Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:05 pm  Post subject: InPhase Ships First Blue Laser Media

Site Admin
Quote:
InPhase Technologies, the leader in holographic data storage media and systems, have announced that it has developed and is shipping the first blue laser holographic media that enables greater amounts of information to be stored on a single disc.

The new media, Tapestry HDS5000, developed in part with funds from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), builds on InPhase's previous innovations in green wavelength holographic media. This breakthrough blue wavelength media will be used in holographic recorders and players that will have terabytes of capacity on a single disc.

The Tapestry HDS5000 media is available today for customer shipments. InPhase has been shipping holographic media to holographic device developers since 2001. Tapestry HDS5000 is photosensitive to blue laser wavelengths from 400-410 nanometers (nm). These lasers, developed for use in next-generation blue laser DVD devices, are being incorporated into InPhase's holographic systems, currently under development.

The Tapestry HDS5000 media will be available through the InPhase Media Evaluation Program. The program is designed to accelerate the development of holographic storage products in a broad range of applications by making InPhase holographic media and development equipment available to a wide variety of product developers in the digital imaging market.

"While Blu-ray and other consumer technologies popularize the benefits of blue lasers, InPhase Technologies continues to demonstrate that holographic data storage can also take advantage of these new lasers and still offer much higher capacity and performance," said Wolfgang Schlichting, research director, Removable Storage for IDC.

InPhase's Tapestry HDS-200R drive, the first-generation recordable holographic drive, will reach the market in 2006 and has 200 gigabytes of capacity with a 20 megabyte per second transfer rate. A single disc can hold almost 100 million pages of text, 200,000 photos, over 1,500 hours of audio, or 14 hours of high definition video.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:10 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
There was a thread somewhere here about dvd-9 burners,becoming the next big thing, but I think the market might skip all that and head for blue ray :)

Next year we all might be burning our divx collection on merely 4 or 5 of these beauties :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:04 am  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
there are 2 different formats of the next gen dvd players/burners. one is compatible with current dvd media, one is not.

The hd-dvd is compatible will hold 30 gig , blu ray will hold up to 50 gig and is not compatible. I believe the only way to "force" compatiblity is to include a red laser head. There are 2 ways to do this, include and extra head, that is pretty simple but not cheap, or put both on one head.

Only one company can produce a head with both red and blue/violet lasers on it, some Japanese company I think. They produced their first successful head Dec 2003 or Jan 2004 I believe. Still not being mass produced.

If it goes the blu-ray route, every cd & dvd you own will be rendered useless eventually. The manufacturers will not keep dvds backward compatible forever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:53 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
i just think its amusing that they are clear and look like those discs they use on spindles to protect the other cds.

Gonna have loads of fun when they come out.

"This disc is broken can I have it replaced?" :mrgreen: