Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:50 pm  Post subject: MLDonkey?

Site Admin
Are there any mldonkey users on this forum?

How does it perform? is it cpu intensive?

I'm considering buying a NAS, and there's a module for the thecus n5200 to add mldonkey:
http://www.onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N ... :_MLdonkey

What is your experience? how does it play with emule?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:58 am  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

The Devil, Probably
I am mldonkey user, though I rarely use it anymore and did not update it for ages. It is not very cpu intensive, I had it running on a small p4, which I use as gateway with no noticeable effects. How does it perform? As I said, I did not update mine for ages, I am several major versions behind, so I cannot say how a modern version performs. From what I heard in forums, it seems to be slower than emules, but I never tried to verify such claims. I had mine running 24/7 so slight differences in speed did not really matter. For your special use case, which is similar to mine, I'd say mldonkey is a good choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:26 pm  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

Site Admin
well i'm just interested in leaving it running on the nas, my machine that i run emule donkey on has a motherboard fault where it will lockup on anything that is ram intensive.

Does it connect to KAD?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:15 pm  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Does it connect to KAD?

not a regular mldonkey user, but I have a very slow machine where I run it sometimes. It's very light on the CPU and KAD works well. A decent alternative to the standard emule client. And Sansho is great!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:46 pm  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

Site Admin
i think i might buy a thecus then and load it up with 5x1TB drives, it will solve my disk space and emule problems in the short term

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:14 pm  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

Site Admin
okay I bought a thecus n5200 pro, and used 4x750GB drives in RAID5 and 1x 750GB drive as hotswap drive.

Any mldonkey configuration tips?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:33 pm  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

Site Admin
w00t, I'm back on the emule network at last...
I've configured up using the sanchos gui, like the remote resources thing although its a tad annoying how the list refreshes whilst you are using it (it will focus on your currently selected transfer, so you can't 'scroll ahead')
I like the multiuser/group interface for handling downloads; so you can create a horror user and fling all your horror files into a directory (like a category in emule).

Only downside is the gui feels a tad too 'decoupled' for my tastes; you can tell its remote and needs to refresh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:54 pm  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

Site Admin
No takers?

I have to say, mldonkey is wonderful! Its really low on the resource usage, as you can tell by the fact I have it running on a NAS (alright, albeit a 1.5GHz / 512 ram one), but its just great.

You can segregate downloads via nix like usernames and groups, so I've created a movies, horror, scifi , etc user and then add a folder to each, so the completes are automatically sorted (like emule categories).

One of the really great things is you have a core running on a telnet port, a lightweight web gui, but then an actual gui port. So you run your gui locally (sanchos is good!), and then can nat your port on the firewall and login as one of the users you've created and manage remotely. Clicks are intercepted so you are working a terminal client / server relationship which works great for remote administration.

You might have just read I contradicted what I said above; well i tweaked the refresh and take the hit on the updates to prevent it updating on me mid-action... it really works for remote admin.

Really happy with the setup, and the best thing is it got me back on ed2k after emule kept crashing my box.

I have noticed speeds aren't up to what I got but this could very well be the fact i've been out of action for two months. Its respectable mind, I peaked at 335kb/s looking at my stats... average is lower at 65kb/s.

Very easy to manage, remote is the past future! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:44 pm  Post subject: Re: MLDonkey?

Dead But Dreaming
i've just started using this last night and while its somewhat easy to set up, i'm still gonna play with it a little bit to see if I can get to high id. Its funny seeing myself in my own queues. I have emule on one machine and mldonkey 3.0 on another.
The Sancho gui seems a bit strange at first but you just have to be persistent.