Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:17 am  Post subject: Epayments - Electronic Payment Methods

Site Admin
I was wondering what people believe is the best, cheapest, most secure and most convienant methods of electronic payments are. I realise that the reality is that there's not going to be a method that has them all.

Personally, as far as eMoney goes, or making transcations like for ebay or donations PayPal has proven by FAR to be the best method. Its not perfect, not by a long way, but it is substantially better than the other methods i've tried. This is just based on the ease, support and security it offers in making transactions. Its more professional and I've had far less problems using it than other services.

I know some people who won't use paypal and its something I've heard a few times from different people. They obviously seem to have legitimate greviences, but I've never had any negative experience with them personally (beyond them locking the account until i emailed them once, then they opened it again) and the scamming on paypal seems far lower than other methods. The quality of service went up drastically after the ebay acquisition as far as i'm aware, thoough there's still problems. I've noticed it might have to do with what people are selling and the volume of sales they do though.

It seems there's still a place for a perfect electronic funds transfer method.

eGold
Pros: highly anonymous
Cons: Getting money into it is a real bitch you need a company to convert to egold for you, not widely supported and phrising problems. needs a better infrastructure.

PayPal
Pros: Widely used, quick, secure transactions
Cons: Fees, Terms & Condictions pose problems and overbearing enforcement.

Western Union
Pros: I really can't find any
Cons: Difficult to send/get money through it, Rife with scamming, poorly supported.

One thing seems very clear pretty much all have reports of scamming, phrising, etc. There's usually a colleration between lack of legitimacy and lack of information and rules. I've found you can usually judge the quality of any service based upon not necessarily the snazzy look of a site, but a decent design of a site with lots of information. There's a whole host of payment scams and all of them have terrible sites and you can find out the reality of the service being shite by just reading inbetween the lines and what they don't say (which you can confirm via a google search usually).

Anyone know of other services, or have a webhost with a checkout and can recommend a service? I'd be interested in knowing (that's kind of different to Electronic Payment methods)
Anyone had any bad experiences with a payment method? and doing what?