Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:12 am  Post subject: How Do You Back Stuff Up?

Dead But Dreaming
Hey dudes. I would like to know how everyone stores their stuff.

Right now I burn all my movies on blank dvds using nero express. I can fit about 6-8 movies on a dvd :D. I then store my dvds in a 336 cd holder that I got for 50$ at bestbuy.

I also have a WD external HD for X files, Frank Zappa stuff and TV.

My internal has about 30 gigs of metal :twisted: :twisted:

POST IT! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I'm just in the process of moving all my movies from CD/DVD to HDD, each 320Gb drive holds ~470 movies, so I estimate needing ~15 or so drives.

It's a LONG and slow process, but already (after ~5 years) some of the earlier disks are staring to become unreadable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:09 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
HD...
Several TB of HD.

Don't burn to disk anymore, dvd's take too much space.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:59 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
:lol: Looks like more and more of us are moving that way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:18 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I'm still using DVD-R. I've had no problems so far, my older discs still read back perfectly. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:41 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
^Rogue^ wrote:
I'm still using DVD-R. I've had no problems so far, my older discs still read back perfectly. :)

How do you burn? Nero Express?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:15 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
^Rogue^ wrote:

X2 over here...

So far at least...

I don't buy Spud's scare-mongering.
Technically , yes HD's are more reliable I suppose, but if and when one of those fails , oh dear ; that's massive amounts of data loss.
If one of my dvd-r's bites it then the loss is kept to a minimum.

I would feel like ramming my head into my IIYAMA CRT if I lost 300+ gig of data just like that :o

Ah, you say ,"we'll talk again in 5 years time", or something.
Yes well, I do backup 3-5 year old stuff on a continious basis already.
OUT OF PRE-CAUTION. Not neccessity.

For , as far I can tell, all my 5(+) year old discs still work fine. And will so in another 5 if I just leave them were they are.

If your, say, 3-5 year old discs don't work anymore then you either went cheap on crappy media/burner or you didn't store them properly.

Roughly a third of all the media I burn gets ditched 3 years anyway, due to the material being obsolete in one way or another, so what I eventually backup does get trimmed down as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:21 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
tenorbass wrote:
^Rogue^ wrote:

:o :oops: :P

Surely just plain Nero ?

*waits for spud with a cheesy taunt*

Make sure you have "Verify data" ticked .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:41 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Nero Express is the only tool I know of in nero that burns data discs...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:36 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Geezus wrote:
If your, say, 3-5 year old discs don't work anymore then you either went cheap on crappy media/burner or you didn't store them properly.

Yep, mine certainly was / is cheap as fuck :cheers:

In fairness it's more convenient too, instead of having to find e.g disk number 2176 out of 5700 I would only have to find disk x of 15 or so (fewer if the bigger drives begin to come down in price) :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:54 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Backup? What for? I have four HDs in my Computer in a RAID 0 configuration. Something like this does not need backups. :lol: :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:57 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Ok, seriously. I burn everything on DVD and additionally store everything on naked PATA-HDs, which are connected via IDE2USB cables.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:22 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
tenorbass wrote:
^Rogue^ wrote:

Nero. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:47 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
DVDs here as well. I keep stuff on internal HDD then burn off after I've watched something or don't think I will in the near future. Everything else stays on HDD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:16 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I back them up to an external HDD, the ones that i really like i buy on DVD eventually and the ones that i don't like probably get deleted when the drive's filling up.

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:53 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
Don't burn to disk anymore, dvd's take too much space.

x2

As an ironic twist, I don't buy Geezus' scaremongering against hdd. Its not hard to find reliability tests for media, and i'm a little confused as to how an idle hard disk is meant to fail at a faster rate than the pretty rapid cd-r/dvd-r decay rate*? (magnetic vs crapnetic, there's a reason companies use tape :wacky:)

He'll be getting his butler backing them all up onto his PS3 before long anyway, no doubt :googley:

I'm still not believing many of the disks will be CRC free from the original batch if they are 3-4years+, unless he's invested masses of money on top of the range media.

There's nothing against DVD-r backups, as long as you buy expensive media and back them up every set number of years; lower your burn speed to most optimum and then verify after every burn then store them in tempature/humity controlled environments if you want to push them to 5+ years. I just value my time a heck of a lot more than to waste the time micromanaging, archiving (boy is it tedious adding movies from dvdrs to a movie archiver, so much so i stopped and am now 100DVDrs behind) and the physical space doing that. Just aint worth it for a fundamentally weaker backup policy imo.

As long as your not keeping your hdd in some retarded all day, every day spincycle (unless you've got redunancy of course), it will easily out last 5 years. I have loads that are knocking on 15years that i can still boot, although at that age you'd be silly to keep critical files on them.

The only cdr media from 6+ years ago that reads for me is verbatim (the others are extremely flakey, but the rips are so crap by todays standards i've replaced everything i've got on cdr anyway) :lol: My DVD-r backups are mostly a lot more recent, but doing a simple read test (use one of the nero tools) shows errors on hit and miss ratios. Maybe that was the pioneer 105 in exclusively screw-spud with short term media mode? Certainly doesn't sound likely through (read: it isn't just me)

There's nothing to stop you backing up the best stuff onto DVD-r too, i often do and i'm very often picking up and shoving them on discs for my friends. Since, you know, one of the other benefits is read/write management, so you can delete nukes when better versions are out, and move them around, and mass migrate to a newer location. There's nothing to stop you buying a new hdd in 3,4,5 years if your sceptical and then shifting your entire data to the newer media

etc. etc.

It goes on and on, i've yet to find any real criticism of the whole procedure that isn't, ironically, largely scaremongering. It costs slightly more, but then again, i'd think people value their time as much as (probably more than :lol: ) I do.

The concept of loosing an entire hdd of movies would be a pisser, but pure stupidity is a hell of a lot more likely than hdd failure. Lets assume that you aren't stupid, as long as you keep the hdd free from dust, excessive heat or strong magnetic/static sources then the fact its never used means its not just going to implode one day :lol: electronic faults come from heat or environments damage, heat is the one that's not so preventable since using something electrical always produces heat, which comes from use. Its not going to be constantly used however, just like your not going to constantly have a dvdr in your drive.

I back stuff up from my network drives that don't have redunancy in case you were wondering :)

So yeah, scaremongering i think is more at hdd as a medium because its now an affordable and effective storage medium (new to people) than against DVDr. Failure fears is largely pinned to hdds based largely upon questionable associations with actively/heavily used drives.

My 2cents, DVDr is fine, as long as you realise its not going to last forever, sometimes not over 2 or 3 years and you need to spend time organising and nannying the process. I'd advise simply to clearly think about other storage solutions' benefits, and think about efficiency, waste, life span and try and weed out overly subjective opinions from the useful info that relates to how you back up (tis the net after all).

Maybe look at your old DVDr collection with a analysis tool or simply copy files from the medium to your hdd and see if you get errors if you are sceptical of hdd?

@Nero / nero express,

Actually Record Now is often cited as a better burn engine. I have to admit, looking at some of the graphs for media i've done in Record Now has been better than nero. Just like Alcohol seems to handle images better than nero. Nero / Nero Express is the same thing, what evers you poison, but maybe look at some other applications? Popular isn't always the best for your burner :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:39 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
I'm knd'a old school collector. I got everything on a seperate hd but everything I really really like I burn to HP dvd-ram disks and make some nice semi-pro covers, lables and backs. If I don't buy the dvd that is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:57 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I usually back up to DVD+R and I have an external USB HD for the best stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:45 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
The other question : Do you keep everything you've downloaded?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:24 pm  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
PC_Arcade wrote:
The other question : Do you keep everything you've downloaded?

Nope.