Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:08 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I've not installed Medieval, I'll drop it on later and see how it plays

The water kit is a bit of a PITA to install, measure up properly and make sure you have no kinks before you start cutting the tubing, then re-measure and make SURE :lol:

The Nope Release works fine, but Fileheaven isn't working at the moment for me, so I can't link the release thread :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:43 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Installed Medieveal II - everything on full (Including Extreme Shadows) 4x MSAA and 16xAnisotropic. Lowest FPS = 35 @ 1900x1200

Turning off Extreme shadows gets another 10 fps

Perfectly playable @ 35fps though :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:43 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
seige a huge castle with thousands of troops, that's when it slideshows on me :lol:

Nope release just a cd key entry then? Like an xp installation? Any other shite like nagging, WGA, etc.?

I read about installing watercooling, and measuring... supposed to be a complete bitch. Just so i'm sure, the tubing, coolant, etc. all comes with the case. I got mine from ccl and they were kinda vague.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:45 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
seige a huge castle with thousands of troops, that's when it slideshows on me :lol:
Send me a save, I'm shite at it :lol:
Quote:
Nope release just a cd key entry then? Like an xp installation? Any other shite like nagging, WGA, etc.?

No key, no nagging, no WGA, no nothing, just works
Quote:
I read about installing watercooling, and measuring... supposed to be a complete bitch. Just so i'm sure, the tubing, coolant, etc. all comes with the case. I got mine from ccl and they were kinda vague.

It does, everything you need comes with it BITCH to fit though :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:21 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Has your PC arrived, have you built it, what did you get etc ? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:53 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
dabs haven't delievered their shit yet so there's nothing i can do atm. If dabs don't sort their shit out, i'm going to cancel and go with someone else.
cclonline delivered the case, the cpu and the ram.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:44 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I see dabs are as shit as ever then :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:17 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Boy is it a ball ache to try and set-up a pc.

Dabs finally sent me that half of the order so i quickly cobbled together what i could; got the cpu and ram installed quickly, installed the psu into the box, installed two hdd, mounting the waterblock was annoying but easy.... removing the backplate for the motherboard went as expected (ie. i cut my fingers on the damn thing which makes it 100% cutality record for installing those flimsy pieces of shit), i mounted the motherboard, installed the graphics card which was a big beast and started looking at the instructions for installing the reservoir and pump.... but gave up for today because it was too much effort.

I'll no doubt have to piss around plugging in the led lights to the motherboard the right way and will pay later for not reading the instruction manual for the water cooling installation, but i'm going to install that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:14 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
PCA, a couple of questions if you please?

I've wired everything up but before I put the coolant in I'd like to check a few things....
1) how long did you leave the piping between components? Between the block and the radiator and the radiator and the resevoir its pretty optimum without being too tight, however, between the pump and the waterblock i did it with a bit more slack... is that okay? I assume a bit of distance allows me to more easily put in PCI/PICE cards in the future, and the pump will be able to circulate water even if its a bit longer? I'll take a picture when I have time.
2) the instructions are pretty shit, i just unscrewed the metal doohicky, slot it over the piping, pushed the piping over the metal bit on the block/wherever, then tightened the metal doohicky by hand. How tight does it need to be?
3) the installation of the pump was a pain in the ass, i couldn't fit screws through four mounting holes no matter where it was positioned, in the end, i put one screw through one of the holes and left it. Did you manage to screw the thing onto the base of your case?

I'm gonna fill it up with coolant when i'm confident the piping is the right length because obviously, i can't resize it afterwards :(

Looks cool though :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:05 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
PCA, a couple of questions if you please?

I've wired everything up but before I put the coolant in I'd like to check a few things....
1) how long did you leave the piping between components? Between the block and the radiator and the radiator and the resevoir its pretty optimum without being too tight, however, between the pump and the waterblock i did it with a bit more slack... is that okay? I assume a bit of distance allows me to more easily put in PCI/PICE cards in the future, and the pump will be able to circulate water even if its a bit longer? I'll take a picture when I have time.

Should be fine, the only real problem I had was from the out of the rad to the in of the reservoir, that was a bitch, the rest was ok, I tried to leave the connections as long as possible :)
[quote
2) the instructions are pretty shit, i just unscrewed the metal doohicky, slot it over the piping, pushed the piping over the metal bit on the block/wherever, then tightened the metal doohicky by hand. How tight does it need to be?[/quote]
I dunno, the instructions were shit :lol: I did the same as you and all is well
Quote:
3) the installation of the pump was a pain in the ass, i couldn't fit screws through four mounting holes no matter where it was positioned, in the end, i put one screw through one of the holes and left it. Did you manage to screw the thing onto the base of your case?

:lol: EVERYONE says that, and no I only screwed in one screw too
Quote:
I'm gonna fill it up with coolant when i'm confident the piping is the right length because obviously, i can't resize it afterwards :(

Looks cool though :lol:

Make sure you have no kinks and run the cooling for 20 mins or so without any other components connected to make sure you have no leaks or kings, then when you're sure it's OK, plug the mobo etc in :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:55 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
installation was straight forward, used a funnel to fill the reservoir but i put a tad too much in so soaked it up with kitchen paper :lol:

Trying to install vista but its not having any of it; keeps giving me BSOD every time, unless i disable RAID :s

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:27 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I had to install RAID from a USB drive while installing vista... known issue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:07 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
really, that it bsods out if you have a nvidia raid?

what a shit... it bsods out before the accept license screen, i managed to get through it once but then i couldn't get into vista...

I'll try and get into the choose a drive bit and give it a disk... is that really the solution? That's so lame, friggin micro$hits....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:15 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I've got vista installed on nforce 4, but not tried installing with raid, even xp x64 wouldnt work with raid on the AsuS A8N Sli Deluxe board.

As far as tightening your pipes, dont overtighten or you'll split the pipes. Just pinch them over the knurled ends (assuming they exist).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:34 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I can't remember exactly what the explanation was... something about Microsoft changing the installation routine and in the process fucking up the ability to install in a RAID without having to install drivers. Took me awhile to finally get it to work, but just needed to load the drivers on a USB flash drive and direct it to the drive when prompted. Not sure about your particular board though, and I never got a BSOD. I just got a message about the installation failing because it couldn't verify the drives or some such shit.

Good thing is that that was the only issue I've had with Vista... aside from having to worry about software compatibility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:13 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
That's weird, I didn't have that issue and I'm fairly sure I didn't have to provide a disk either.

What motherboard did you go with in the end?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:47 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
i don't want to jinks myself (windows is just booting) but after reading up on vista bsods i took out a stick of ram and found that i no longer got a bsod
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929777

I'm going to download the patch and install; nvidia raid wasn't/isn't looking like its the problem.

@pca,its a gigabyte n650sli-DS4; but i can't really recommend it either way. The northbridge is exceptionally hot on it, so i'd choose another one if i were to buy.

edit: windows is still going, on the completing installation, just installed my graphics card by the looks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:53 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
and now i'm in windows vista x64!

erm, isn't the point of 64bit bigger address sizes = more addressable memory = more code execution with cycle clock cycles? yet windows bsods with 4gb of ram :outsider:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:16 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
...thats M$ logic for you...

..water cooled is a fully closed system right? So I wonder if there would be any benfit in switching away from water and using a synthetic coolant although i wouldnt want to try it out with my new pc myself..

I was thinking nanoparticle type fluids, now that would be interesting..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:00 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
@pca,its a gigabyte n650sli-DS4; but i can't really recommend it either way. The northbridge is exceptionally hot on it, so i'd choose another one if i were to buy.

:lol: that's ok, I wouldn't touch another Nvidia board anyway.