Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:44 pm  Post subject: Ripping methods / software for linux?

Site Admin
Anyone got any advice / decent guides for ripping, filtering and encoding on a purely linux (ubuntu) box?

Ideally I'd want gknot, but that's win32 only. How do you linux people rip and encode?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:49 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I haven't tried it but DVD Decrypter is supposed to work with wine.

Mplayer works almost as well:
mplayer -dumpstream dvd://N (N=title you want to rip, usually 1 for main movie)

That'll create a file named stream.dump which is basically one large vob.

For encoding/editing, the best I've found is avidemux.
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

It's like vdub with the filters built in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

Site Admin
i've setup wine before for dvddecrypter, but i figured there'd be a decent solution natively rather than introducing that bottleneck?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I think there is still no nice GUI (avidemux would be only a VDubMod replacement). I haven't checked now, but I usually do every 6 months. MeGUIx has been in development for a while and I'm still waiting. BTW, MeGUI (without the x, windows only) is really a much better GUI than gknot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:46 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?
Request Territory

Request Territory
If you want to quickly encode a vcd/svcd/dvd/stream or any file mplayer can play:

inputfile=/dev/dvd
outputfile=/home/karsten/out.avi
bitrate=1200
aspect=4/3

mencoder $inputfile -o $outputfile \
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=$bitrate:aspect=$aspect \
-oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=128

For a more serious dvd rip to a certain size with multiple passes and cropping you would have to beef up that commandline. But it's not that hard, man mencoder surely helps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

Skull Full Of Maggots
elguaxo wrote:
I think there is still no nice GUI (avidemux would be only a VDubMod replacement). I haven't checked now, but I usually do every 6 months. MeGUIx has been in development for a while and I'm still waiting. BTW, MeGUI (without the x, windows only) is really a much better GUI than gknot.

There is Handbrake for Linux. I've only used the win version for xvid rips so I don't know how it works on Linux.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

The Devil, Probably
Does Handbrake have filters like the avisynth ones?

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:24 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

Skull Full Of Maggots
I don't think there are any advanced filter options like some other encoders have. There's a single denoise option in the gui. But that probably activates the h264 codec denoiser.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

The Ancient One
*bump* :D

I managed to install AviSynth, GKnot & XviD under XUbuntu. VirtualDubMod works and can display XviD files with no problem. XviD settings also work. The only problem is that GKnot can't open the XviD settings dialogs. According to a site this is a Wine bug.

I'll keep you updated. :wacky:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

The Ancient One
I just ripped Cut with DVDDecrypter under WINE. It worked perfectly. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

The Ancient One
Mutlithreaded AviSynth does not work under Linux with wine. Because of this, I'll no longer use Linux for encoding purposes. :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

The Ancient One
Linux is back. :) AviSynth/MT does work under Linux with Wine. All you need is 2 additional DLL files.

Edit: proof...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping methods / software for linux?

The Devil, Probably
Xubuntu rules! :mrgreen:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)