Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:54 pm  Post subject: Gamecube *finally* Cracked

Site Admin
I'm not sure if anyone who uses the board has a gamecube like me but I thought this info might be valuable.

For years the cube has gone un-cracked primarily because of a strong anti-piracy stance by nintendo, and it seems their reluctance to use the internet is justified, because it is via the network adapter it has finally been cracked.

You will need PSO (phantasy star online), a network/broadband adapter and a network pc (router / hub preferable). i won't outline all the steps here, but you can read all about the boot method here:
http://www.maxconsole.com/?mode=comments&newsid=1090

Hopefully a modchip will come soon, i hear an external DVD drive is in development :) ISOs are available for many Gamecube games all ready :)

ps. Resident Evil series is exclusive to GCN at the moment *hint hint*

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:04 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
i've got a gamecube and a chipped ps2 but the gamecube is rarely played these days but saying that the ps2 doesn't get played that much either :lol: but i think i'm gonna get rid of the gamecube and keep the ps2 for the odd gaming session but in all honesty i only really play red alert 2/yuri's revenge when i'm in a mood for a game and thats on my other pc :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:36 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I've got a gamecube!!!!
And good news!

Checking the link out now!

Although nothing beats a modded xbox!!!

Some board members will agree :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:04 pm  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Yeah I found out about this earlier in the week, but it seems impossible to find the broadband adaptor anywhere! :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:45 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
I have GC.. and I like it.
My brother just bought a game that you can play online. But we don't have any internetcable yet :S. Can't remember what game it was. Maybe i check it later..

Thx for the post spud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:46 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Hey.. Just saw on the page that was posted. The game was "phantasy star" spud! :)

Hehehe.. Maybe this is some nice shit i will try later.. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:27 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Well i haven't had chance to verify the method myself as I neither PSO (I think it's a crap game) or a BBand adapter, but seems to work for everyone across emulation boards.

I dunno if I posted, isos can be found on suprnova.org

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:34 pm  Post subject:

:D OK I finally got hold of the Broadband Adaptor and Phantasy Star Online, so I'm going to try and hack this bastard this weekend. If anyone's interested, I can let you know how it goes on, so let me know if you want to hear it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:52 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I'm interested :)
I can't find a BBA anywhere (in retail, I know Liksang has them) :(
But I want to see/be told how well it works before commiting to the purchase.

yeah yeah I'm cheap ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:08 pm  Post subject:

I got my BBA from Lik-Sang in the end too! Sick of searching for it, so just went for that one. It's Japanese but I don't think it makes a difference.

Well, as long as one person wants to know, I'll post up the results after the weekend then and let you know if it's worth the effort.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:12 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Thanks freakyclique :)

Let's hope it warks as well as the softmdded xbox ;)
and better than the "knife trick" ps2 ;)

You see now, just HOW cheap I am when it comes to consoles :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:18 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
You just HAD to quote it too didn't you :roll:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:41 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
freakyclique wrote:
:D OK I finally got hold of the Broadband Adaptor and Phantasy Star Online, so I'm going to try and hack this bastard this weekend. If anyone's interested, I can let you know how it goes on, so let me know if you want to hear it.

Any news Freakyclique?
Should I be rushing out to buy a BBA and PSO?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:31 pm  Post subject:

Well, I tried it but still need to try more games out - I only tried it with Animal Crossing and Mario Kart so far. But it's a relatively easy process, I suppose a lot is up to patience.

If you're expecting just to run every game out there perfectly just by connecting the gamecube to the pc then think again. A lot of the games are not working properly and it takes a couple of minutes to load each game up and you have to go through about 10 menus on Phantasy Star each time.

Animal Crossing is the first game I tried, and this is the one that the games loader is based on and it works almost perfectly as far as I can tell. Then I tried Mario Kart and this works pretty well apart from stuttering engine noises and the odd slight pause when final lap comes up or something like that. It's very playable but not perfect.

From what I've learnt, the games loader is being continually updated to make it more compatible therefore loading more games and streaming them better to the gamecube. There is a lot of discussion going on in various forums and the development is in pretty early stages so maybe if you're patient then it will become easier and more reliable.

I already started using a GUI that allows you to load the games into a menu that lets you easily start the games up through the pc and that is making the job a bit easier. I just need some more games!

If you don't really understand what I'm talking about in this, check out this basic guide. Check the forums on that site if you want to find out more and learn about the latest news.

And this is the list of released games that are compatible with the current versions of the loaders and the list of problems encountered with each one: http://gc-compat.webhop.net/

So to sum up: this is cool if you want to try some games out and see what they're like for free. Some games are fully playable and any glitches on others aren't even that annoying! But it's not like you can just copy the game onto a disc and stick it in and play it. At least not yet. But as I said, it's early days yet and I'm sure things will develop a lot.

Feel free to ask any questions... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:17 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Have you tried warp pipe? It tricks network games into thinking the internet is a lan. You can apparantly play Mario Kart over the net that way.

Thankls for the feeback. I'm holding out for the mod chip and dvd-drive, if it ever crops up. Well mario kart and zelda are out so I'm certainly not buying any more games for any console, 99% of console games are just shit :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:21 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll give it a go after xmas :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:37 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Well I'm a Nintendo Boy, and always will be :wink:

So will be trying this out in the new year also!

Still feels, wrong to me though, placing a CD in a Nintendo Machine :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:53 pm  Post subject:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Have you tried warp pipe? It tricks network games into thinking the internet is a lan. You can apparantly play Mario Kart over the net that way.

Not tried it yet, I heard about it though. Might give it a go during the week. Sounds cool! We could have HHAH Mario Kart competitions!

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Well mario kart and zelda are out so I'm certainly not buying any more games for any console, 99% of console games are just shit :(

Did you hear about the Zelda disc that is packed with the ?100 Mario Kart pack? It's got the 2 N64 Zelda games, the SNES one and a demo of Wind Waker on it! Sounds cool but you can't get it any other way.

Also, there is a cool program you can download that injects another N64 rom in place of the Ocarina of Time rom from the disc that came with Zelda Wind Waker! How amazing is that! So now you can download a shitload of N64 games and play them through your gamecube becuase this is an N64 emulator! Gotta try that soon too :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:02 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
freakyclique wrote:

Did you hear about the Zelda disc that is packed with the ?100 Mario Kart pack? It's got the 2 N64 Zelda games, the SNES one and a demo of Wind Waker on it! Sounds cool but you can't get it any other way.

You can get it from Nintendo with their VIP points reward thing, I'm gonn order one tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:36 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Well mario kart and zelda are out so I'm certainly not buying any more games for any console, 99% of console games are just shit :(

Also, there is a cool program you can download that injects another N64 rom in place of the Ocarina of Time rom from the disc that came with Zelda Wind Waker! How amazing is that! So now you can download a shitload of N64 games and play them through your gamecube becuase this is an N64 emulator! Gotta try that soon too :D

yes heard about and am f*cking SEIZING!!!! :evil:

I thought the it doesn't have the best zelda on (the best game ever made by man, woman or beast TM), that being The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. The reason for this is because they want people to buy it on the GBA:SP, and screw that.

If it does have the snes one I'll see if i can get it on ebay or something. I thought it was:

in
Legend of Zelda (NES)
Legend of Zelda 2 (NES)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
and a demo of wind waker (GCN)

out
Legend of Zelda 3: LTTP (SNES)
Legend of Zelda 4: Link's Awakening (GB)
Legend of Zelda Four Seasons (or whatever it was renamed)
and those monstrousities made by Philips for the Philips CDI way back in the day

I'm glad the philips cdi ones are dead :lol: I would like LTTP, LA and Four Seasons though, I completed the former two, and have never played the two made by capcom :(