Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:46 am  Post subject: LG Cancels hybrid blu-ray / hd-dvd player

Site Admin
Quote:
It looks like LG Electronics has decided against building a hybrid HD-DVD / Blu-ray player as announced earlier this year. Instead the company will make a Blu-ray only player.

LG Electronics, the one-time DVD peace-maker, has scuttled plans for a combination Blu-ray/HD-DVD player that was planned for launch this fall. According to Bob Perry, VP of sales and channel marketing who outlined product plans at the company's 2006 Summer Line Show this week in New York, LG remains part of the Blu-ray camp and will make a product announcement later in the year.

Kind of a bummer since most people are going to wait until one standard kills the other or the two camps kiss and make up before deciding which way to go. A hybrid player could have benefited early adopters.

http://consumer.hardocp.com/news.html?n ... VtZXIsLCwx

Seems odd, does anyone have any intention of buying either? I can say that I really have no desire to buy into either technology. At least until one dies, maybe not ever if something better comes along that fixes the problems both formats have.

I know i say it a lot, but imo the whole HDTV divisions thing is f*cked. There's no such thing as hdtv as a standard, what is it? 720p, 1080i, 1080p... in pal? in ntstc? They missed such a golden opportunity.

What we need is a completely new video format, dump pal and ntsc and make a new disc format, call it ultra-spud (uspud :) ), 24fps, proper colour spacing, no f*cking teleciding or interlacing shit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:19 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I've been thinking about building a home theatre PC for all HD stuff.

The ability to play HDDVD's would be nice but no big deal. There's always alt.binaries.hdtv. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:51 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
For the time being I'm not not interested in HD-DVD/BR. I'll wait until the smoke has cleared after the battle and we know for sure who's gonna end up on top. Provided we won't have two formts as we have with DVD. In that case I'll wait until there are affordable multinorm burners and blank media at a reasonable price.

And you're damn right about HDTV. Losing the two different formats and switching entirely to progrssive video would have been a good thing. Guess we'll still have to deal with deinterlacing with all it's annoyances. :(