Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:06 pm  Post subject: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

Site Admin

Quote:
OnLive is launching the world’s highest performance Games On Demand service, instantly delivering the latest high-end titles over home broadband Internet to the TV and entry-level PCs and Macs.
Founded by noted technology entrepreneur Steve Perlman (WebTV, QuickTime) and incubated within the Rearden media and technology incubator, OnLive spent seven years in stealth development before officially unveiling in March 2009.
OnLive, together with its Mova subsidiary, lies directly at the nexus of several key trends, all of which are reshaping the way we think about and use digital media:
The shift to cloud computing, displacing the limitations, cost and complexity of local computing;
An explosion of consumer broadband connectivity, bringing fast bandwidth to the home;
Unprecedented innovation, creativity and expansion within the video game market.
Pioneering the delivery of rich interactive media to the home, OnLive will change the way that entertainment applications are created, delivered and consumed.

http://www.onlive.com/

Spud-o-verview:
Quote:
Subscription based cloud rendering. You run a thin client, send your commands over the net and their servers render and return the response. Essentially you never update your platform, yet the graphics, etc. are always cutting edge.

Options:
Quote:
Browser plugin supports:
* Windows
* MAC -> yes, you fools, your shitty mac playing games at last
A "50$" box.

Spud view:
Not sure, on paper its brilliant. Its brilliant, you pay a subscription, get content on demand, etc. and you get full specs all the time. You get full pc gaming, at a cost entry barrier to silence moaners. If it works it would utterly decimate sony, and microsoft who target 'high end' users, and nintendo's maket share would seriously be crippled.

I worry about:
* LAG! Seriously, how it handles lag will make or break it. Early reports say on, for example, burnout it just didn't feel 60fps.
* Legality: Who owns the game? Do you buy a game, then rent time on their servers? Do you pay a subscription and get what you want? Do you get sent the game so you can play it again later off-line?
* Censorship: Will the Australians, Germans, Americans f*ck us over with their censored games? Germans don't like zombies, Australia things banning is a national sport, and well yanks are scared of sex :lol:

Its where we've been going for a while and where computing has been going, the real question is will it over come the technical issues? Will lag just make it unusable?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:30 pm  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

The Ancient One
I read an article on it today. I think it will take years till it works flawless, if ever. Lag will be killing, and one guy in the article said that the amount of heat produced by the huge set of servers will be immense: there goes our climate, boys!

What I really like about this idea is the following:

I'll never have to wait for updates/patches and the like: just go online and play, the updates will be implemented as you play. Nice.

What I really don't like about this idea is the following:

Right now, I own several games. Sometimes I feel like playing them, sometimes I don't. It doesn't matter, whenever I feel like playing, I just put the disc in and play. My only worries are available servers and sometimes a little lag.

But

When I have to buy a monthly subscription, and I don't feel like playing for 28 days out of 30/31, then that will be some expensive subscription. So I lose my freedom of gaming! Very important, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:27 pm  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

The Devil, Probably
:thumbsup:

I'm excited...

My Netflix subscription is a nice filler for watching movies/shows... Why not OnLive for games? If it works well, why would you go anywhere else to play demos? A small fee and unlimited demos would be great.

I'll be in line to give it a try later this year... until then, I'll keep my hopes up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:18 pm  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

The Devil, Probably
I don't play games, so I absolutely do not give a f*ck about the whole thing. :googley:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 pm  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

Dead But Dreaming
I don't play video games online so I absolutely do not give a f*ck about the whole thing. :googley:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 pm  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

The Devil, Probably
Games are a waste of time IMO so I couldn't give a fuckin shit either. And plus, it sounds like it won't work for years to come anyway.

"put down the controller and pick up a book!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 am  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

Site Admin
Couldn't disagree with you more :outsider:

@online play, i think you are almost completely missing the point, this is not a play mode but a distribution model! The idea is the complete decimation of console gaming by a highly disruptive technology (if it works), it has absolutely nothing to do with 'online gaming'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 am  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

Dead But Dreaming
Meh, I stopped reading after WebTV. :lol:
Lemme know when they start talking fun games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 pm  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

The Devil, Probably
So its kinda getting games/demos through xboxlive or whatever? Or Steam? but you only cache the data, which streams to you through their servers, no hard copy installed?

Yeah it sounds good option for gamers I guess. Would probably be real cool in netcafes and bars/clubs (in jukebox/arcade style kiosk!).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:28 pm  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

The Devil, Probably
OnLive Game Service to launch on June 17 in the US for $15 a month:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/onli ... -15-a-mon/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 am  Post subject: Re: OnLive: All Your Base Are Belong To PC

Demon Of The Abyss
karstmobile wrote:
OnLive Game Service to launch on June 17 in the US for $15 a month:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/onli ... -15-a-mon/

I really hope this works as advertised, I just can not see how it could. The potential of cloud computing to completely change computers, game systems and mobile devices is frickn amazing. OnLive is just one of the many systems being developed but it seams to be getting a lot of coverage.