Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:52 pm  Post subject: Live Anywhere - Vista Details

Site Admin
XBox Live for Vista - Details and Halo 2 info
http://megagames.com/news/html/pc/xboxl ... info.shtml

Quote:
Microsoft announced the extension of the Xbox LIVE games and entertainment network to the Windows platform, bringing together the most popular online console game service with the most popular games platform in the world. Debuting o0n May 8, 2007, with the launch of the Windows Vista version of the, originally, Xbox title Halo 2, Games for Windows — LIVE will connect Windows gamers to over six million gamers already in the Xbox LIVE community. Then, launching in June, Shadowrun will for the first time connect Windows gamers with Xbox 360 players in cross-platform matches using a single service. UNO, releasing later in 2007, will also support cross-platform play between Windows and Xbox 360.

The launch of Games for Windows — LIVE marks a major expansion of the Xbox LIVE service across multiple platforms, uniting gamers with a single identity, a single gamertag, a single friends list and a single list of achievements attainable on the Xbox 360 and a Windows-based PC. Games for Windows — LIVE gamers will be able to easily find and play supported titles online with their friends across a Windows computer or an Xbox 360. As a unified service with Xbox LIVE, Games for Windows — LIVE will be available in every country and region supported today by Xbox LIVE.

Members of Xbox LIVE automatically receive the functionality of Games for Windows — LIVE, using the same gamertag and friends list at no additional cost. For a single, unified service, the pricing of the LIVE services across both Xbox and Games for Windows is identical. In addition, Games for Windows — LIVE introduces the best of Xbox LIVE functionality to please PC gamers, such as in-game voice chat, integrated achievements and dedicated servers. The offering of both Silver and Gold memberships will remain in place for gamers on the Xbox 360 and Windows PC. There is no cost associated with signing up for a Silver membership. Gold memberships will deliver the premium online network experience for USD 49.95 (U.S.) per year. Current Xbox LIVE Gold members will automatically have access to Gold features on Games for Windows — LIVE titles.

Silver Membership Features
- Single gamertag
- Common gamer profile
- Common gamerscore
- Single player achievements
- Private chat via text and voice
- Common friends list and online presence
- PC only multiplayer including browsing a list of active PC games

Gold Membership Features
- All Silver membership features
- Multiplayer matchmaking with friends
- TrueSkill matchmaking
- Multiplayer achievements
- Cross-platform gameplay

These features of the LIVE services will enable gamers to communicate online and play supported games across both of Microsoft’s gaming platforms, bringing more players and their friends together to connect in new and exciting ways. The following games make up the first wave of titles to support the Games for Windows — LIVE service:

- Halo 2 for Windows Vista (Microsoft Game Studios). Release date: May 8, 2007. The highly anticipated title brings Master Chief to Windows Vista and is the first title to incorporate the new Games for Windows — LIVE service. Windows Vista gamers will be able to challenge each other in PC-to-PC multiplayer matches and earn achievements for the first time in the “Halo” franchise, as well as communicate via voice or text with other Xbox LIVE or Games for Windows — LIVE members. The visually enhanced classic includes an all-new Map Editor, which will allow for new content and greater game customization. Halo 2 will be playable with mouse and keyboard or the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

- Shadowrun (Microsoft Game Studios). Release date: June 2007. The intense first-person shooter will let gamers rewrite the rules of engagement as they vie for supremacy in an experience that rewards cleverness, cunning and split-second improvisation through a unique combination of modern weapons, ancient magic and advanced technology. The first title to connect both Windows Vista and Xbox 360 gamers in cross-platform competition will let up to 16 players battle online. Cross-platform play will require Gold level membership.

- UNO (Carbonated Games/Mattel Inc.). Release date: 2007. The classic party card game that’s a No. 1 hit on Xbox LIVE Arcade is also coming to Windows Vista and Games for Windows — LIVE. Gamers will be able to compete against three other players on the Xbox 360 or Windows Vista platforms to match colors and symbols and be the first to play every single card in this award-winning game. For gameplay today, UNO is currently available on MSN Games, Messenger Games and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

yuck, i really don't know what to say. Firstly, Halo 2? whoopie f*ckin doo, that game is shit and i'd be amazed if people would want it for the pc given how lowly it stands next to any PC FPS produced over the past 4 or 5 years.

Shadowrun is already getting a complete slating for being a poor PC FPS, sluggish and unresponsive because its ultimately a console game and undermines every vantage point the pc has. GamesForWindows have been ragging on it and have said they don't think its going to do well on windows because of it being, at heart, a console effort.

I can't tell you anything about uno, its so off the radar that i don't see why microsoft bothered to even make a comment about it.

Maybe i'm missing something, but this seems wholely inadequet, the only subscribers will be those subscribing on the xbox, I doubt any of this will encourage any pc owners to sign up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:05 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
How long will it be before Vista can be definitively declared a failure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:49 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
don't think it will to be honest, i have no desire to switch yet but its probable it will happen at some time.

Live anyway i expected to work on windows xp too, but then again i guess i should have known better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:09 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
spudthedestroyer wrote:
don't think it will to be honest, i have no desire to switch yet but its probable it will happen at some time.

Really? From what I've heard so far, it's a massive memory hog, the copyright protections stop a lot of programs from working, and the only reason most people have it is because they want Directx 10 or have bought new computers with Vista already installed on it. I honestly don't see a single benefit to updating, since I've heard most game companies will make games Directx 9 compatible so those who haven't upgraded yet can install their games.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:06 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
it's a massive memory hog

but the only platform that you'll get the perfromance out of when directX kicks in, there's the encryption layer and a whole host of interesting features. Okay, they are mostly buggy or linux has done them first, but i'm sick of dealing with linux for simple things atm.

DirectX10 is leaps and bounds above 9, that's reason enough. Its a big resource hog if you have video desktops and all sorts of crap though, yeah, but you can do what you do with xp and make it look like 2000 if its a concern.

directX9 compatible sure, if you play with the downgraded engines and will sacrifice physics and architectural improvements. DirectX9 will sitll be used since all the consoles are not powerful enough to run DirectX10, that's why i suspect. I suspect that you'll start seeing "do you want to install DirectX10a/b/c" on installers over the coming months, there will be directX10 emulation for XP where you take a big performance hit... i suspect that will be the more common option for a lot of games in teh future.

In all honesty, if i built a system with less than 2GB of ram now, i'd probably be making a budget pc.

Quote:
the copyright protections stop a lot of programs from working,

When there's a full crack for vista these are always meaningless.