Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a ps3 for a while,

:o * Swallows keyboard*

spudthedestroyer wrote:
I'd happily buy a htpc but the problem i have is silencing them, anyone got some hardware recommendations on that front?

Surely some passive cooled GFX are powerfull enough to handle 1080p.264's ?
Liquid cooling for for the cpu . SSd's if you're picky about drive noise...
Pricey, but you want silence ?

Otherwise close the closet its standing in. :googley:

I'm looking for a as cheap as possible HTPC solution myself.
Surely it can be done within 500 $/€ ?!
No need for a 8800GTXXXXL and quads.

Someone qualified should make a thread about "Definitive compile a HTPC" topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Site Admin
I doubt there's a passively coolable, full hd GFX card for less than £1000.
I use water cooling but you still hear the pump, case and graphics card fans.

Quote:
No need for a 8800GTXXXXL and quads.

unfortunately there is, you want to be able to playback native 1080p with AAC/Dolby in whatever container, with whatever codec with whatever matrix, profile or setting without repacking.

There's also the issue with interface; xbmc still has the best interface by far... mouse and keyboard for a media center is shit, as is a control pad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I'd happily buy a htpc but the problem i have is silencing them, anyone got some hardware recommendations on that front?

I built a HTPC out of an old CAD machine from work for about £100 total. Good for 720p rips output over DVI-HDMI, could probably cope with 1080p rips but I haven't downloaded any yet.

Some good advice over at http://www.projecthtpc.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Site Admin
i only download 1080p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Mod of the Living Dead
same here :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

The Devil, Probably
It's a storage issue more than anything. 1080p rips are usually DVD9, where 720p are DVD5 and my 640GB storgae in the HTPC will get eaten up pretty quickly. Like most, I download at a much greater rate than I actually watch. :lol:

I only download TV shows in HD (when available) and get them organised with Media Portal:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

The Devil, Probably
That looks sweet. Gotta remember it when I build my HTPC (somwhere, sometime)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Mod of the Living Dead
Aeon skin for xbox looks pretty damn nice too, I'm gonna switch to that on my old SD telly in the bedroom :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Site Admin
Quote:
1080p rips are usually DVD9

I find that a problem since it compromises what suits the encode best for an restrictive, and imo surpassed, format; DVD9 is overly priced and a useless format; 11GB seems a good size too. I find the DVD format completely useless now for me as a backup medium. I've got TB of standing storage and removal hdds for archival purposes.

Much better :)

Your skin looks nice though, but I'm not a fan of pretty guis; can you click to queue and watch an entire series with at most two button presses? that's always my first question! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Your skin looks nice though, but I'm not a fan of pretty guis; can you click to queue and watch an entire series with at most two button presses? that's always my first question! :lol:

You know, I've never actually tried that. :lol: I rarely watch more than two episodes back-to-back, so it doesn't affect me. When an episode finishes playing, it drops back to the episode list, so I just hit the next episode and away it goes. Usually need a toilet or coffee break anyway, so a pause is no bad thing. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:17 am  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Site Admin
I *always* queue up episodes; it pisses me off royally when a DVD does not have a play all button. :suicide:

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Demon Of The Abyss
What about this little guy : http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572

I'm afraid no network, usb only, but at that dirt cheap price ...look at all the formats it supports 8)
Just imagine ;flash your just downed 1080p on some stick from your main rig, walk downstairs , grab beer, pop it in player, splash arse in couch, grab remote, play.

Could it be ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Demon Of The Abyss
i just made a custom pc system for the tv room. I built it form bits rather than buying a assembled ting so got it super cheap. It can pump out 1080p with no problems into my tv and has full surround sound. I also use XBMC for linux running on xubuntu to drive the media player...

Looks great, has all the database functions, awesome skins, ... it is defiantly the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 am  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

The Ancient One
I went through some old leftover parts I had lying around the other day, and managed to put them all together into 2 whole machines. Granted, Im using a 15 year old keyboard on one, no dvd-rom on another, and the only screen is the TV, BuT it works just fine. These machines cant play crysis or GTA 4, but theyre more than good enough to play any movie in any format, listen to music and pump out some youtube laughs on the big screen. Since I live in a huge collective now, with 20 other people who pretty much party 24/7, its also great that it isn't the end of the world if somebody spills beer all over it, or figures its a good idea to use them as a bottle openers, since its all old and crappy parts.

And best of all, we installed a mame emulator on of of them, and now we're having a blast reliving our childhood, by finally completing all those arcade games we would drool on as toddlers.

So, yeay for old computers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:07 am  Post subject: Re: Xbox is just getting too old to use as media player... so???

Demon Of The Abyss
John_Doe wrote:
I went through some old leftover parts I had lying around the other day, and managed to put them all together into 2 whole machines. Granted, Im using a 15 year old keyboard on one, no dvd-rom on another, and the only screen is the TV, BuT it works just fine. These machines cant play crysis or GTA 4, but theyre more than good enough to play any movie in any format, listen to music and pump out some youtube laughs on the big screen. Since I live in a huge collective now, with 20 other people who pretty much party 24/7, its also great that it isn't the end of the world if somebody spills beer all over it, or figures its a good idea to use them as a bottle openers, since its all old and crappy parts.

And best of all, we installed a mame emulator on of of them, and now we're having a blast reliving our childhood, by finally completing all those arcade games we would drool on as toddlers.

So, yeay for old computers!

rofl... this is like what my post would look like if i could spell... i done teh exact thign.