Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:50 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Yes, basically theres different factors involved & depending on what youre playing the GTS is faster in some instances than the GTX & not in others so basically this is currently the card to buy if youre looking to replace an ageing card.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?type=expert&aid=494

I've just been playing COD4 & have it running on flat out max details (Full texture, AF & AA) at 1280x720 & the FPS has never dropped below 45 & is normally running at over 100+.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:33 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
COD4 is quite a primitive game despite console fanboy claims, its a console game so very limited in terms of geometry and onscreen effects. It often looks pretty but only because its very laboured with primitive effects.

I can easily run it on full specs @ 1600x1200, full effects and AA @ Geforce GTX 768mb. Got really bored with the game though :lol:

Only respectable benchmark for a PC game is crysis atm, it will stretch everything from ram, cpu to the all important graphics card benchmark.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:51 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I disagree that its got primitive effects due to the fact that on the 6800s in SLi it ran like a bag of poo. I've just bought a 19" widescreen monitor & its stil running on max detail at 1400x900 (which is the most this monitor can handle) without stuttering.
I agree that Crysis is the benchmark for your gfx cards & I've got it running on high at 1280x720 without stuttering on the new monitor but not pushed it up to see how far it can go.

I swapped the 2gig of ballistix 1066mhz RAM for 4gig of corsair XMS2 800mhz & was back to BSOD. The 8800 wasnt screwed into the case so I may have knocked it, so again I tried it with the 6800 in too & it made no difference. After a whole night of messing about its stable again & this is my conclusion to my problem:

if the 8800 is parked in the slot the pc runs fine, if I screw it into the case I get crashing & BSODs & this is now the same with the 6800. This suggests to me that the slot its in is faulty & misaligned. Bad board? RMA? damn ASUS for having no UK tech support, grrrrrr! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:25 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I stick by what i said 100%. it is just primitive effects, lots of them layered to make it look pretty but it sure as hell isn't new tech and its all a very simple environment hence why you get ultra high framerates on any modern card. Its all 2d layering for dust, etc. The geometry is simple and very restrictive for the train tracks you're glued to so your cpu doesn't do much. Little/no volumetrics, post-processing effects (motion blur, etc.), since its designed for 720p/1080p console gaming only.

I'm flabbergasted that you can't run on a dual 6800s, because I had it running on a single 6800 ultra with close to max details (albeit at a lower res than i played on my machine [~720p]). How much ram do you have on those card? It could be that. Remember things like texture quality and AA eat ram rather than processing power :) If you run out of ram on card it ends up swapping like a top trumps champion :lol:

I have to say if that's what you get on SLI, SLI is a tad shit. Always seemed like a waste of money to me, you get a tiny boost for double the cost :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:01 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
They were a pair of Leadtek Winfast 256mb PX6800s & back when I bought them were £200 each & tbh, I wasn't overly impressed right from the start.
SLI was in its infancy back then & the board I bought was one of the first to support it: ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe & if you know the board or research it via google it was probably the worst ASUS board ever although personally, after 6 BIOS updates & 6 months of being treated like a guinea pig & swapping the NB fan for a heatsink I managed to get it running stable.
I only did SLI coz I wanted to know what it was all about & a tasty tax return funded it.
Now they are doing triple & quad SLI which is going to the extremes & I'll never do it again coz like you say, the cost of doing it outweighs the gains, I'd rather buy an xbox 360 than spend a further £200 on a 2nd gfx card that will be out of date in 3 or 4 months time.

Primitive effects to me are polygons. I dont understand a lot of the physics but what I prefer about COD4 to Crysis is the fact that I can run it on max detail & feel warm & fuzzy knowing my latest piece of hardware is doing what I expected it to & yet crysis wants me to spend even more money which I wont do & by the time I do I expect crysis 3 will be on the shelves & the card I replace this with wont run that on full detail either. :googley: