Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:06 am  Post subject: How often do you format?

Site Admin
I suspect that this is a windows only ceromony, or at least, nix based OSs format normally due to hardware or problems software updates. How often, or rather what is the average time between formats? Back in the day, I used to format every 6 months. After updating to XP this was bumped down even further in the early days, but has steadily getting further and further apart. Now the last time I formatted c:\ was way back in January last year :o

Basically, that was when I updated my pc properally and decided to cut down on some windows junk, and manage my partitions a bit better. I have a 60GB drive I split into a 6GB partition, a 200mb partition and then the rest as a 'active' drive. On the 6GB drive I installed XP and only a select few core apps (drivers, shell, etc.). Nothing beyond this however. I manage documents and try and confine them to 'desktop' or my documents, but apart from that the C:\ is clear of everything. The main drive is D:\. I created it as a Programs and Active drive, and created a folder called Programs, using this instead of Program Files. Inside I grouped program files to type, ie Art, Audio, Network, Tools, Video, etc.

I do run spybot, and have a AV scanner but apart from that nothing else apart from notepad (or rather Gvim) and regedit to keep things a ticking.

Works brilliantly, this way little/no conflicts, no lingering cluttered crap, spyware, junk spotted right away and everything is a whole lot simpler.

Any tips on maintaing and managing a system?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:45 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I don't suppose I should be giving you any tips, usually I'm to lazy to manage partitions, group programs (actually I can't see the point of doing that) etc. I usually have just one partition on each hdd, which means I can't format my system hdd so often because first I have to make backups, and it's not so easy to backup 60 GB of shitty horror flicks, especially if my other drive (120 GB) contains 110 of shitty horror flicks. Besides, I hate installing drivers and all that, it takes a lot of time and for some reason they behave in a different way everytime they are installed, so it's not that easy. Tried using Ghost, but it made no sense as I was changing my core software too often.

I have xp installed on both disks, the other one just in case of any emergency (virus/bad sectors/system corruption etc), as I use the machine for my work and I can't afford even a single day break. I don't use dual boot though, had some problems with it before because some files are common for both systems.

I can tell what is in my tray right at the moment:
printer config, mouse config, keyboard config, bandwidth monitor, spy sweeper, AVG, internet communicators, kerio firewall, dialer, pivot software, outlook express (minimized to tray with AllToTray), ABC BT client, eMule.

Lat time I formatted my hdd around may/june.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:00 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
group programs (actually I can't see the point of doing that) etc

Speed, time, efficiency and compatability. I know exactly what's on my computer in every folder of my porgrams folder. I can navigate to zoomplayer, or some obscure program without having to go C:\program Files\Barmy Army Obscure Name\Obscurity\Partition Magic 6. I normally manage and build many pcs a week, I can tell you most software problems are caused by absolutely no management over what and how things are installed. Most people have no clue what's hidden in program files, hell people seem to put games there which I never get --> D:\Games\GameName is the syntax I use for them.

That's the reason for that. Two main gains, I know what's there and I know where it is, and I know what shouldn't be there and what could be causing problems. :)

Anyway, on d:\ I also have my incoming and "Addons" (this is my generic name for everything I get via http, ie drivers stuff, all logically ordered for backup and storage); on drive x:\ I have all my webstuff, including local mysql and apache installation, which I use for local backups and developments of this forum (try before you buy :lol:). Drive e:\ (160GB) is nothing but emule temp files atm. Drive F:\ is missing in action, pending a new SATA cable [found out that's probably the reason for the problems, it's snapped at the plug), drive g:\ is supposed to be network shares and semi-permanant files. However, atm it also has 12DVDs for DVD-ring, Stuff ready for burning, TV episodes 'in progress', mp3z, loads of films and then

My top tip for system management is install where you want, not where it wants. If possible try to seperate windows on a partition, or even better a drive on its own (the faster the better). This means that if it ever crashes, blows up, you still have all your program settings, your files, well everything nearly safe on another drive/partition (drive failure ain't gonna save other partitions though). I used to just dump all programs and stuff on one drive, but since I switched it made a life a hell of a lot easier and enjoyable to use :)

I was in progress in writing a 'my recommended apps' thread but opera crashed on one of those shit plugin-rich sites :matrix:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:09 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
D:\Games\GameName is the syntax I use for them

Same here. For programs I usually delete all the unnecessary folders, so that it looks like: C:\Program Files\ProgramName.

Quote:
This means that if it ever crashes, blows up, you still have all your program settings, your files, well everything nearly safe on another drive/partition

And how do you restore them after the reinstallation? Do you just install the soft and then copy the old files over the freshly installed ones?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:50 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Spud: You seems to be as pedantic as me when it comes to keep the hd clean!
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:37 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Actually my D drive is still fat32....wich was made by WinME...it's where I keep all my avi stuff....

Why that partition must be over 3 years old :mrgreen:

Yes, ohgod likes to play things on the edge :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:53 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Usually every every couple of months, but last time was about a year ago, well until last week LOL and the HD unpleasantness.

I am highly organised when it comes to files and apps, every app that gets installed will be installed under a folder that is the same as the app name, rather than the default shit, makes it easier to keep track of shit that gets left behind too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:02 pm  Post subject:
a member of the recently deceased

Location: Hell ___________________________ ------ Horror Dealer ------
I format every 2 months.
Use a new OS every 4.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:27 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I will stick with XP Pro until one of 2 things happen, either I will end up using Linux ona new box, or I will get hold of a decent copy of Longhorn, altho the latter seems quite a way off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:43 pm  Post subject:

Location: Hell ___________________________ ------ Horror Dealer ------
heh. I'm XP Pro to 2000 Pro.=)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:39 am  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
Every 2 to 3 months I wipe and format then run an image of windows and all programs I made when the computer was running sweet.

<FONT COLOR="#00ffff"><B>I've gotta brand new combine harvester.
</B></FONT><B>