Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:49 am  Post subject: Google Wave

Site Admin
So I don't know who's heard of it or not, but I just got through an invite and well... I don't have anyone to talk to :lol:

I posted over at fh.org:

Merlinhoot wrote:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
lol, yeah i got my invite through (thank you anonymous stranger :) )
But 'I don't get it' too. I don't get it because its invite only which means I can't use it. Means there's little to do, little extensions and well its not very useful.

Things it will be interesting for:
  • This is the "biggy": There's some interesting bots that take what you post and post it to a blog, might be a great interface to editing ALL of your content; not just a document, but webpages, news posts, these forums, facebook, twitter, blogs, etc. If they crack the interface and the APIs, then you could pretty much edit and submit stuff from google wave to anything else. Maybe this is the google OS mentality? Ot relies on bots and compatability, but there is some appeal to me starting up a wave, throwing in the fileheaven, dead-donkey and scifi.dead-donkey.com 'Bots', then having it publish a release to each forum. Then me realising its fucked in some way, then editing it and having the bots edit the post. For example of course... this won't ever happen because it relies on third parties. I imagine that's why there's 'buzz' about google wave beyond it being a chat client.
  • Embedding content on your website, ie. we could blog up say 'the ultimate horror thread' and remove and add infacts, or say post in comments about cut status and have people jump in there and add stuff... or maybe have a big 'chat' of core members of a forum, that evolves to have ed2k links in and some cl0wn scat stuff.
  • Some collaborative shit like throwing together a document, annotating some stuff up.
  • Wasting 1 minute of your life arguing with someone, writing "XYZ is a cock", then watching them edit it to "ABC is a cock", then i go back and edit in "XYZ'd mom has a cock".

btw, is it just me or is the scrolling super crap? Seems kinda laggy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:52 am  Post subject: Re: Google Wave

Site Admin
Oh and here's the 'basic' version of what the app is supposed to do:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Google Wave

The Devil, Probably
I've had Wave for awhile but never use it... I can see the potential though.

Still have 8 invites if anyone is interested PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Google Wave
Hi guys,
Everybody can use it because a wave is equal parts conversation and document. People can communicate and work together with richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more.Any participant can reply anywhere in the message, edit the content and add participants at any point in the process. Then playback lets anyone rewind the wave to see who said what and when. It's really awesome,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:53 am  Post subject: Re: Google Wave
Google Wave has been the most hyped product on the internet since the introduction of Google’s Gmail. We take a look at what it’s got to offer and ask if it really is going to replace email.
If you’re in any way tuned into the online tech universe, you will have noticed the wires buzzing with noise over Google Wave, the latest technology to come out of the idea factory that is Google.
An early version of Google Wave has been available to developers since its ‘I/O conference’ back in late May, but in the last few weeks invitations to join have been sent to a selected few who signed up for access, or for those nominated by those who already have accounts. These have been limited in numbers and have taken a long while to get through Google’s system and, as such, these invitations are like gold dust.
The frenzy has been such that invites have even been placed on eBay, making it the most hyped new event online since Gmail.
Thankfully, IT PRO has finally gained access without having to resort to eBay and since then we’ve been trying to get our heads round this innovative but also confusing application.
The project has been headed up by the Rasmussen brothers, who first developed the Google Maps project. But Google does have a reputation for getting excited about projects and then getting distracted by the next big thing and for for every Google Maps, there’s also a Google Lively.