Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Skull Full Of Maggots
elguaxo wrote:

not all movies look better at 1080p, specially old movies that were not properly remastered. But properly remastered or new movies look soo much better at 1080p. In fact many people don't buy Bluray now, because they are waiting for the next higher specs standard. New movies are digitally stored at higher resolutions than 1080p, so it won't be so hard to upgrade.

The ones with a lot of noise and grain look pretty bad. Broadcast video that's Upscaled to 1080 looks even worse.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

The Devil, Probably
A couple of weeks back i've read an article about someone buying/building/testing a HTPC machine with a budget of ~300 euros, now thats not that much is it for a HTPC?

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Skull Full Of Maggots
pure wrote:
A couple of weeks back i've read an article about someone buying/building/testing a HTPC machine with a budget of ~300 euros, now thats not that much is it for a HTPC?

That sounds good for an entire system. But a bluray burner costs around $250-$400 according to some sites. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:47 am  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

The Devil, Probably
That was a system without any blu-ray, only a spare drive for possible future changes :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
once again, seriously consider why you want bluray; look at a newsgroups subscription because the vibe is generally bluray is just not worth the money at the moment.

If its still around when in two years when they quarter the prices; get one then. Leave a spare bay and just don't bother with bluray.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Mod of the Living Dead
in fairness, the ~10gb 1080p rips don't look as good as blu-ray (or HD-DVD) does, although they're good enough.

As far as I'm concerned I got a free blu-ray player with my ps3, I certainly wouldn't have bought a standalone!