Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:47 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
cool, quiet and stable after removing the ram, patching and installing the ram.

M$ :roll:

Just migrating data and i can decommision a server :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:04 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
mmm, bit of a bastard, the pump in my case died last night and obviously the PC shut down - BUT you can't just return the pump, the entire case has to be returned :(

Fuck that, I think i'll just buy another pump to be honest, although I'm gonna be offline for a while by the looks (although the emule / ftp machine is still up) :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:02 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
really? thanks for recommending the case then... you bastard! :lol:

Won't returning the case cost an astronomical amount of money? and them sending out a new pump cost pittance?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:14 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
really? thanks for recommending the case then... you bastard! :lol:

LMAO PCA is like a drug dealer :lol:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Won't returning the case cost an astronomical amount of money? and them sending out a new pump cost pittance?

It shouldnt do. My monitor has gone back under warranty & they arranged for it to be collected at no cost to me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:37 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
nintendo make you pay shipping to them if they have provided you with faulty hardware.... i guess they are just arseholes though :lol:

Mine pc has been great since i set it up; even vistas been fine. I'm not sure what all the hate is against it to be hoenst; its just as good and just as shit as XP so far. I imagine when i find a shit device that needs a driver I'll be annoyed, but it was pretty much the same with XP.

Parition magic not working was a ball ache though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Overclockers will pay the shipping, not sure I can be bothered though to be honest - I don't want to have to dismantle the PC then rebuild it again :(

Funny you should say that about vista, I'm using it pretty much exclusively now and it's fine :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:56 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Overclockers, uggh!

Theyre cheap but their aftersales is awful. I've built 3 PC's with parts from there as they werent very far from where I used to live & have had a few problems with them. I bought a pair of SLi gfx cards from them & 1 was faulty, they tested the pair & as they were out of stock they offered me a refund on the faulty one as they had no restock date. Refusing to refund me on the 2nd when they knew full well it was worthless as a single unit to me & I'd only bought them 15hrs earlier. :cussing:

Then I bought a case from them that was faulty. The day I was moving house I returned it & they replaced it with another case. Obviously moving into a new house the last thing I'm going to spend time doing is building a pc & it was a few weeks later I eventually came to build it & the perspex side panel had an awful scratch on it like the drill had slipped when they were making the vent holes. OC told me to get stuffed as I hadnt noticed straight away. Assholes. :voodoo:

But I played a blinder twice. I went in with cash that wasnt quite enough for some items & paid so much cash & so much card but the invoice said I'd paid the lot on card & that theyd taken the cash too. Both times I returned the next day & was given my cash back. Bank statements said they'd only taken the difference. Take that mofos hehe :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:37 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
i got mine from the excellent:
http://www.cclonline.co.uk

My mistake was buying some of my bits from dabs.com . I will never make that mistake again. Ebuyer.com is fine for dabs like stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:20 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
*THREAD HIJACK*

Which version of vista are you guys using? did you buy it or did it come pre-installed or did you d/l it?

I've just ordered the last of the athlon chips as an upgrade, the x2 6400+ black edition with a matched pair of ddr2 crucial ballistix pc8500 1gb sticks & an ASUS board (again).

I'm going to run it the same as before with x64 xp & as my vista trial has now expired I'm considering installing a full version as a dual boot. Toms hardware are talking about the enterprise edition as it doesnt need a proper registration & if I remember right, I'm using an enterprise edition of x64 xp (maybe thats why raid wont install on it).

I'm sure anyone who prefers AMD over intel is aware that the quad core chip is long overdue & its named 'phenom', the first of which will be called 'barcelona'.

(I only did this upgrade because my son is 7 in Jan & its time he had a PC, so my oldest rig will be his xmas/birthday prezzie.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:40 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Well the motif of the thread is; i'm building a new pc and I complained about the bug with memory during installation :wacky:

hehe... installed from scratch using Vista x64 Ultimate (NOPE release, its corporate and requires no activation of any kind).

I looked at the reviews and Athlon really has been "loosing" since the XP range, so i purposely avoided ati. I did get onboard nvidia chipset which aren't too hot on the driver front, but its pretty stable now.

I don't think there's any grounding for AMD prefernce over Intel unless its brand loyality which i've never been caught up in; all there is is benchmarking and drivers and Intel is currently trumping at both. nvidia's graphics drivers are a lot better than ATIs for vista too if what i'm reading is true. There's the nix route too, where you get stronger support if your on nivida.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:53 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Dumbass didnt do his homework before ordering on Friday night :wacky:
having looked at the benchmarks etc I regret ordering this bundle but whats done is done & I'm sure it will still be a noticeable difference to this old single core athlon64 3500+.
On a plus side, Toms hardware show you how to overclock the stock 3.2ghz to a stable 3.5ghz which boosts the benchmarks to on par with the intel core duo 6750 in most areas.
Decided to wait on the watercooling for now & chose this instead.

You didnt make it very clear spud, is that a copy you d/led or bought?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:37 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
wtf would i EVER buy a copy of windows? wtf would anyone ever buy a copy of windows?!?!?! :o

Barring businesses, its a lot of money... like £200 :o I aint goin to buy a piece of software that costs that much, not when you can use linux for free :)

I thought it was pretty clear that i wouldn't have bought it, so that's a no, i downloaded it. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:44 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
hehe, didnt realise NOPE was the release group, got that overnight from a pirate bay torrent :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:30 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
thinking about the windows thing, has anyone ever gone out and bought a copy? i mean something you didn't get with a pc.... i just wouldn't pay that much money for nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:43 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Once... and it was very reasonable with a student discount. (XP Pro)(Even had it on pre-order). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:09 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I bought a bundle of games off ebay a long time ago & in the box was a legit copy of windows 95 :wacky: :lol:

I swapped the new bits into the other pc yesterday. After a bit of mucking about its all working. I thought the old sock 939 athlon64 4200+ was fast but this AM2 athlon 64 6400+ is unbelievable. I suspect the DDR2 is also helping as its so much faster encoding than before. :beerchug:

Just a thought (& a good reason to water cool). Why is it whenever you turn the PC off after several weeks/months of being on 24/7, does at least 1 case fan decide its gonna sound like a damn helicopter when you turn it back on again ? :evil: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:12 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
A helicopter sounds nice compared to the mini chainsaws that spin my old laptops fans... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:01 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I've just done a 2 pass xvid encode in gknot on Bo Selecta 2x01 to a 1/12th DVD size on the new kit & I'm stunned, 30mins exactly :o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:42 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
aye, even though i don't use my active big box for encodes, i did upgrade my old render/mule server and that does rips that took 24hrs in 7hrs; even less sometimes :)