Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:48 pm  Post subject: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
The thread about me building my new PC was lost in the server*bleep* or whatever it was, so I'm posting here now: the building is completed, but something is wrong with my XP disc, so I don't have any OS running atm. As soon as everything is up and running again, I'll release my next movie "Mardi Gras Massacre". It's a DVDrip supposed to replace your old crappy VHS rip. Until then I will be posting sometimes, from my gf's PC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:36 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Site Admin
http://www.ubuntu.com/

f*ck xp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
I was dual booting Ubuntu until about a week ago. It was fine when it worked, but it kept on killing itself and refusing to boot after a while, did this about 6 times in 2 months and then I fucked it off out of it.

TBH I did not find it any faster than my Vista, but then again I have put a huge amount of time into tweaking everything to get this performance. Ubuntu was that fast out of the box, so to speak. I never really liked XP, a bit too twitchy but I could not be arsed at the time to try any version of Linux.

I actually really like Vista now, although it was a bit of a shitter at the start. It is incredibly stable now, I get uptimes that stretch for weeks at a time, and even then I only reboot because I have to for whatever reason, have not had a bad crash for months and months. I get the occasional app that crashes, but it has yet to bring Vista down with it, and I had as many apps crash on Ubuntu, but none of those brought the OS down.

IMHO, from a personal perspective, I will leave it again for a while, as I have before. I think the next version of Ubuntu will do it for me, but time will tell.

Eh, Slayer, you gonna post tech specs mate? I totally missed the invisible thread first time around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:55 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
Yup, will do, when I find the receipt ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:17 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
Found it! Install is complete now, busy tweaking the monster.

Here goes:

- Intel Core2Quad Q9300 4x2.50 GHz 6M Box 1333 MHz FSB
- Asus P5Q PRO Intel P45 DDR2 Crossfire
- 2048 MB A-Data ~DDR2/800 Dimm
- Samsung 750 GB SATA II U300 7200 rpm 32M
- MSI Radeon HD4850 512MB DDR3 HDMI PCI-E => 625 MHz/1986 MHz/HDMI/DVI
- Forton Source 700W ATX 2.2 SLI PSU

This combined with my older HDD's, one IDE 250 GB and one SATA 250 GB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:06 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Site Admin
I'd have chosen vista over XP. I find it more stable now and more refined an os than xp. All the benchmarking, and naysaying is pretty much defunct itself... basing itself on early betas or just being out right fabrications that are disproven by use. There's a few things that are okay, but there are collosal gains in things like networking which is a hell of a lot faster (very useful for transferring hd content ! )

i use vista, but there's not a chance in hell any end user can argue the virtues of it over pretty much any linux distro once you get into them... if you know what you are doing, i guess that's always the wild card. I'm lazy so i have vista on my main machine at the moment. It might be a big if about knowledge, but I use and don't mind vista at all, and i nearly choked when i read takyon's reply; ubuntu is much faster if not up to personal tastes. :)

But i'm kind of a technical guy, until I quit last week I worked with hpux servers which is one of the most archiac unix environments around and still viable so ubuntu isn't exactly difficult :lol:

Out of the box, ubuntu is faster and vista is 'easier'. After tweaking, ubuntu is much faster and easier :) If you learn the basics.

Worth a look, you can play with a live cd ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
Hehe, well, I'm lazy as well, so I might give it a look later, but I'm not promising anything.

I have a problem now, btw: I'm typing this from the Express Gate browser (which comes with the mobo), and it's the only way I can get on the internet. My normal connection doesn't get established. Both FF and IE can't connect to a server, upgrades can't either and on my modem I don't see a nice green light telling me it is detecting my PC. I tried a different cable, I tried disabling the mobo-browser, both to no avail.

I fear something might be wrong with the port on the mobo to which my UTP cable connects. What else could possibly be the problem?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 am  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Site Admin
its will be your ethernet drivers most likely; if one browser works and not the others it is software... it not got a hardware firewall?

My guess is you got some shite drivers, uninstall them and try the generic ones; ubuntu for the win here, it will use native ethernet drivers it will use so should work off the bat, 100% successful detection on every pc i've tried :p

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:46 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
No, it is worse than that I got shit drivers. The driversa re perfect, you just have to not forget to install them :suicide:

Well, prob solved. On to the next thing: more drivers, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:02 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Dead But Dreaming
Slayer wrote:
No, it is worse than that I got shit drivers. The driversa re perfect, you just have to not forget to install them :suicide:

Well, prob solved. On to the next thing: more drivers, etc.

Don't feel bad. I did that once when I was installing a video capture
card on a new box. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I couldn't
get any station to tune in and then I remembered that I had not installed
the audio driver. Der....

:oops:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:57 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
Everything is running fine now, the mule is back up again and sound and graphics are fully restored.

The only thing which isn't working properly yet is my front sound.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:07 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
Hmmm, I got myself a new problem: my IDE HDD can't be formatted. I used "Format disk" by rightclicking the drive in "My Computer". It started formatting, but while finishing I got the message "Can't finish formatting".

In the command console I typed "Format F:" but it responded with the message "Filetype is RAW. Use /FS to choose the filetype for this disk". It doesn't recognise a filetype after that, so the data are off the disk (I made a backup of them, so it's not about the data, but about the HDD itself - I just want to use it again).

After the first try (I tried two times) I could get on the HDD, but when I copied files on them, they played back in a very, very blocky mode. So something really is wrong here.

How to solve this? I couldn't find anything useful on this on the net. TIA for any useful remarks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:21 am  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Dead But Dreaming
How old is the hard drive? Did the format process you used do an integrity check?
If so did it come up with any errors? Here's a nice basic link for formatting HDs via
XP:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

Also, when you say 'play back' do you mean the files you copied over
were video files and they were choppy in playing? You could check under
the Device Manager to see if the IDE channels (under IDE/ATA channels)
are set to DMA mode (which they should be). If they are in PIO mode then
something is going on...

I'm also assuming you're using XP.... If not then a Vista user is going to be
more helpful here. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:39 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
Thanks for the advice. I'm using XP indeed.

Transfermode is and was DMA.

I tried formatting it by using the guide in your link to no avail. I tried again by deleting the partitions, so the HDD became Unallocated first. It didn't help either. Before the second try I disconnected and reconnected the IDE cable. It keeps saying "Formatting can't be completed".

XP told me there might be a problem with the SCSI: what could it be? I'm not even sure what SCSI is, really.

I fear the HDD is dead :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:45 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Site Admin
sorry to repeat myself, but ubuntu! The live disc should let you format a hdd; but ntfs is a closed format so you'll have to do fat32 then convert.

You can delete whatever you've/windows has f8cked up, format as fat32 then get windows simply to convert it to ntfs:
Code:
convert C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is the letter of the drive. that will convert from fat16 or 32 to ntfs.

Or you could format as the superior ext3 filesystem, and install this windows driver:
http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

Which will mean you can read/write to the drive in either operating system without emulating anything.

Or you could just use ubuntu? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:53 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
sorry to repeat myself, but ubuntu! The live disc should let you format a hdd; but ntfs is a closed format so you'll have to do fat32 then convert.

You can delete whatever you've/windows has f8cked up, format as fat32 then get windows simply to convert it to ntfs:
Code:
convert C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is the letter of the drive. that will convert from fat16 or 32 to ntfs.

Can't I just convert back in Windows like this

Code:
convert C: /fs:fat32

And then format and convert back?

If not, where can I get an Ubuntu live disc?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:07 am  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Devil, Probably
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download (Live CD is included by default)

I recently tried ubuntu on my laptop... driver issues had me back to XP, :(... I had high hopes...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:37 am  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Dead But Dreaming
Slayer wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm using XP indeed.

Transfermode is and was DMA.

I tried formatting it by using the guide in your link to no avail. I tried again by deleting the partitions, so the HDD became Unallocated first. It didn't help either. Before the second try I disconnected and reconnected the IDE cable. It keeps saying "Formatting can't be completed".

XP told me there might be a problem with the SCSI: what could it be? I'm not even sure what SCSI is, really.

I fear the HDD is dead :(

Well SCSI (often pronounced scuzy) is 'small computer system interface'. Essentially it is a different way to
transfer information via storage devices. Why XP is even mentioning this I can't figure out.

Assuming you don't want to dive into Ubuntu, here are a couple more questions for you:

When you go to CMOS, does the computer recognize the HD via an auto detect or did you set the
Cylinders/Sectors/Etc. yourself?

What is the make and model of the HD? Some HDs (Maxtor comes to mind) have special programs
to 'help' install/format to get them to work. Check the maker's web site to see if this is the case
and DL the program and give it a whirl.

Last question: When you installed the drive, did you change the jumper settings on the boot drive
from MASTER to MASTER WITH SLAVE PRESENT? If you are seeing the drive in windows, you most
likely have it correct. But like so many problems with computers, it the little things that count.

Good luck!

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:10 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

Site Admin
Slayer wrote:
Can't I just convert back in Windows like this

Code:
convert C: /fs:fat32

And then format and convert back?

If not, where can I get an Ubuntu live disc?

I doubt it, windows is the thing stopping you from formatting in the first place; you'd need to format as fat32 then convert it to ntfs. The tool does not support moving from ntfs to fat32.

And for the last question, their homepage you lazy bitch. :googley:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:56 pm  Post subject: Re: New PC: WIP

The Ancient One
Any drive installed on a RAID controller, even if its not set as raid will report as SCSI.

When you begin installing XP, you are given the option to remove/create partitions & format quick/slow.
If that doesnt work, then go to your HDD manufacturers website & d/l their HDD tools. Usually you have to create a floppy disk with them to allow you to set the drive up in DOS via a GUI so its dead easy. I've never had a problem doing it this way with either a Maxtor or a Seagate drive.