Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:55 am  Post subject: How long does it take you to rip?

Dead But Dreaming
I am using ImTOO DVD ripper and it takes me about 1hr to rip a dvd in AVI. Does it take anyone alot longer to rip or does any rip dvds alot faster? If you rip a dvd alot faster than 1 hour what program are you using?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:33 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I'm using GKnot on a 2.6 Ghz rig (which I'm now updating to an Amd X2) but it usually takes me much longer than just an hour. The longest was something like 40 hours for a 90 minute movie. Of course I used a lot of filters on that particular rip.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:33 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
On my pc a 3.2 HT pentium and 2G ram.
Without filters each pass is `near` realtime, 2 passes and 2 hour movie is about 4 and a half hour (including ripping dvd2hd and creating a project file for GKnot and setting up GKnot with appropiate settings.)

Above is imo the minimum todo when you want best quality in least abount of time.

Sometimes you need to use filters like sharpening, adding filters always slows down the encoding time. (in my case the first pass increases more than the second pass). It depends on the filter howmuch longer it takes.

To test if I need filters I mostly try to encode small parts of the movie in virtual dub and look at the results.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:09 pm  Post subject: Re: How long does it take you to rip?

Site Admin
tenorbass wrote:
I am using ImTOO DVD ripper and it takes me about 1hr to rip a dvd in AVI. Does it take anyone alot longer to rip or does any rip dvds alot faster? If you rip a dvd alot faster than 1 hour what program are you using?

Thanks

It sounds like ImTOO DVD is a very poor program if you ask me. I've never used it, but if it takes a mere hour is probably doing a really shit job. :(
Its like the difference between transcoding and encoding.
That is unless you have a dual core, dual cpu workstation or something rediculously powerful.

Consider switching from what i assume to be a one-click encoder to an encoding program you can vouch for. I too use gknot, it takes about 3hrs for a very simple, no filtering encode, 8hrs for HDTV with very little filtering, and can take ~6hrs+ for rips i use filtering on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
Some rips I have done have gone into 'spf' (Seconds per frame), rather than fps. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:58 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
lmao! :lol:

Yeah, i accidently did a 24hr encode by pasting all the filters from a text file instead of just the one I needed :oops:

My encoding machine is only a Athlon XP 2400+ w/ 1GB RAM. Its also my emule, torrent and newsgroups machine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:31 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Thanks for the answers. I was using #1 DVD ripper for a while and it would take about 4hrs to rip a dvd. I thought that was a little to long so I switched to ImToo. The size of the files would be the same but #1 has alot better picture. Looks like I will switch back. I have also noticed that my computer is preety damm loud when I rip dvds. Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:54 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
loud? What kind of loud? Fan noise? HDD noise?
If its your fan, and you've got a fan that adjusts its speed automatically (Cool'n'Quiet for example), then that makes sense. Encoding is a intensive process and the heat of your machine goes up.

If its your hdd, then its an indication that hdd failure is imminent or its very old and needs replacing. Noisey hdds are not a good thing.

My pc is no louder when its encoding than when its not encoding, but i made it up myself and didn't skimp on any components. Its a fairly newish SATA hdd it writes to and I've got a copper Zalman heatsink on my cpu with a quiet 120mm fan over the top of it. :)

As for your imToo, you sure its not doing a one pass? I would suggest once again, use gknot for dvdripping:
http://gknot.doom9.org

There's autogknot for newbies, and gknot which is more advanced if you know what your doing :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:44 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
I just ripped a DVD with #1 DVD Ripper and it looks preety nice, took about 40 mins to rip. The DVD was about 56mins long. :P The noise is from my fan, I have had to have the cunts at best buy put a new one in 2 times allready! Doesnt gknot rip in AVI? How big is a rip in AVI? #1 dvd ripper rips a 90mins DVD in AVI and it was about 750 MB.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:25 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
#1 dvd ripper rips a 90mins DVD in AVI and it was about 750 MB.

That's more damning evidence against this application, its not doing it right at all. It should never be a random filesize, of course you can get oversizing and undersizing when your codec is struggling, but it sounds like you have no control over what its doing.

Do no use that program.

Gknot rips to exactly the filesize you want (that's not to say it might not occasionally oversize/undersize, but you can adjust your codec settings to make it hit the target), whatever resolution you want and to apply whatever filters you want. Its entirely up to you. You can use xvid/x264/divx, and ac3, wav, mp3 or ogg audio, into AVI, OGM or MKV containers.

It is without a doubt the best application for re-encoding DVD to avi, its a frontend for pretty much standard applications, Nandub, VirtualDubMod, Besweet, etc.

Download it and ditch those lousy encoders your playing with ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:52 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Ok I will test this new program out. Lets hope its not to high tech for me :mrgreen: I like the file size that #1 gives me. So will Gknot still give me a DVD in AVI under a gig in file size and have better picture? Or will all DVD rips be over a gig? Space is a factor for me :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:49 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
You can specify in Gknot :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:55 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
GKnot, with some tweaking, will give you the best picture quality at any size you want. 700MB is the standard. I have done some great portables at 350MB.

You should try autoGK first, unless you plan to release.

Its Gordian Knot, but for n00bs ;) Works great and is easy for personal backups if you dont wanna mess around with advanced settings.

Plus this site has ALL the help you could need on either program.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:59 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Also, encoding time will escalate from 1hr (in app #1) to a more likely average of 3hrs+ depending on your rig, encoding config., etc. The extra time waiting can be a bummer but at least you know the machine is hard at work encoding properly (assuming you did your part properly - ie. configuration/settings) rather than just spitting out a quick job with shit results.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:29 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Just did a 9 hour encode. WHich is a little long for my rips, I guess some different filters added to it, probably woulda been 6 hours, but Msmooth is a beast.

The results were nice, but not great. A better source picture, like a new movie, won't need that much filtering, thus taking less time.

40 hours was insane Rogue :O Anybody else encode that long from a DVD source? Longest rip I made was probably about 12 hours, and that was filtering a very bad Troma DVD. I scrapped that rip, and made another from it in 9 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:57 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Longest time yet was ~ 4,5 hours. Not anywhere close to 9 or even freakin' 40 hours :o

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:11 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
GrindCallus wrote:
40 hours was insane Rogue :O Anybody else encode that long from a DVD source? Longest rip I made was probably about 12 hours, and that was filtering a very bad Troma DVD. I scrapped that rip, and made another from it in 9 hours.

That was when I ripped Return of the Living Dead 3 and tried to get rid of the grain. I used a function called HQ filter which gives you superb results cleaning up but in this case it screwed up the fog-scenes so I ended up re-encoding with degrainmedian.

HQ filter is great for really messed-up sources though. I'll use it on a couple of old VHS I'll be capturing soon. Hopefully the new rig will let me finish in less than 24 hours. :wacky:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:04 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
limitedsharpen will put at least +4hrs onto a movies encode time.

Quote:
HQ filter is great for really messed-up sources though

wouldn't that be the lq filter from the same filter set for messed up sources, hqfilter is for good sources with a tiny bit too much grain/noise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:13 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
usually takes me just under twice the time of the movie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:25 am  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
used to take 9 hours bout 2/3 years ago. not ripped anything since then