Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:52 am  Post subject: new external hard drive
Request Territory

Request Territory
:) hello,
just wanted to see if anyone can help me out i just got a new external hard drive its a maxtor basics personal storage 320GB external USB 2.0 hard drive here a link to the one i am talking about http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 3998433985 the reason i got it is so i can releases and share more movies on the edonkey network but now i noticed that this external hard drive has no cooling fan on it and other ones do now am worry that if i use this external hard drive to upload my movies and have it on 24/7 uploading its going to overheat and damage the hard drive becaues of this any advice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:03 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
if I were to buy an ex hd for the sole purpose of having it on 24/7, I'd at least get one with a built in fan (but that's just me :wink: )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:21 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
You should never use an external drive for permanent connection to a PC as the drive spins constantly while it is connected, vastly reducing its overall life.

They're great as a portable backup device, but for permanent storage you should have an internal drive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:37 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
imo don't bother with an external harddrive at all, especially not for permanant storage, their interfaces are usually crappy and often its an excuse for known manufacturers to offload shoddy drives in a case.

If you simply must have an external drive, you might as well go for an enclosure for an internal drive and if your doing this i'd go for something that's ethernet, not usb!

Personally, i think the best solution is a hotswap bay which uses the more reliable and faster internal interface. Providing you've got a decent enough onboard SATA controller you'll be able to swap out drives without rebooting.

If you want something so you can switch out the drive i use:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=40
(scroll down to my first post, the threads about filesize and storage)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:45 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Crap I don't have any more internal space, only 2 sata connections :(

So a hotswap bay would be a good option eh? How does that connect anyway? By the sata cable? :oops:

Im really lousy with hdd stuff :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:24 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
you put the bay in like any ide drive, which is connected like a hdd/cd is, you can get ATA, SATA, SCSI drive bays, its just screwing it in and then plugging it to your motherboard.

There's a problem with really old crappy motherboards not implementing the SATA standard properally so they don't support hotswap like they should. My old, old silicon image 3112a based motherboard is an example of this. This chipset doesn't allow drives to be removed and the knock on effect is that you don't get the option to set the drive up for quick removal, and it needs 'uninstalling'. This shouldn't be a problem in linux, where you can just stop a drive.

My nforce4 motherboard which is about a year old is fine and dandy though, it correctly supports hotswapping (that's just pulling it out).

Essentiallly all a hotswap bay is is a bridge between your sata cable and the hdd, just makes it easier to plug it in. There's just a leaver, you pull it and the hdd slides out. Putting it in you just push it in and it clicks in place. If your cheap you could just manually plug the sata directly into the drive and pull it out whilst your pc is running, sata is supposed to support that. You just need to tell windows not to write to the drive when you do it, but when the chipset isn't telling windows it can, then it still writes and caches :roll:

Unfortunately for you, although you can get PCI sata controllers (i have many), most are the same crappy 4 year old chipsets that don't support hotswap.

Short: old, old motherboards probably have mostly duff, poorly made controllers.
I think all the nforce SATA controllers are fine, silicon image as long as its not 3112a should be fine. Anything bought over the last year or so should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:56 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Thanks for the info, helpful for future buying :beerchug:

Need to check up the motherboard.

I'd like one of them 750gb or more HDD :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:45 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
eggs + 1 basket = very risky

Its hot swap, just get substantially cheaper, more reliable ones and switch them out when you need them. Keeping the drives out of your pc when not in use will prolong the lifespan indefinitely remember, 750gb on one drive, i dunno seems not very economical. not until prices drop next year anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:56 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
:lol: That's probably when I'll have some extra money anyways :eatthis: