Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:04 am  Post subject: Networking

The Ancient One
Its got too cold now so I've brought the other PC in here & decided to have a go at networking. :o

The XP PC is wired into the router, the Vista is wireless. I was told I didnt need anything else to network them together but as I've never done it before I decided to go buy an RJ45 lead & linked them through spare ethernet ports.
I've paired up the IPs, finally linked them & added some shared files.

My question is... why is it that when I transfer a file from the Vista PC to the XP PC its as fast as moving from HDD to HDD yet when I'm trying to tranfer the other way its as slow as moving from a pen drive?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:59 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Both PCs are connected to the router using patch cables, aren't they? Did you copy the same thing in both directions?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I'm guessing providing your using a switch or crossover, its simply because vista is better.

I'll elaborate by just saying ipv6 + a "fuck tonne" of optimisations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vi ... chnologies
Vista is a hell of a lot faster at negotiating transfers, I've seen this on all my machines.

I imagine vista when establishing the connection is a lot more efficient than when xp is establishing a connection to vista.

Have you also installed IPv6 on XP? Its not there by default but you can add it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:19 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I've never done this before so I bought a crossover cable & plugged 1 end into each PC thus eliminating the router at least that was the plan.

I turned off the ipv6 on the Vista network.

I'm not totally sure about this as I'm a noobie, but it looks like on the Vista PC its seeing 2 networks, 1 unidentified (I assume this is the RJ45) & the wireless which is no longer saying just internet, its now showing mixed so hazarding a guess... 1 way is going through the wire & the otherway its going through the router.

If this is the case, how do I fix my cockup? I'm still struggling to work my way around vista as it is a lot different to XP :suicide:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:05 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
turn it back on, ipv6 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than ipv4.

Quote:
I'm still struggling to work my way around vista as it is a lot different to XP

Really? i've found its almost identical, the shortcut keys all do the same thing, the access to features is by the same method give or take one hop. Your management console is still under right click computer>manage and networking is still under right clicking on network. There's just way too many ways to get at the same info; more hops and methods.

For network, right click on network and go to properties iirc.

Now, I would suggest re-enabling ipv6 on vista it was a bad thing to turn off. I would then get your xp cd and install ipv6 on your xp machine. the protocol is on the cd if you don't have it installed in system32 already.

Now, you need to right click my computer / computer and set the workgroup to both be exactly the same and each machine have a different name.

Then plugin the cross over cable, and wait for it to be detected. It it has a little ! in a yellow triangle, right click it and select repair.

That's all you need to do; same work group, different ips + repair to clean out old settings.

If your not using wireless, right click and disable it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:48 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that later but I've a more immediate problem to deal with :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:25 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
My guess would be the following:

Vista is the problem. I heard that it has performance issues when writing to the hard drive (there is a bugfix for this). So maybe when you copy from XP to Vista it is slow, because Vista writes the data very slowly onto the hard drive.

Link: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/27/038227

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:48 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Its probably XPs sprocket locker. I base this on absolutely nothing. :wacky:

I think that's n/a; that patch was released 6 months ago and only applied to a small subset of tasks ;)

Na, i think that's bullshit RedVeil reading the 'source' links. network optimisation explains it a lot better. Not as much waiting/hogging.

Time wise vista to vista, and vista to xp transfers are way faster than xp to vista or xp to xp transfers.