Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:58 pm  Post subject: Ripping Q

The Devil, Probably
so as not to go off topic in another thread i have a q about large filesize rips,
my gknot default W-modul is 32 ans H-modul is 16 giving me max 704x528 if i'm lucky without sending the W-zoom into the red.
a lot of the afs rips have res of 720x384 is this acheived by altering the H and W moduls if so are there standard setting for 16.9 and 4.3

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
32x divisible is only needed for really, really shitty hardware. We are talking old, old school I just have both divisible by 16x if need be. Absolutely no zoom.

Anamorphic DVDs let you get 720x because they are rarely bordered left and right, but its all down to matting and original AR there's lots of instances you can get 720 without zooming. But with anamorphic, its probably going to be 720x400 for 1.83 i think (you need to uncheck ITU-R on the settings or whatever its called tab)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:07 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I use whichever W/H gives me results I want. Usually 16x on each sometimes down to 4 (H).

If its non-anamorphic and you have to crop the sides, then 720w is too much. If you cut 8 from each side (total 16), then 704w is right without zoom. Height is always subjective, so I get the horizontal correct first, then use the a/r readings to guage the proper height.

I know some (many) might disagree, but If you have trouble with AR, sometimes leaving a small ugly black bar on top or bottom fixes it to display correctly. For example you cropped the black off of the top bottom, but are getting a 0.1% error, leave some black and it might go to 0.0%. Thats only for 32x divisible resolution, for compatibility.

Since I have abandoned caring about shitty standalones, I haven't had to do that. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:47 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
GrindCallus wrote:
If its non-anamorphic and you have to crop the sides, then 720w is too much. If you cut 8 from each side (total 16), then 704w is right without zoom. Height is always subjective, so I get the horizontal correct first, then use the a/r readings to guage the proper height.

Bingo, it heavily depends on how the DVD is mastered. If you need to crop to the point where 720 is zooming, chances are that not much effort was put into making the DVD.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Mod16 (16x for both W- and H-moduls) should be used throughout to ensure stand-alone compability.

Some shittier players on Windows and OS X cannot handle mod4 or even mod8 rips and, as I said, they're a constant headache with stand-alone MPEG4 players.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:51 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
really, what players? Not that i ever go below 16x anyway, but i have some rips that do and they play fine in everything from powerdvd to windows media player to zoomplayer to mpc. Your not talking about windows 3.1 software are you? :lol:

As for standalone owners, i don't think there's anything that someone can't play, the xbox doesn't have problems with other lower mod resolutions ;)