Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:32 am  Post subject: Networking through mains power circuit.

The Devil, Probably
I've always been dubious about this technology, something just doesn't sit right about the ability to send 240V of mains power and data along the same cables. :lol:

Anyway, I had a wireless game adaptor behind the TV, linked to my xbox and xbox 360 for connecting to live and for streaming video from my PC. My wireless router is a cheap crappy one, and pretty much every time I want to connect I need to reboot the router then reboot the adaptor to get them to connect up (this is the fault of the router - Sweex - rather than the Netgear adaptor, never had a problem anywhere else with two netgear products connecting wirelessly). Anyway, it was getting to be a pain in the arse.

So, after a recommendation, I decided to purchase a pair of Homeplugs, thinking there's always eBay if they turn out to be crap.

About 60 seconds to install the things (one in the power socket by the router, one in the power socket by the consoles), and I now have a permanent wired connection to the router - through my mains power circuit. Xbox live is fine, and streaming video from the PC through Xbox Media Centre is also no problem.

Hooray for Homeplugs, I guess. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:35 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
neat, but what's the connection like? can you access the net from your neighbours house? :lol:
I see there's a faster turbo model too, what about collisions?

I might buy some but i'm wondering about a number of issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:53 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
neat, but what's the connection like? can you access the net from your neighbours house? :lol:

You know, that might not be a daft question. Although were on different circuits house-wise, we are on the same grid. You get software with the plugs though, which allows you to password protect each one if you require.

Quote:
I see there's a faster turbo model too, what about collisions?

I haven't used it in my car yet. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
smart ass :moon:

I mean what's the quality of the network, is there a lot of collisions/drop packets due to the inability to transmit and receive at the same time (iirc)? You say you stream across the network? Can you copy a large set of data between two pcs and also stream a hdtv / advanced file size rip to your xbox and tell me if it plays without dropping frames?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:35 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Can you copy a large set of data between two pcs and also stream a hdtv / advanced file size rip to your xbox and tell me if it plays without dropping frames?

I thought HD rips couldn't stream to an xbox due to it being too slow? :? That's what PC_A told me anyway. :lol: EDIT: Maybe he said they couldn't be played off DVD on the xbox.

I don't normally have loads going on, on my network TBH, the most that would be happening is a movie being streamed from the PC which is running emule/BT at the same time. I'll let you know how I get on though, I guess I could connect my laptop and copy some files around while watching a movie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:39 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
:lol: 720p is ok (just) 1080i is a no go on the xbox :(

More to do with lack of processing power on the xbox than anything else

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:19 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
i meant something like the shining rip which is above SD, or a waf or something that's a bit more demanding on the network. I didn't mean a full 720p or a 1080i, just something that's big. If you could just get something like that playing and copy some vobs or something across your network at the same time, that would be cool. I just don't know what the capabilities of power line bandwidth is.

I'm very interested in this, but I have quite heavy network demands.