Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Ancient One
Truba wrote:
in the boy with the names...it is a different story :jesus:

You have boys in your wardrobe? :o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:43 am  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
Everybody is going to switch to HDDs after he/she lost his/her favorite movie, because the DVD got borked. :googley:

but when a dvd breaks, you lose 5 or 6 movies. When a HD breaks, you can lose 1000 movies at once!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:48 am  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Site Admin
John_Doe wrote:
elchupacabra wrote:
Everybody is going to switch to HDDs after he/she lost his/her favorite movie, because the DVD got borked. :googley:

but when a dvd breaks, you lose 5 or 6 movies. When a HD breaks, you can lose 1000 movies at once!

well, not if its raid mind, and it has to be a total hdd failure too, since recovery tools handle anything else. I've had most success with recovering ext3; there's a windows driver for it:
http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 am  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Ancient One
A DVD unfortunately is quite likely to brake. I had DVDs that broke within a week. I've never had a broken HDD yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:45 am  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Ancient One
The only dvds Ive ever had break, were either faulty from the start, or exposed to exsessive sand-paper treatment. Ive had a bunch of hd'd fuck up though, some after being dropped, and others just starting to fuck up for seemingly no reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
So far I had luck even with ~4 years old DVDs, but for me the most important point of HDs is time. I don't want to waste time copying, burning or cataloging. You still have to buy HDs, but an old PC + RAID array of HDs + FreeNAS has been great. And of course your standalone/HTPC should be capable of reading data over ethernet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Devil, Probably
I too feel the same way like Truba mentioned. If I have a DVD I can touch the media and know that there's a movie on it. With HDs I don't get the same feeling.
Watching movies on my computer also doesn't give me the same experience as I have when watching it on television - although I am not a Media Center owner yet.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: i am writing in a dark room... so sory for my mistakes

but i was very pleased during those great times of ONE movie ONE CD ... with the box and the color print of the movie poster... :jesus:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
John_Doe wrote:
elchupacabra wrote:

what breaks???

i ve lost only few movies on the CDs and that were no name bad CDs... and bad really bad movies...

what do you do with your DVDs??? play soccer?? put cup of tea on them? :outsider:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Ancient One
They simply break. You have nothing to do. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:50 am  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Ancient One
well, sometimes when a couple has been living together for a longer period of time, either one, or sometimes both, might simply feel the need for a little break. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Dead But Dreaming
John_Doe wrote:
yeah, HDs got alot of good things going for them.. only problem for me is that 750gb is nowhere near enough. 10 times that, and we're talking...
They're still a bit too expensive for me to buy ten 1gb hds though..

This perked an interesting thought in my head (looking at John Doe's near 8 TB need for storage) that perhaps we are storing
too much stuff.

Wait! Hear me out.

Assuming that you're not storing 4gb rips of movies, but say the more common 700mb rips, that would be a bit over 11,000 movies.
Which is a lot of movies. I'm not going to bring up the argument of 'when are you ever going to watch ALL those movies' but perhaps
a more moderate argument of ' Do you need all those movies'. As a pack-rat/collector type myself I understand the joys of having
a pile of stuff. But, I think there comes a point when you can say that enough is enough or maybe I need to divest myself of some of
these files (movies) that are just crap. Along similar lines, my girlfriend and me have collected books for the past 15-20 years (we both
worked at a bookstore forever) and accumulated quite a collection. Recently, we've been going through the collection and getting rid
of stuff that we no longer have an interest in.
Now, I do recognize that media types are changing in quality and therefore in size (HD seems to be a prime mover there) and I beleive
the need for bigger HDs will always be present. I guess I'm beginning to feel that as a collection grows, it starts to become an albatross
around the neck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Devil, Probably
Hmm, you've got a point there. I only ever download stuff that I am going to watch. Currently I have about 170 downloaded movies and watched around 100 of them.
This would be around 120 GB if you count each movie as 700 MB and round up because of some being even larger in size. But 8 TB is more data than I can imagine. :o

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
i have 3200 movies... and few series and one closet

i do not collect them all... only those i like when i read what they are about... but i know people with 11000 movies... and maybe 1000 series...
they are professional pirates who are selling movies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
be frank... you do not need more than 5000 movies...
there is no chance to see them in a lifetime... only if the stop filming new ones...
i have movies i bought back in 2003 and 2004 and still havent seen them...

i do not think that space or GBs are problem... the time is problem... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: so little time so much to see read and do

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:23 am  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Site Admin
I dunno about you but there's films i'd never would have thought about downloading.
I download everything and store everything, the number of times people have asked about a movie and I'm able to says "oh i've got that" and lend it to them.

I don't delete anything but nukes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:09 am  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
:mrgreen: i am not able to download... because of download limit but i arrange changes with friends on the internet via bus or post office
you do not know my luck when mailman rings on the door with 20-30 movies :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

i have deleted only children of the living dead :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

The Ancient One
Hehe, I just bought Children of the Living Dead on DVD :mrgreen:

About what to keep and what not: I watch series and then delete them. I know I'm never gonna re-watch an entire series again, so... Movies I really, really disliked because they were terribly boring, get deleted as well. When I buy movies on DVD the rip gets deleted. All other stuff I keep, BUT: I'm not downloading EVERYTHING anymore, I choose the ones which appeal to me. Which saves me a lot of bandwidth and time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Changing over to HDs?

Dead But Dreaming
Slayer wrote:
About what to keep and what not: I watch series and then delete them. I know I'm never gonna re-watch an entire series again, so... Movies I really, really disliked because they were terribly boring, get deleted as well. When I buy movies on DVD the rip gets deleted. All other stuff I keep, BUT: I'm not downloading EVERYTHING anymore, I choose the ones which appeal to me. Which saves me a lot of bandwidth and time.

Yeah, that's where I'm at as well. I definitely don't DL everything. I think if you have the time/money/will power to do that then
more power to you. I'd say about half of what I DL anymore gets deleted. The stuff I keep I would consider either rare (not on DVD)
or I liked so much that I will watch it again. I think that if I had all three of my requirements then I would be more apt to do it. I love
organizing things. But at that point, it would be more about the collection rather than watching the movies... :D