Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:26 pm  Post subject: Help with onboard sound

The Ancient One
I have my old mainboard and CPU installed in a different casing, as I want to have it working for my gf. But, and this is the second time it turns out to be this way, the sound isn't working: the error message says that there is no audio device. Which might be correct, as the mainboard has onboard sound.

Here's the problem: I can't get it working. I have searched for driversand fnally found some: the nForce Chipset driver 5.10, but: after installing it it still doesn't work. The speakers and the headphones stay mute. I have checked all audio settings in the Control Panel, there is no system muting or anything like that.

Right now I'm clueless. What should I do? Please don't reply with just "buy a new mainboard" as I'm aware of that solution, but I'm trying to avoid it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

Dead But Dreaming
It is a driver. You have the wrong one installed. I have a butt load of older drivers here, but I need more information about what the onboard sound card is? Also did you try going to the Msoft update site? A lot of times it will help you out with that. Just have it check for updates for the comp. you are working on.
Loverly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

The Ancient One
The difference betwen before and after installing the driver was that the computer told me there wasn't any audio device before, and it didn't tell me that after, so the driver must have done something good, but not everything.

The mainboard is Abit NF7-S2, the onboard sund is nForce, but I don't know much else about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

Dead But Dreaming
ABIT NF7-S2 - motherboard - ATX - nForce2 Ultra 400 driver
Is this the driver that you installed?
If not you can get it here and give it a try
http://www.howtodrivers.com/model549040.html
It the comp. is on line and you have team viewer installed than I can come into it and try a few things if you don't mind. But it won't be for a couple of days because tomorrow I am going in for surgery.
Loverly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

Dead But Dreaming
Another thing you could try that would be easy is check your BIOS settings for the sound
card. If you previously had a sound card installed in a pci slot, you may have turned
the onboard sound card off. That might throw windows off a bit. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

The Devil, Probably
Slayer wrote:
The difference betwen before and after installing the driver was that the computer told me there wasn't any audio device before, and it didn't tell me that after, so the driver must have done something good, but not everything.

Excuse me, but this sounds very funny. :mrgreen:

Let's see if I can help you... Here are a few things you could check and perhaps post a screenshot or two:
  • Is the On-Board audio device enabled in the BIOS?
  • Is Windows showing an audio device in the hardware manager?
  • Do you see the speaker icon in the tray bar? What settings does it let you change and what does it show?

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

The Ancient One
You can also disable on-board sound cards with a jumper on the mother board, but I guess you haven't touched that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

The Ancient One
Thank you all for your helpful replies, I really appreciate it!

In the end I needed all of them. I downloaded the new driver, but from a different place (drivercollection.com), because the howto site gives me a program which is called Driver Detective, but instead of helping you out properly, my experience with it was a real PITA. So: driver installed.

Then I went on to check the BIOS. Didn't really find an obvious clue there, but I saw USB 2.0 was disabled and changed that. It had nothing to do with the sound problem, but still, it was very useful.

Then I went searching for the jumper on the mainboard. I found an odd cable which turned out to be connected improperly. I changed that and now it works.

So thank you all, you all gave me answers which were useful in on way or another.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Help with onboard sound

The Ancient One
:D