifacty edges of sharp lines and rapid movement. x264 produces an overall smooth and a bit blurred outcome, blending together fields with similar colors to such an extent that it's hard to point to a single, clearly visible artifact - obviously at the cost of detail in the midst of such fields.

At 3000kbps, the same trend continues - XviD is pretty crisp and produces slight artifacts around fast moving areas and sharp edges. x264 keeps smearing a bit, producing overall a more pleasant outcome for my taste. There's hardly any noticeable difference with 5000kbps.

Turning off the deblocking filter stops the blurring effect with x264 - at the cost of substantial, big artifacts in the 1000kbps version. Still, I prefer that to XviD's small artifacts all over the place.

Here the author picks X264 all the time like you do. Some people prefer blurriness, its not true to claim it doesn't though and that's the whole XviD vs x264 fight really.

Please don't take this observation as knocking the codec as unusable, I'm just calling it how i see the results and how the codecs work.

Kicking its ass might have been a tad too much admittedly, that's just how i write stuff to save me having to explain myself :lol: , so that can be reworded as "a sharper and compatible, less resource intensive result", so if your on the fence about the improvements with 1/3rd DVD rips the compatibility thing tips it to xvid in my book, or something :wacky:

So my ultimate final thoughts, its not yet ready for ripping and releasing in that format given the demands, and at higher bitrates there's really not that much difference at all, its blurring versus blocking. Because its so much better at lower bitrates, that's why it will replace xvid in several years... perhaps. Its adoption now is rather pre-emptive for my tastes, i would have to fire up a pc to appreciate it atm and that's rather inconvient.